Computer Related > Apple Mac Trojan attack. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 19

Apple Mac Trojan attack. - R.P.
There's an important Java update available, unless you manually launch it it will wait for the next scheduled update which may be a few days away (as it was in my case) - check your updates now.
 Apple Mac Trojan attack. - Zero
Did mine yesterday.
 Apple Mac Trojan attack. - Fullchat
Only for OS 10.6 apparently. I'm on 10.7.3.
>> Only for OS 10.6 apparently. I'm on 10.7.3.

Wouldn't bank on it.

Java for OS X Lion 2012-002 and Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 7
Java

Available for: Mac OS X v10.6.8, Mac OS X Server v10.6.8, OS X Lion v10.7.3, Lion Server v10.7.3

Impact: Multiple vulnerabilities in Java 1.6.0_29

Description: Multiple vulnerabilities exist in Java 1.6.0_29, the most serious of which may allow an untrusted Java applet to execute arbitrary code outside the Java sandbox. Visiting a web page containing a maliciously crafted untrusted Java applet may lead to arbitrary code execution with the privileges of the current user. These issues are addressed by updating to Java version 1.6.0_31. Further information is available via the Java website

It every much depends on the level of Java. Advisable to update to the latest even if you are on 10.7.3 - I am and I did.

Apple says software up to date and Java says update 7 is for OS 10.6. should I be looking for something else?
Click spotlight - (top right)

Enter and search JAVA

click Java Preferences

in the general box should be 1.6.0_31 under the version column.

If you have done the latest Apple update it will be.

On a side note, on Windows machines Java is updated by Oracle, and you need to have java set to check for updates and download. (it can be turned off)

On Apple OS, updates are provided by Oracle to Apple who then incorporate them in the Mac update.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 9 Apr 12 at 11:34
 Apple Mac Trojan attack. - Iffy
...in the general box should be 1.6.0_31 under the version column...

That's what appears on my Mac, is that good or bad?

Apple Mac Trojan attack. - rtj70
Zero and I can assume you updated the Mac software recently and accepted the Java update then.

Don't you read what is on screen that you are accepting? :-)

But you do appear to have the latest version of Java for MacOS X.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 10 Apr 12 at 18:27
...Don't you read what is on screen that you are accepting? :-)...

I wait for the Mac to offer an auto-updates.

I do read before accepting, but can't recall any mention of Java, although there may have been a MacOS X update.

>> ...in the general box should be 1.6.0_31 under the version column...
>>
>> That's what appears on my Mac, is that good or bad?

is good
...is good...

Thanks.

Just out of interest, there's two identical entries in the general box, one for 32-bit, one for 64-bit.
yeah, you have a 64 bit operating system, but there is a 32 bit version of Java as well for backwards compatibility.
&me2
 Apple Mac Trojan attack. - Rudedog
Looks like a Java Update 8 is just out tonight so people may need to do another Software Update to install it.
Thanks for the prompt - it is available tonight.
 Apple Mac Trojan attack. - rtj70
There is another Java update from Apple tonight, and it is now:1.6.0_31-b04-415

That's three updates in a week. But not concerned because (a) Apple MacOS X and (b) I run AV software and I don't assume Mac's are safe - they are not!
This Java security update removes the most common variants of the Flashback malware.

This update also configures the Java web plug-in to disable the automatic execution of Java applets. Users may re-enable automatic execution of Java applets using the Java Preferences application. If the Java web plug-in detects that no applets have been run for an extended period of time it will again disable Java applets.

This update is recommended for all Mac users with Java installed.

For details about this update see: support.apple.com/kb/HT5242
Ironic init, all this time I have been vulnerable to windows attacks but never had one, and the moment I get an apple machine I get slapped with a nasty Windows virus, and MAc OS starts to fall apart with vulnerabilities.

Kismet!

Up to speed again.
 Apple Mac Trojan attack. - Rudedog
Just in case you need to do a manual software update, Security Update 2012-002 is now available for download.
Latest Forum Posts