Non-motoring > Six Nations 2012 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 17

Six Nations 2012 - Duncan
A good win yesterday for Wales, they could do the Grand Slam, but I think France will stop them.

Will Scotland come second today? Who knows?

Sat 4th Feb 12 14:30 France 30 - 12 Italy
Sat 4th Feb 12 17:00 Scotland 6 - 13 England
Sun 5th Feb 12 15:00 Ireland 21 - 23 Wales
Sat 11th Feb 12 16:00 Italy 15 - 19 England
Sun 12th Feb 12 15:00 Wales 27 - 13 Scotland
Sat 25th Feb 12 13:30 Ireland 42 - 10 Italy
Sat 25th Feb 12 16:00 England 12 - 19 Wales
Sun 26th Feb 12 15:00 Scotland v France
Sun 4th Mar 12 15:00 France v Ireland
Sat 10th Mar 12 14:30 Wales v Italy
Sat 10th Mar 12 17:00 Ireland v Scotland
Sun 11th Mar 12 15:00 France v England
Sat 17th Mar 12 12:30 Italy v Scotland
Sat 17th Mar 12 14:45 Wales v France
Sat 17th Mar 12 17:00 England v Ireland
Last edited by: Duncan on Sun 26 Feb 12 at 07:25
 Six Nations 2012 - R.P.
Wales played well against Scotland and Ireland, I didn't watch the match yesterday (bar the last half hour) but the pundits say they didn't play as well as they should/could have - seems the Scott Williams try was the clincher in a close match. They've got a lot of injuries and off their NZ peak. What always strikes me is the true sportsmanship of the games, especially at the end when team-members of both sides were shaking hands etc. England seemed genuinely crestfallen unlike their soccer counterparts when they lose. Must be a different world non-segregation of the the crowds and allowing alcohol in the stadiums. Where has soccer gone wrong ?

Sam Warburton comes across well in interviews.
When I posted the OP, I should have said that I hoped it would be a (fairly) serious discussion of the six nations rugby scene, rather than a yah boo of any other sports.

Perhaps we could save that for another thread?

Six Nations 2012 - R.P.
Post match observation that's all.
 Six Nations 2012 - Iffy
I'd discuss rugby if I understood it, which I don't, despite playing it at school.

Quite like the radio commentary - Ian Robertson's voice and general patter seems to me well-suited to the game.

Six Nations 2012 - swiss tony
>> I'd discuss rugby if I understood it, which I don't, despite playing it at school.
>>

I believe its a bit like soccer, except the fighting happens ON the pitch not in the stands, you're allowed to carry the ball, and the goal posts are extended upwards, past the crossbar.

Is there anything else I should know about it?
 Six Nations 2012 - Iffy
...except the fighting happens ON the pitch not in the stands...

Yes, I admire the rugger chaps for that, if they want to fill someone in, they do it properly.

Six Nations 2012 - sherlock47
>>>d discuss rugby if I understood it, which I don't, despite playing it at school.<<

Don't worry that you do not understand it, the rules have changed many times since 1920s :)

I regularly watch with a bunch of ex-players in the age range of 45 -75 and they constantly argue and disagree on the interpretation of the rules. They all (individually) regard the correct interpretation as being that which applied when they gave up playing!

>> Post match observation that's all.
>>

No reprimand intended Rob ;-)
 Six Nations 2012 - Roger.
Wales & England always causes dissension in our house! SWMBO is Welsh, while i am 75% English with a 25% dash of Irish!
Yesterday's game was a nail-biter. I swear my blood pressure soared!.
I thought Wales played as well as England let them. Both sides gave 100%, which from an England point of view was hugely encouraging after the world Cup debacle.
I could not understand the late England tactical substitutions as none of the replacements performed as wellas the replacees.
Ben Youngs is a shadow of his former self and until he regains form should not figure in the side. The new scrum & fly half pairing worked well most of the time delivering quick ball.
Farrell, until forced off by injury was a major playmaker for England and should go far.
A facet of play that was really irritating was the occasional very long delay in delivering the ball from more "formal" rucks.
This was a game which could have gone either way. Full marks to Wales for hanging in there.
I look forward to seeing England improve yert again in their remaining matches.

Six Nations 2012 - R.P.
As an aside - the faces of the various Staff said it all at the end - the faces of the England team were a picture - and to see Gatland smile and laugh was a tonic, and to see the normally miserable looking Robin McBride smile was amazing. McBride's parents lived the village we recently moved from, his dad died in the last few years, he was just as much of a misery as his son apparently. One of the locals said he used to take his kids to the local playground to pass rugby balls, a couple of local fathers would suddenly venture there with theirs....
 Six Nations 2012 - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17168428

A very good report on yesterday's match, underlines Sam Warburtons nice-guy persona really.
 Six Nations 2012 - lancara
One thing soccer can learn - technology doesn't end the refereeing contraversies
 Six Nations 2012 - Harleyman
I'm disappointed to see Strettle complaining about the unawarded try; though I agree that the ref should perhaps have played the advantage and gone with an England penalty.

Would have taken a superb conversion to level it though, so I think the end result would've stood.

Another good game today!
The Scots are getting better, but oh - the handling errors!
>> I'm disappointed to see Strettle complaining about the unawarded try; though I agree that the
>> ref should perhaps have played the advantage and gone with an England penalty.
>>
>> Would have taken a superb conversion to level it though, so I think the end
>> result would've stood.

As an Englishman I have to agree - post match complaints are for other, lesser, sports.
A conversion from there without an England recognised place kicker on the field would, I concur, been unlikely.
So; only France and Wales with clean sheets. This could get good.
 Six Nations 2012 - R.P.
Cracking old fashioned game - a good win for Wales - makes up for the World Cup thing !

Self Belief - that's what the guy said !
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 17 Mar 12 at 16:39
Latest Forum Posts