Non-motoring > Heating problems Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 16

Heating problems - borasport
As when we had strong NW winds before xmas, the pilot light on our boiler keeps going out - like about a dozen times last night and at least once this morning. The wall with the flue one is exposed to the north west, and when relighting the pilot light it's possible to feel the draught coming through which is presumably what is blowing it out

Is there any short term solution, like shrouding one side of the flue, or is this likely to lead to the death of me and mine from carbon monoxide poisoning or somesuch ?

Heating problems - pete4344
There is usually an adjustment for the pilot light. You can turn it up until it stays lit in windy conditions. There is also a thermocouple that should cut off the gas if the pilot light fails - so you shouldn't die of anything except pneumonia!

No doubt there will people along telling you to get a modern boiler. Ignore them - the payback period is probably 20 years plus, for a boiler with a life of 8 - 10 years.
 Heating problems - borasport
Pete

Where would such an aduster be and what would it look like ?
the boiler is a Potterton Prima B if it helps
 Heating problems - John H
>> boiler is a Potterton Prima B >>

Full instructions for Prima B model "30B", "40B", "50B" & "60B" here:
www.partsarena.co.uk/baxi/System/DATA/Dx/DS1/installation/2512/I19-2512/I19-2512.htm

If it is one of those, see the instructions at:

page21 "Pilot Burner"
and
page 23 "G. PILOT BURNER"
and
page 26 "Figure 28 FAULT FINDING CHART"

Heating problems - FocalPoint
Under normal circumstances the standard fix for a pilot light that will not stay lit is a new thermocouple. I'm not saying yours has failed, but if it's a bit dodgy, this combined with the windy weather might be the cause of your problem.

Might be worth replacing the thermocouple? (Easy, relatively cheap job.)
 Heating problems - Zero
New thermocouple AND adjustment of the flame size will fix this, dont be temped to make the pilot light too big,
 Heating problems - Bigtee
Brittany ii T is mine and had a new thermocouple plus the gauze filter the flame sits in was clogged replaced that.

Been ok in this windy stuff he says touching wood.
 Heating problems - BiggerBadderDave
Five olive-spantles, jigged and onioned. You can use a frotting pencil on that, rude to the look-out valve on the fumpspoke and you can cut out the felching altogether. As long as you rim the satchel-arm properly first. You've already got a clip-jawed double lock brace have you?

Are you going straight or curved? Because you should be all right, as long as you remember to suck the clenching pin tight to the arc thrust. Do you want the parping couplet standing proud?

Let me know.
 Heating problems - R.P.
Indeedy.
 Heating problems - Zero
I think BBD is promoting his new weighty intellectual serious side.
 Heating problems - Dog
This is done it's how ~ www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWOTpeBVML8
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 4 Jan 12 at 19:55
 Heating problems - FocalPoint
The only thing I understood was when he mentioned...

Let me try again. The only bit I understood was the rude bit. Both of them.
 Heating problems - AnotherJohnH
>>... you remember to suck the clenching pin tight to the arc thrust. Do you want
>> the parping couplet standing proud?
>>
>>

Only in female company...
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Thu 5 Jan 12 at 10:35
 Heating problems - Robin O'Reliant
>> Five olive-spantles, jigged and onioned. You can use a frotting pencil on that, rude to
>> the look-out valve on the fumpspoke and you can cut out the felching altogether. As
>> long as you rim the satchel-arm properly first. You've already got a clip-jawed double lock
>> brace have you?
>>
>> Are you going straight or curved? Because you should be all right, as long as
>> you remember to suck the clenching pin tight to the arc thrust. Do you want
>> the parping couplet standing proud?
>>
>> Let me know.
>>
That's what I like about this forum, the level of expertise in all sorts of subject means professional help is always available, no matter what the problem.
 Heating problems - Runfer D'Hills
I do hope you don't mind Dave but we are having a new boiler fitted today and tomorrow so I took the liberty of randomly dropping some of your above jargon into the conversation with the chap who's fitting it. I'm sure he's now very aware of the calibre of customer he's dealing with...

:-)

Heating problems - R.P.
Possibly wondering what's growing in your shed office.
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 5 Jan 12 at 17:24
 Heating problems - Zero
>> I do hope you don't mind Dave but we are having a new boiler fitted
>> today and tomorrow

Your heating stopped working and the cure is a new boiler.

>> I'm sure he's now very
>> aware of the calibre of customer he's dealing with...

Indeed. ;)

Latest Forum Posts