Non-motoring > Swapping radiators. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 16

Swapping radiators. - Bigtee
Just upgraded one bedroom radiator from a single to a double 1200x600 for more heat for my sons bedroom.

Is it worth changing the rest for better heat output from radiators which are 20yrs old?

They look nice but will i gain more heat from a simple swap double for double or just more cost?

Thermostatic valves do these cut the heat off when it reaches temp say 21c?
 Swapping radiators. - spamcan61
I doubt if any small efficiency gain from swapping a 20 year old radiator for a new one would ever repay the hassle & cost.

A TRV will cut off the water flow, and hence heat, when its preset temperature is reached. It can only ever regulate down, not up, i.e. if the main thermostat isn't calling for heat then it doesn't make any difference where the TRV is set.
 Swapping radiators. - RichardW
You won't get much increase without increasing the area (ie going from single to double) - modern ones are slightly more efficient due to the fins, but not a huge amount. Need to check you are not exceeding eh boiler capacity! Is the system clean - sludge build up in the bottom of the rads reduces their heat output.

Yes, thermostatic valves close off the water once the room temp reaches desired - there's not usually a temp scalce though - it's a bit sensitive to how it's installed. In theory allows you to have cooler bedrooms whilst maintaining living space warm, and lounge rads to go off if you have a secondary heat source on (eg fireplace). If the boiler doesn't have a bypass fitted though, and most of them go off, it can make the system noisy.
 Swapping radiators. - PeterS
Turning it round, we had our boiler/radiators replaced last year (old boiler u/s). In some rooms we now just have one double radiator in place of a double and a single before, yet the rooms get up to temperature far quicker. Whether this is the modern Worcester Bosch vs old Potterton or more efficient radiators I don't know...
 Swapping radiators. - Cliff Pope
You can't get more heat out of something unless you burn more fuel.
 Swapping radiators. - PeterS
True, but presumably a radiator that transmits heat more effectively to its surrounding will warm the room up quicker and place a higher demand on the boiler for a shorter period of time?
 Swapping radiators. - Dutchie
Modern radiators are smaller but more heat output.Our radiators are 27 years old now.Heat output is fine..

I can't see much use of Thermostatic valves a radiator is either hot or cold.That is my opinion.

We had a new condensing boiler fitted about two years ago,radiators are hot in a matter of ten minutes.
 Swapping radiators. - Clk Sec
>>I can't see much use of Thermostatic valves a radiator is either hot or cold.That is my opinion.

They are well worth having in rooms that you don't use very often but want to keep aired, and in bathrooms and kitchens where you might prefer a lower temperature.

We have them on all radiators, bar the one nearest to the main thermostat, but that's probably a bit over the top.
Our house ist'n that big ClkSec Three bedrooms and the doors are left open upstairs.

The ceilings are low.This house is easy to keep warm.But if you are happy with the thermostates thats fine by me.
 Swapping radiators. - bathtub tom
Modern radiators contain less water, therefore they heat up quicker.

Replace all your twenty-year-old radiators with new ones and they'll warm up much quicker, however they'll have a quicker cool-down time.
I was thinking of swapping radiators Bathtub but the old ones are fine at the moment.These radiators take a while to cool down.

I have always looked after them flush the system every two years.Also add a rust inhibitor regulary.If they start to leak I have no choice but to change but for the time being I leave them.I wonder do to stop paying a breakdown service.I have only used them for a boiler service maybe Iam trowing money away.
 Swapping radiators. - Bigtee
Cleaned out all the rads with the pressure washer up them in the past to remove the black death, only replaced this one to a double for more heat.

Plumb centre offer the power flush machine for £35.00 per day not bothered this time.

Thanks for all comments.
 Swapping radiators. - Zero
I tend to change them when I decorate a room for the first time, It usually has to come off the wall anyway, so if its an old thick metal non finned one, I chuck it out and replace it.
 Swapping radiators. - Clk Sec
Same here. I've still got a mix of the finned and the finless, butt they'll all be changed eventually.
 Swapping radiators. - devonite
Do the !fins" actually make much difference?. especially in the middle of a double radiator?
 Swapping radiators. - Zero
I have a mix of both, and yes the newer ones do seem to release more heat into the room, no idea if its the fins or the thinner construction.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 17 Jan 12 at 17:44
 Swapping radiators. - spamcan61
In general the fin configuration does seem to make a fair difference, if you look at the heat outputs on page two of the 'compact technical information' pdf here:-

www.stelrad.com/uk/radiators/compact

Then there's about a factor of three difference between no fins and double fins on a given size radiator.

Latest Forum Posts