Computer Related > Another PC - won't start never mind crash Computing Issues
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 23

Another PC - won't start never mind crash - Focusless
Stepson's PC which I built for other stepson back in August 2005 is ill; won't start up at all. Initially the burning smell from the PSU resulted in him replacing it, but the result with the new PSU is the same (without the burning smell).

I've just been looking at it, and have taken everything out - all that's left connected to the motherboard (Asus, not sure which model) is the CPU (Intel P4, 478). When you turn on the power at the PSU, the green LED on the motherboard comes on. But then if I power up the PC, the CPU fan starts to spin but stops almost immediately, and there's a red LED next to the green LED on the motherboard which flashes briefly.

If I turn the PSU to off, then turn it back on again and attempt to power up the PC, the same thing happens.

There's not much it can be apart from the motherboard or CPU, but any thoughts/suggestions?
 Another PC - won't start never mind crash - rtj70
The LED is telling you what the problem is. So figure out what board is in there and go from there.

If the PSU failed then it could easily have fried a few components. Luckily it's 7 years old so not worth much. Look on the positive side. I'd agree it's probably the motherboard and/or CPU... so you're stuffed when it comes to replacing them really. Might as well upgrade.
 Another PC - won't start never mind crash - rtj70
You sure the new PSU is fitted correctly and working? Did you connect all the leads from PSU to motherboard, GPU etc.?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 26 Mar 12 at 22:26
 Another PC - won't start never mind crash - RattleandSmoke
What power supply did you fit in it? It is not unknown for new PSUs to be faulty. From my experience provided the original PSU was half decent no damage should have occurred as most modern PSUs (even 7 years old) have protection circuits in built in, but the cheap crap doesn't have this.

If it turns off and goes off straight away it is often because the PSU has detected a short some where. Often a damaged USB pin or something. If you're 100% sure the PSU is good, remove the motherboard and see if you can get it boot that way, I've got a lot of apparently dead PCs working that way, then discovered the short in the process of removing the board.
I'm pretty sure the PSU is ok - it's one of these:
www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupplies/nov-psu450.html
because we've got one of the Novatech branches just a mile or 2 away.

Everything is connected, but I'll try taking out the motherboard later, good idea.

Stepson is quite hard up at the moment so he just wants a cheap solution. If we can't get the PC going I'm watching a few local things on ebay such as this:
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190656129265
Wouldn't mind betting it is the PSU, cheap PSUs often even lie about their specs. They don't have the protection circuits they are supposed to have etc.
>> Wouldn't mind betting it is the PSU, cheap PSUs often even lie about their specs.
>> They don't have the protection circuits they are supposed to have etc.

Remember this is only powering a motherboard + CPU. It looks like the same symptoms with both old and new PSUs - you think they're both faulty?

I've never had problems with cheap PSUs in the past, although there's a first time for everything.
It is just a possibility you cannot rule out, it is more common than you think. Mostly likely it isn't the PSU but there is a good chance it is.

Personally I never risk the cheap ones, as I have to put my name to it, if it blows up at least I can see in court it is a genuine PSU made in this factory etc. The problem with the cheap ones is its made by who?

While I have not come across this myself, I have had them go bang in my face and I know of a tech who this happened to:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVN6eOEPins
 Another PC - won't start never mind crash - John H
>> cheap PSUs >>

There is no evidence to suggest that your Novatech PSU was a "cheap" one; for starters they would have cut corners saving on the on/off switch.

As your stepson is so short of cash, ask him to go cut a few lawns to make enough money to pay for a new "cheap" PC.
www.ebuyer.com/344622-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7873-1057

or send him to real live auction, such as this one being held today in Chertsey (item nos. 7501 onwards)
www.wellersauctions.com/catalogue/GN270312.html

There is a reason why you don't find them in proper OEM machines. Open up a cheap PSU and the one from a cheap basic HP, you will see a big difference in quality.
Given up - picking up that ebay PC tonight (didn't get any bids at £50 so I offered the buyer £40 and he's accepted).
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190656129265

Might put some of the old PC's bits on ebay myself, 50p no reserve; someone might at least take the 80GB IDE drive (assuming I can connect it to something to clear it). Freecycle the stuff I can't hide from Mrs F in the garage :)
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 28 Mar 12 at 11:53
 Another PC - won't start never mind crash - swiss tony
How much would you want for the HD?
>> How much would you want for the HD?

If you want it ST you could have it for a fiver (Mrs F tells me off if I give things away to 'strangers'); are you anywhere near Reading?
Yes, I'm in High Wycombe....
A fiver sounds more than fair.
Let me check what data stepson wants off it first - probably nothing - then you're welcome to drop by. I'll ask the mods to pass on my details.
Details received, and Email sent.

Cheers Mods.
 Another PC - won't start never mind crash - Zero
I have actually fixed one of those for a family friend.

It worked much better after I removed a huge ball of dog fur from the CPU fan so it could turn again.
Just picked it up, and very nice it is too. I had assumed the monitor was CRT, but in fact it's a 17" LCD - felt a bit guilty about knocking him down to £40 so I said I'd drop off a tenner next time I was passing. Nice middle aged chap in a fairly posh bit of Reading, new-ish i30 on the drive, so hopefully there's no hidden problems. Stepson really pleased; good result I think.
clean the cpu fan out.
>> clean the cpu fan out.

Will do, although judging by the state of the buyer's house I suspect it might not be too bad.
 Another PC - won't start never mind crash - VxFan
>> >> clean the cpu fan out.
>>
>> Will do, although judging by the state of the buyer's house I suspect it might
>> not be too bad.

My mum is that house proud, you could eat your dinner off the floor. Still doesn't stop the dust building up in my desktop PC though. Every 6 to 8 months I open up the case and clean the thick build up of dust off the processor fan, case fan, and power supply fan, along with a general flick around the motherboard and other surfaces with a paint brush and cordless hoover nearby. Probably why it's over 9 years old and still working. Advent 3418 model.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 28 Mar 12 at 21:17
Doesn't matter, I give it 6 months. Focus's house is a PC killer, it doesn't know it but poor packard bell has gone down to computer hades
Mmm... you might have something there. Perhaps I should try an exorcism?
I'd forgotten - this explains it:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=3387&m=68466&v=e

(that's stepson's room window)
Latest Forum Posts