Computer Related > Classic FM on internet radio Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 14

Classic FM on internet radio - Mike H
We've been listening to Classic FM on internet radio (not a PC) quite happily for the last 15 months, using a WMA stream. Suddenly, a few weeks ago, it wouldn't load, buffering up to 58% then stopping. "Retuning" it, or whatever the term is that is used for internet radio, produced an MP3 stream, but we've been suffering a lot of short interruptions which we didn't get before irrepective of whatever else is happening on our line. Any ideas on improving the continuity, or refinding the WMA stream?
Last edited by: Mike H on Wed 18 Apr 12 at 22:42
 Classic FM on internet radio - Zero
reboot your router
I'll give it another go, although I did do it on 5th April (I remember the date as we came back from a trip to the UK that evening). I can't remember whether I retuned it before or after then. I know the problem with the WMA stream predated that. Out of interest, how would rebooting the router help in resolving the problem?
rebooting the router makes it reconnect and renegotiate the line speed, which may well be higher. (they tend to step down to maintain service if things get noisy)

Leave it off for an hour or two, you may also get a new IP address and the old (duff) routing information may get lost as well

It costs nothing, it won't hurt, and it may work. Nothing to loose.
 Classic FM on internet radio - Focusless
>> It costs nothing, it won't hurt, and it may work. Nothing to loose.

It's worked for me in the past:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=6058&m=137594#137588
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 19 Apr 12 at 09:12
(That's interesting - is that a new feature of the site, being able to post a link to a specific message in a flat-viewed thread?)
 Classic FM on internet radio - VxFan
All depends on where you sourced that url link from.
i.e. if it was from a forum search, then no. Somewhere like Google, quite likely.
Forum search.
>> Forum search.

Odd, it still only gives threaded view for me.
I get threaded view (clicking on the link) if I change my profile's setting from flat to threaded.
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 19 Apr 12 at 11:11
Regardless changing my profile setting to threaded or flat, when I do a forum search, the results provided still come out as threaded when I click on any of them.

IIRC, you don't use IE as your web browser. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Well, I have rebooted it but no improvement. It's a 128k stream as I said, which I think is a fairly light usage. However, we do live in the sticks (in Austria) and the line speed here is only around 2GB. The dizzy heights of 8GB and higher are only available in town. Must be the cost of the hamster food keeps the speed low ;-)

However, I have just retried the WMA stream and that has reappeared, so it will be interesting to see how that fares.

Thanks for the help Zero, I should have thought of that. As a sideline, I don't power off the router for months at a time, is it good practice to reboot it more often?
Last edited by: Mike H on Thu 19 Apr 12 at 10:39

>> Thanks for the help Zero, I should have thought of that. As a sideline, I
>> don't power off the router for months at a time, is it good practice to
>> reboot it more often?

Yeah, once a fortnight is good practice.
Thanks. All seems to be well now with no dropouts on the WMA stream, my guess it was the MP3 it didn't really like as they both used the same bandwidth.

I'll try and remember to reboot the router more often!
Last edited by: Mike H on Sat 21 Apr 12 at 11:23
 Classic FM on internet radio - Dog
I rebooted my missus the other day, she's been going quite well since then.

:}
Latest Forum Posts