Non-motoring > A Petition Worth Signing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 18

A Petition Worth Signing - Robin O'Reliant
There is a petition asking HMG to exempt air ambulances from fuel duty the same as RNLI boats are at the moment. It needs 100,000 signatures to force a debate in Parliament, so far it's reached over 72,000.

I'm sure most will agree it's worth signing, we never know when we might need the service ourselves. Please sign and forward the link to any other forums you visit.

epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/29349
 A Petition Worth Signing - R.P.
Shared it on my various FB groups, full of types who will sign and share.
 A Petition Worth Signing - Pat
I've signed it and will post a link on our forums.

Pat
 A Petition Worth Signing - Slidingpillar
I was alerted to this a couple of days ago by my neighbourhood watch. Signed of course.
 A Petition Worth Signing - mikeyb
Nice to see the petition system being used for a worthwhile reason, and not self gain
 A Petition Worth Signing - sajid
how about a petition to reduce the vat element of the petrol, as the way i think you cant have a duty and vat together tax and tax, reducing it will stimulate the economy and people can use their cars more
 A Petition Worth Signing - mikeyb
>> how about a petition to reduce the vat element of the petrol, as the way
>> i think you cant have a duty and vat together tax and tax, reducing it
>> will stimulate the economy and people can use their cars more
>>

No point because millions would sign it leading to a pointless debate. Fuel tax's will stay where they are for as long as I'm alive because the Govt needs the revenue.

Where else would you propose the lost billions of taxation are generated from?
 A Petition Worth Signing - MD
How critical is filling in ALL details on these things.............just asking, done a few so far.
 A Petition Worth Signing - Londoner
Signed as soon as I saw what it was about. Great idea!
 A Petition Worth Signing - Zero
You could do more, I am a friend of the Surrey Air Ambulance, and gift aid them.

Its based at Dunsfold (Yes Top gear) do you know the snotty toffs who live round there got the air ambulance banned from flying at night "in case it disturbs their sleep"

A Petition Worth Signing - sajid
the govt could reinivest in manufacturing, they could recover the lost billions by reducing foreign aid, like in india, reduce mp allowances, reduce mp salaries to reflect real living wage earned, reduce the numbers those in the house of commons and lords do we need that many, reduce the influence of the eec, by going back to being traders in the common market, adopt the gold standard, negotiate on argricultural subsidies, promote greener living, ie solar etc

i could go on

oh reduce immigration

and another thing

make politicans accountable

A Petition Worth Signing - An update. - henry k
The Commons debate. 11 Jul 2012
( I missed this and maybe others missed it too.)

www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2012-07-11a.386.0

and ends
"....calls on the Government to conduct an urgent review of this situation; and further calls on the Government, in the next 12 months, to consider providing for grants to the Air Ambulance Service commensurate to the sums incurred by the Air Ambulance Service for the VAT on the fuel they purchase, and to publish the outcome of that review within this timescale.
Last edited by: henry k on Thu 16 Aug 12 at 22:22
 A Petition Worth Signing - An update. - tyro
I'm not sure about this one.

I think that Air Ambulances are an excellent cause, and I think that it is admirable that air ambulances south of the border are charitably funded. (Up here is Scotland, they are state funded.)

I do, however, have reservations about the idea that certain organisations should be exempt from fuel duty. Again, I think that the RNLI is a great institution, but there are a lot of charities who do good work which involves the purchase of fuel for which duty must be paid, and a lot of charities do good work which involves the purchase of goods and services for which VAT must be paid. (There are also a lot of charities who do stuff which is a waste of time and money, but let's not go there . . . .) How do you decide you gets exempted and who doesn't? And is it really fair that some organisations get exempted and some don't? In short, I think that laws, including tax laws, should apply without fear or favour - or exception - to everyone.

Zero has got it right. Those who think that this is a good cause should make an effort to give real financial support. It's easy and cheap to sign an electronic petition. Putting your hand in your pocket, setting up a standing order, etc, is a better answer - but more difficult.
 A Petition Worth Signing - An update. - Duncan
>> I think that Air Ambulances are an excellent cause, and I think that it is
>> admirable that air ambulances south of the border are charitably funded. (Up here is Scotland, they are state funded.)

I think it would be even more admirable if the Air Ambulance Service were funded by the state in England and Wales. Why on earth should they have to rely upon the whims of charitable donations?
Last edited by: Duncan on Fri 17 Aug 12 at 09:46
 A Petition Worth Signing - An update. - devonite
I wonder if the "Founders" of such Charitable and Honorable Organisations would want to be basically "taken over" by THIS Government!
 A Petition Worth Signing - An update. - Duncan
>> I wonder if the "Founders" of such Charitable and Honorable Organisations would want to be
>> basically "taken over" by THIS Government!
>>

So the red tie brigade would be ok?
 A Petition Worth Signing - An update. - devonite
Probably they would be no better! - I think it would be better (seeing as they are a "peoples" Charity) that they should change the "Arts" element of the National Lottery(that is more for the "Wealthy), to the Air Ambulance. More "Common" folk would benefit, as more "Common" folk fund the Lottery. Similar to what they did when they wanted us to fund their Olympics!
Last edited by: devonite on Fri 17 Aug 12 at 10:39
 A Petition Worth Signing - An update. - zookeeper
not much call for RNLI in my neck of the woods but whole heartedly support the brave guys....i remember they used to have a collection box in the 'wet' fish shop that was a lifeboat....you put your old penny on the ship and it shot down the skid rail depositing the penny. anyway gets my signiature
 A Petition Worth Signing - An update. - No FM2R
>>have reservations about the idea that certain organisations should be exempt from fuel duty.

I agree. They should be funded somehow, but making that kind of exception is asking for trouble. Its probably also unworkable.
Latest Forum Posts