Thread Author: borasport Replies: 14

(more) network problems - borasport
we've had multiple internet issues over the weekend ,characterised as follows-

cant' access interent from pc or laptop or phone
wireless network still apears as visible but disconnectedfrom pc/laptop/phone
can't reconnect to wireless network
reset wireless adaptor ames no difference

reboot router nad hey presto, all is ok

I cant see anyhting being wrong other than the router - anything to check before I replace it ?
Last edited by: borasport on Sun 25 Mar 12 at 22:23
 (more) network problems - rtj70
What ISP and type of connection (ADSL, VDSL, cable)? What make/model of router?

When you cannot access the Internet can you ping from say PC to laptop and vice-versa to check local network is working? Can you ping the router from the PC or laptop if the previous test fails?

You say reboot router works. Is that a combined ADSL modem, router and wireless access point?

I agree it sounds like the 'router' but it could be an issue on the wireless side of your network (including the 'router'), or the Internet connection (so ADSL modem side of 'router' or the connection to ISP).

We need a bit more info to help pinpoint the problem. It could just be there are other houses with wireless access point using the same channel (or adjacent) to your 'router'.
 (more) network problems - Zero
is it just the wireless that goes dow or is it the ADSL link?

What do the router logs say?

It is a 3com wireless router and madasafish (plusnet) ADSL.

There have been a number of occasions over the weekend when it has not been possible to access it either by keying the IP address into a browser, or pinging it.
Also situations like this morning where according to the app on my phone, the network is visible, but the web browser wont connect, and attempts to update apps on the phone fail saying 'no connection'

What would I be looking for in the router logs ?

Madasafish report having had issues last week, but nothing since Friday - we've had issues all weekend
Just dive into the logs and tell us what you have most of.

you can't ping the router? you still haven't said if this is only over wireless (it sounds like it) or not. Do you have a wired connection
All the devices in the house connect to the router wirelessly, if thats what you are asking
I was, and that clarifies it.

Now thats a bit of a problem, if nothing connects to the router, and you have to reboot it to get access again, the logs are wiped and any possible cause is lost.
 (more) network problems - Dog
Ask mad fish to send you a TG582N router.
 (more) network problems - rtj70
borasport, You have a laptop so what happens if you plug this into the router via Ethernet. I am assuming the router has an Ethernet port.
dunno - will have to see if I can find a cable when I get home
I hoped to spend some time at home today trying to work out where the problem is, but I can't do that when there appear to be major issues - my ISP is saying

'This is an update to this morning's post about the major service outage affecting a large number of our broadband customers.

The cause of the problem has now been confirmed as a large network outage affecting our supplier's network. This is affecting multiple ISP's as well as Plusnet'

I'm guessing 'the supplier' is BT ?
anybody with any other ISP's than Plusnet having problems, and if so, are you still having them ?
btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status/a_id/19500#ans_19500
Hmmm - nothing there that relates to a 'major service outage' today
curious
 (more) network problems - Bromptonaut
Couldn't get anything around 07:30 this morning due what Chrome described as problem accessing DNS server. By the time I'd done a restart and made a pot of tea it was OK though.

ISP is Demon but infrastructure is BT.
 (more) network problems - John H
>> anybody with any other ISP's than Plusnet having problems, >>

had problems all day trying to log on to Barclays internet bank.

>> and if so, are you still having them ? >>

Yes, still very sluggish.

Latest Forum Posts