Computer Related > Google in the 1980's Company Cars
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 8

Google in the 1980's - RattleandSmoke
This made me laugh.

www.masswerk.at/googleBBS/

If only such a thing existed :).

I have no experience of the internet back in the 80's I got online in the early days of the web in early 1997 with a 28.8kbps modem. I did remember Webcrawler being the search engine of choice back then and of course Netscape.
 Google in the 1980's - rtj70
Quite funny. It's not far off how I remember bulletin boards in the 80s. But once dialled up initially it would stay connected so you wouldn't hear it dial up again.

And it wouldn't pull up pages that fast either.
 Google in the 1980's - Zero
wow! that brings back memories! Not of google but of comms in general in that era. And you are right, it was a lot slower than that. And the chance of connection after the tones was rare.

The last uplift in tone was always a beacon in hope, usually happening three or four times, hands clenched in anticipation hoping you had god the commands in the dial string right,

Even if you connected it sometimes came up as gobbledegook because you had the speed or protocol wrong.
 Google in the 1980's - Bagpuss
Used to use the Kermit protocol for communicating and sending files via the phone lines. Dial up, listen for that tone telling you the connection had worked, go off and do something useful, come back and see whether the file transfer had completed.

Still remember how revolutionary our 9.6kbps modem felt.
 Google in the 1980's - Zero
It would do! I started off on 300/300 baud. I had another modem I used that was 1200/75. You had to physically change the connection between the two, as auto speed negotiation was rare.
 Google in the 1980's - diddy1234
ah the good old days when software had to be written correctly due to low memory use.

Not like today's overbloated carp requiring over 1TB to run.

Bring back the Amiga computers. they were quick.
 Google in the 1980's - DP
>> Bring back the Amiga computers. they were quick.

Amazing machine in its day. A fully pre-emptive multitasking OS with mouse driven GUI that ran happily in 512K of RAM and on a 7MHz processor.

First affordable machine with dedicated sound and graphics co-processors. Capable of four channel 8-bit sound with 28KHz sampling rate, and up to 704x576 pixel resolution and a palette of 4096 colours, at a time when PCs still had EGA (if you were lucky) with 64 colours, and beep-beep on board sound.

The failure of Commodore and the Amiga is probably the best example of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in recent memory. They had no clue what they had, no clear strategy for developing it, and ultimately it all went to waste.

Google in the 1980's - smokie
I was a heavy Compuserve user at home, for which ISTR you paid a subscription which included a small amount of minutes, then a per minute cost. Plus of course your phone costs. I was racking up a few hundred a month!
 Google in the 1980's - Crankcase
I quite like that. Apart from the nostalgia, I actually used it to look something up and it was all gentle and slow and contemplative, before it finally barfed me out to the actual website I'd chosen.

I'd use that again.
Latest Forum Posts