Non-motoring > Garmin maps lifetime update should I or not ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 7

Garmin maps lifetime update should I or not ? - hawkeye
I'm getting on OK with my Garmin 1490T although it doesn't feel nearly as intuitive as earlier TomToms. I've been offered updates for the life of the unit, 4 per year for £60. Will they extend the offer in 2012 or make me a better one?

The £60 is a nuisance but not impossible; it would be more comfortable in 3 months.

What would you do and why?
 Garmin maps lifetime update should I or not ? - R.P.
It's a good deal, I signed up, paid dividends when I came ot sell it later on.
 Garmin maps lifetime update should I or not ? - Zero
If it were a TomTom I would say dont bother. Managed ok on maps up to 4 years out of date.
 Garmin maps lifetime update should I or not ? - rtj70
So have I. My TT 720 is in the car somewhere just in case now. It will get quite out of date because I don't need it in the car now.

... it will be dragged out for use in Greece in May although it might not be necessary on Lesvos. Not exactly busy on the roads.
 Garmin maps lifetime update should I or not ? - CGNorwich
You won't need a Satnav on Lesvos but you might find the standard of driving through Mytilene the capital a little intimidating .

Lovely island though, one of my favourites
Thanks CGN. One of our favourites too. We won't be driving near Mytilene though. We will stay at Anaxos and drive to some places from there. Been twice before but never bothered getting a car. Local walks in May and all that.

And in Sept - we go back to Greece to Parga. Trying to prop up the economy :-)
 Garmin maps lifetime update should I or not ? - CGNorwich
Though you might be picking up the car at the airport in which case Mytilene is unavoidable! First time there I hit it tired after a along journey and in the morning rush hour when the ferry had just got in. Aggressive driving, swarming mopeds lack of signage and a one way system! Great when you have just picked up an unfamiliar car.

May is best time on the island in my opinion as it is still green with incredible display of wild flowers. Drive from Molyvos to Skala Sikaminias in the evening is unforgettable

Thanks for the kinds thoughts again. We will sort out hire car for a local firm in Anaxos. We have airport transfers included and will only have the car for a few days in the second week.
Latest Forum Posts