Computer Related > Land Registry Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 17

Land Registry - L'escargot
I wanted to view the title register of a property we're interested in but it wouldn't download.
I turned off the popup blocker, installed Java, logged on, found the property and paid the fee, but it just wouldn't download. Any suggestions as to what I might have not done or what I might have done wrong. I currently have Windows 7 and IE9. I had no problem with the Land Registry on my previous XP computer.
 Land Registry - John H
>> I currently have Windows 7 and IE9. >>

Bad luck.
www1.landregistry.gov.uk/terms-and-conditions/internet-browser-support-policy

try compatibility view on IE9

>> the title register of a property we're interested in but it wouldn't download. >>
test a download using this link:
www.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/QDMPS-Portlet/resources/example_register.pdf

>> paid the fee, >>
to get a refund - go their solving problems link and find:
"What do I do when my download appears to have failed?"

Last edited by: John H on Tue 20 Mar 12 at 19:15
>> www1.landregistry.gov.uk/terms-and-conditions/internet-browser-support-policy
>>

My interpretation of that is that it won't work at all with Windows 7. Am I right?
 Land Registry - John H
>> My interpretation of that is that it won't work at all with Windows 7. Am I right? >>

Ask them, but I take it that the test download failed.

If you are right, then install/run XP mode on your windows 7.

I've claimed a refund, and I hope they'll realise that currently there will be a lot of people with a new(ish) computer that won't be able to use their service.
 Land Registry - John H
>> I've claimed a refund, and I hope they'll realise that currently there will be a
>> lot of people with a new(ish) computer that won't be able to use their service.
>>

You are making an assumption unless you have contacted them and they have confirmed that your generic software is to blame.

It is more likely that your specific PC configuration is to blame, and likely that the land registry website page on browser requirements is out of date. Although it has to be said that their whole website design looks pretty outdated and is clunky.

p.s. you have not stated whether the test pdf download failed.

Land Registry - Zero
I would hazard a guess that its an issue with IE9, and that installing another browser (chrome for example) would resolve the issue.

I don't think anyone can surf ALL the various websites without issue if they just have IE9 installed.
>> >> I've claimed a refund, and I hope they'll realise that currently there will be
>> a
>> >> lot of people with a new(ish) computer that won't be able to use their
>> service.
>> >>
>>

>> You are making an assumption unless you have contacted them and they have confirmed that
>> your generic software is to blame.

I've contacted Land Registry and I've received a reply. They gave me a complimentary file attachment of the information I wanted and an assurance that I would receive a refund. They asked for details of my computer configuration (which I've just sent them) so that they could investigate the problem further.

>> p.s. you have not stated whether the test pdf download failed.

I tried to follow the instructions but failed to initiate the procedure for the test pdf download. Remember that I'm a computer duffer!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 21 Mar 12 at 19:02
 Land Registry - Focusless
>> >> p.s. you have not stated whether the test pdf download failed.
>>
>> I tried to follow the instructions but failed to initiate the procedure for the test
>> pdf download. Remember that I'm a computer duffer!

Just click on the link in the post - if a page with 'Title number: CS72510' at the top appears, you've passed the test.
>> Just click on the link in the post - if a page with 'Title number:
>> CS72510' at the top appears, you've passed the test.
>>

It did appear.
 Land Registry - John H
As Focus says, just click on the pdf link I quoted. here it is again:

www.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/QDMPS-Portlet/resources/example_register.pdf

Also, try clicking on these three pdf links to test if it is your PC or more than just the landregistry website to blame:

1. download.microsoft.com/download/b/1/8/b180af00-6eae-490e-88d6-71ec4f4af01a/CFS3_Manual_EN.pdf

2. acrobatusers.com/assets/collections/tutorials/legacy/2006/linking_javascript/linking_javascript_sample.pdf

3. www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@over50/documents/digitalasset/dg_180391.pdf

(source page www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_179755 )

>> Remember that I'm a computer duffer! >>
Don't do yourself down. With your technical background in the motor industry, and your logical (and pedantic) mind, IT stuff should be a doddle for you. ;-)
 Land Registry - Roger.
Just tried the Land Registry pdf link and it worked OK in Linux Mint!
>> 1. download.microsoft.com/download/b/1/8/b180af00-6eae-490e-88d6-71ec4f4af01a/CFS3_Manual_EN.pdf

404 - File or directory not found.

>> 2. acrobatusers.com/assets/collections/tutorials/legacy/2006/linking_javascript/linking_javascript_sample.pdf

Firstly the widget was magnified. Secondly it rotated ot show the other side. Thirdly it returned to the default view. No bolts were removed.

>> 3. www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@over50/documents/digitalasset/dg_180391.pdf

State Pension claim form appeared.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 22 Mar 12 at 09:14
 Land Registry - John H
>> >> 1. download.microsoft.com/download/b/1/8/b180af00-6eae-490e-88d6-71ec4f4af01a/CFS3_Manual_EN.pdf
>>
>> 404 - File or directory not found.
>>

Strange, it worked yesterday. I too now get 404 error!

Land Registry - Pat
I'm on Windows 7 and got exactly the same as you L'es on all three links.

Pat
 Land Registry - John H
re. link 1 error 404:

Try this microsoft link instead:
www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/Combat_Flight_Simulator_3_Strategy_Sample_Chapter.pdf

re. link 2:
You should have had a pdf document open up with a javascript applet where you can "play" with the widget. It seems from you post that your javascript engine may not be working correctly. check you have the latest version:
www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

re. link 3:
so it was a success.

>> >> www.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/QDMPS-Portlet/resources/example_register.pdf
>>
>> I got Title number: CS72510
>>

Therefore at least part of the landregistry website works on your PC.

>> (source page www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_179755 )

Until I looked at it more closely I thought it said DoltOnline. That would be me alright!
>> As Focus says, just click on the pdf link I quoted. here it is again:
>>
>> www.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/QDMPS-Portlet/resources/example_register.pdf

I got Title number: CS72510
Latest Forum Posts