Non-motoring > Sale of Domain name - any advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 3

Sale of Domain name - any advice - smokie
I "own" a domain name, which is my wife's firstnamelastname.com.

I've had what appears to be a genuine approach to buy it, which I initially rejected. I've now received a further email asking if $2000 would make me think again, which of course it has. I'm thinking that an initial offer of$2k could indicate a starting point for negotiation!

The buyer appears to be a genuine freelance web developer for personal and corporates in the States.

My wife rather likes her domain name, as her email address is very simple and easy to remember, and would not need to change if we ere ever to change our ISP. Shehas an average number of friends and IMO, if the offer is serious, it wouldn't be too painful to change it (I have just grabbed the .co.uk version as a fallback).

It's only used as a mail forwarder, there is no associated web page.

Other than it not being a genuine offer, has anyone got any thoughts on how I should approach this? Ought I involve a lawyer or if the cash turns up in the bank account do I simply relinquish it (I realise there must be a process for this which I shall research when I'm back from Florida).
 Sale of Domain name - any advice - Mapmaker
Happy to be corrected, but I cannot imagine a lawyer costing you a penny less than £500. Which is a third of what you have been offered. Conveyancing property is easy as they do it every day; my suspicion is that a domain name would be less simple for them.

What's the worst case scenario if it all goes wrong? You lose a domain name that is of no value to you, and you get no cash either.

Make sure that the cash is sent to you by Western Union... and don't spend it until you have waited a month or three for it to be reclaimed.
 Sale of Domain name - any advice - Zero
you'll need to get your domain name registrar involved, they will have a process for transferring ownership. You don't own the domain name, you merely rent it.

There will be a fee for transfer, you need to find out what it is and add it top the price you are getting.
 Sale of Domain name - any advice - teabelly
Worth a look on here to see if there is some useful information:
www.sedo.com/us/home/getting-started/
Latest Forum Posts