Computer Related > Left vs right shift key Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 11

Left vs right shift key - movilogo
Why the left shift key in UK keyboards are so smaller than right shift key? I usually use left shift key more often than right one.

In US keyboard, both shift keys are of equal size.

Left vs right shift key - Zero
It varies from keyboard make to keyboard maker, but usually the UK keyboard has an extra key on the bottom row that needs to make room for.
May be but I wonder why those keys are in the first place.

I never had to use any of these keys: ¬ ¦

Only significant difference from US keyboard I find inclusion of £ and € signs.

It is easy to remap any existing key but I can't resize physical small left shift key :-(

buy a US keyboard then
Cannot buy a laptop with US keyboard in UK. At least not from high street stores AFAiK.
Not but you can buy a US keyboard for your laptop from the US.
 Left vs right shift key - VxFan
Is it being smaller causing any issues?
 Left vs right shift key - The Nut
What is ¦ used for anyway, I think | is used in some programming languages and I use it on CLI stuff but I don't think I have ever found a use for ¦.
 Left vs right shift key - rtj70
The 'pipe' character (|) is used on the command line as you say - it can be used to 'pipe' the output of one command to another. Used a lot on Unix and Linux, e.g. sending the output of ls to more:

ls | more

On my laptop the ¦ character is on a key next to the '1' key and '' is next to shift. On a desktop keyboard it is the other way around on the keyboard.... but the key next to shift on both produces the actual pipe character '|". So the key you refer to usually produces the same character that is useful.

No idea what you'd use ¦ for either. But the key it's on if it's next to the left shift key usually produces | in my experience.
 Left vs right shift key - Crankcase
Use | all the time, eg:

Get-ExchangeAdministrator|FL

Left vs right shift key - L'escargot
I can't see a right hand shift key on my Acer keyboard.
 Left vs right shift key - The Nut
>> I can't see a right hand shift key on my Acer keyboard.
>>
Unusual key to miss out, even the netbooks I occasionally use have both shift keys as touch typists normally use both. Although my daughters Acer laptop has a terrible keyboard to type on, reduces me to two finger typing.
Latest Forum Posts