Non-motoring > iPod Touch 4 LCD replacement Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 31

iPod Touch 4 LCD replacement - Focusless
Son has just got back from school and showed me his iPod Touch 4th gen with a big black splodge in one corner - he says he doesn't know how it happened, 'it was just in my blazer', but I guess it's got pressed against something.

Anyone know the cheapest/safest way to get it fixed - I can see replacement parts for under £25 eg.
compare.ebay.co.uk/like/250975547046?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

but then the procedure for DIY replacement looks to require a scalpel, and I'm not sure I want to risk it:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOrFTa89sGA

I've seen a price of £56 for a place where you send the iPod and they send it back fixed - any comments/suggestions? And yes - I'll make sure he gets a hard case for it, although I'm not going to stop him taking it to school. Might insure it as well(?).
 iPod Touch 4 LCD replacement - Zero
www.theipodrepair.co.uk

In Wembley have been around longest, I know several people who have used them and they have been OK

Repair prices are usually around 70 quid for screen and glass.

Is it screen or glass or both?
>> Repair prices are usually around 70 quid for screen and glass.
>>
>> Is it screen or glass or both?

Looks like just screen. You wouldn't trust the repair for £56 in the link I posted?

EDIT: whoops sorry I didn't - will find it...
Last edited by: Focus on Tue 7 Feb 12 at 17:08
Here: tinyurl.com/7egcjy7
Dont see any reference to using genuine apple parts?
 iPod Touch 4 LCD replacement - smokie
Had my 3 Gen iPod apart numerous times - it was a 40Gb model and I nought a batch of 2nd hand disks for it, so rather than keep re-syncing it I just swapped disks to what I wanted to hear - and could carry more than 40Gb around with me.

Anyway, the first time getting it open was tricky but after that you get the knack. And the insides were really very simple, albeit with some fiddly connectors. Wouldn't hesitate to try to fix my own 4th gen one if it went wrong.
>> Wouldn't hesitate to try to fix my own 4th gen one if it went wrong.

Ok, thanks Smokie - I'll have another look at that video, but still not sure I'd want to risk it.
>> Dont see any reference to using genuine apple parts?

Good point - are non-genuine ones ok, or to be avoided?
>> >> Dont see any reference to using genuine apple parts?
>>
>> Good point - are non-genuine ones ok, or to be avoided?

Quality varies enormously, usually they are unbranded goods from the same factory(s) that makes them for apple, sometimes however they are cheap knockoffs.
Thanks Z - I'll try contacting them, see what they say.
 iPod Touch 4 LCD replacement - rtj70
Getting into a 3rd gen iPod will be a lot easier than getting into an iPod touch! And swapping the disk or battery on the former is easy. But to get the screen out of an iPod touch will require it to be taken almost totally apart. Not sure I'd want to do that myself.
 iPod Touch 4 LCD replacement - Fursty Ferret
Probably video guides on YouTube too.

Also worth dropping into an Apple store - depending on who you get they might just replace it for you.
>> Probably video guides on YouTube too.

Yep - linked to one in the OP; scalpel and heat gun required.

>> Also worth dropping into an Apple store - depending on who you get they might
>> just replace it for you.

Was thinking of doing that - we're going to Tenerife for a few days on Saturday and he'll want it with him. Apple quote £82 on their website, which I'll be willing to pay if I can take it in tomorrow when I'm in Bath and pick it up next time I'm in on Friday.

Making him go without on the holiday might be a fitting punishment for not looking after it, but having him moaning about being bored all the time would be a much worse punishment for us :)

He'll repay us somehow...
I doubt Apple stores fix these themselves - they will send it away probably. Might not be back for Saturday... can he not use it as is for now?
>> can he not use it as is for now?

Looked like he could initially, but by late yesterday evening the whole display was flickering (alternating between ok and all white).
"Getting into a 3rd gen iPod will be a lot easier than getting into an iPod touch!"

Have you done either? The screen in the 3 gen was very easy to change if required. There isn't much inside an iPod apart from a disk, control board and the screen. No screws. These things are often assembled as easily as possible to keep the cost down.
I've opened up a third gen iPod to replace the battery. I also have an iPod touch and I would imagine getting the cover off that is harder. For starters you'll need to use a heat gun to melt the glue before prizing off the front. The front panel and the LCD are basically one piece and the digitiser cable is very short and cannot be removed until you get at the logic board.

I think the construction of the iPod touch is a lot simpler (i.e. cheaper) from an assembly point of view. The iPhones are better but they would be for the price.

www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPod-Touch-4th-Generation-Front-Panel-Replacement/3639/1#s17292

Oh and do note the screws in the iPod touch 4th gen ;-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 7 Feb 12 at 22:01
And looking at what is involved - I'd not try it. Sure to end up with a non-functioning iPod touch if you're not careful.

I see there are 6 T6 Torx screws in the iPod 3rd generation too that need removing to get at the display:

www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPod-3rd-Generation-Display/386/4

But this guide looks a lot easier.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 7 Feb 12 at 22:08
 iPod Touch 4 LCD replacement - Crankcase
Colleague did something similar recently, broken screen.

We have an Apple Store a few hundred yards away, so he trogged down there. They took one look and just replaced it with another (used) one - they keep "a small batch of everything" apparently, just for this kind of thing. They even copied his data over for him.

I expect they then fixed his screen in their own good time and used it for the next one or something.

Not the cheapest way but certainly the most painless.

>> Not the cheapest way but certainly the most painless.

Actually, it is up there with the most cost effective ways for a consumer repair service.
 iPod Touch 4 LCD replacement - Bromptonaut

>> We have an Apple Store a few hundred yards away, so he trogged down there.
>> They took one look and just replaced it with another (used) one - they keep
>> "a small batch of everything" apparently, just for this kind of thing. They even copied
>> his data over for him.

Son cracked screen on his which I think is a touch 3. Apple shop charged him about £80 to swap out for a reconditioned one. He might have got it repaired cheaper but there are risks in choosing a repairer and with transit damage.

Replacement developed a dodgy headphone connection several weeks out of warranty and was replaced foc.
Just been over to the Apple glass palace (very nice) and as mentioned above they said they would probably just replace it 'depending on stock'. I asked about losing stuff on the old device and was told to back up to a PC/iTunes; they didn't mention copying from old to new.

So I'm going to take it back home this evening to give son a chance to back up anything important, then return to the store on Friday with fingers crossed.
Yes, I'd forgotten that - my first 3rd gen failed (disk problem IIRC) just outside warranty, took it to the Apple store in Regent Street and they simply swapped it for what appeared to be a brand new one. ISTR I had to pre-book an appointment slot with them online.
That's a good service - but I'd feel like I then had a second hand unit. Well that is exactly what you'd be getting.

But it does mean they can send the failed units away to fix them by trained staff.

I suppose someone might try to get one over on Apple. If there were a few faults with an iPod... pay for a new screen ;-)
>> ISTR I had to pre-book an appointment slot with them online.
>>

Yeah, the lad had to do that and persuade Dad to drive him to nearest shop which is in MK. We were first customers on a Sunday Morning. Interesting bit was to witness some sort of tech bar guy's team meeting; much more participative than they are in my place!!
>> ISTR I had to pre-book an appointment slot with them online.

I'm booked in for 9am Friday morning.
Just back from the Apple store with a new(-ish) iPod and a receipt for £75 - bargain!
now slap the child
>> now slap the child

He's bigger than me!
Make him work nights as a doorman to pay it back then
In my house the insurance company of Mum and Dad charge an excess!!
Well we'll be withholding his bathroom cleaning money for a good few weeks; he's not getting off that easily.
Latest Forum Posts