Computer Related > Which Printer? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 42

Which Printer? - Duncan
Following on from my thread about the Kodak ESP-3, which seems to have retired itself....

Which printer should I buy?

Possibles are:-

HP Photosmart 7510 eA10
Canon Pixma MZ885
Epson Stylus Office BX635FWD
Lexmark Prospect Pro205

With the Epson probably in the lead at the moment. Any thoughts Please?
 Which Printer? - Zero
I have stuck with canons, well made, not the cheapest ink around, but not the dearest by a long margin either.
 Which Printer? - FocalPoint
I bought a Canon Pixma iP4950 around Christmas time and used it to print a calendar with A4 photos. The quality is outstanding on photo settings. If you never want to print high-quality photos then you could spend less.

It has a useful duplex function too.

It's currently available from Amazon at £69.99, £62.87 elsewhere, both prices including delivery.

tinyurl.com/6sjjend
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Sun 22 Apr 12 at 16:06
I notice you've short-listed the "Canon Pixma MZ885" - I assume you mean the MX885. This suggests you're looking at a multifunction printer.

The iP4950 is just a printer - nothing more. The MX885 is a sophisticated copier/scanner/printer with double-sided scanning etc. You will be looking at £146.45 upwards.

Which you probably know anyway!
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Sun 22 Apr 12 at 16:16
 Which Printer? - Dog
This is mine - s'good!

www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PIXMA-All-In-One-Colour-Printer/dp/B00404CK8C/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1335115012&sr=1-1
 Which Printer? - Duncan
The deed is done.

I have ordered an Epson Stylus Office BX635FWD, £117 from those nice people who don't pay tax at Amazon.

Thank you all for your help and advice.
 Which Printer? - VxFan
>> I have ordered an Epson

Don't tell BBD.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=9767
 Which Printer? - Duncan
>> >> I have ordered an Epson
>>
>> Don't tell BBD.
>>
>> www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=9767
>>

What are you saying?

That BBD is not awfully keen on Epsons?

;-)
 Which Printer? - Fullchat
Got my eye on the Canon Pixma mg 6250 but they are as rare as hen's teeth. Must be popular.
 Which Printer? - Zero
>> The deed is done.
>>
>> I have ordered an Epson Stylus Office BX635FWD, £117 from those nice people who don't
>> pay tax at Amazon.
>>
>> Thank you all for your help and advice.

You ask us what printer to buy, you get a universal 100% go with Canon reply, so you buy an Epson.

You related to my wife?
"You ask us what printer to buy, you get a universal 100% go with Canon reply, so you buy an Epson."

AND you ignore BBD!
 Which Printer? - Duncan
That's the joy of one of these forums, isn't it?
 Which Printer? - Victorbox
>> You ask us what printer to buy, you get a universal 100% go with Canon
>> reply, so you buy an Epson.

I thought that too!!
 Which Printer? - Dog
>>I thought that too!!<<

+umpteen :)
 Which Printer? - Clk Sec
>>This is mine - s'good!
>>+umpteen :)

Don't despair, Dog. I think I shall be buying the printer that you recommended above to replace my all-singing, all-dancing Dell 944, which has developed severe paper feed problems.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Tue 24 Apr 12 at 12:27
 Which Printer? - Dog
>>shall be buying the printer that you recommended above to replace my all-singing, all-dancing Dell 944<<

There is a newer model available C/S:

www.amazon.co.uk/MG3150-Wireless-Colour-Inkjet-Printer/dp/B005IUUX0E/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
 Which Printer? - Clk Sec
>> There is a newer model available C/S:

Yes, I spotted that one when I looked in at your first link. There was only one review, but I'll keep an eye on it while I'm using up the remaining ink on the Dell.

Thanks, Dog.
 Which Printer? - Clk Sec
>> >>shall be buying the printer that you recommended above to replace my all-singing, all-dancing Dell
>> 944<<
>>
>> There is a newer model available C/S:
>>
>> www.amazon.co.uk/MG3150-Wireless-Colour-Inkjet-Printer/dp/B005IUUX0E/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
>>

Finally got around to buying the Canon MG3150, and it's an excellent printer.

Thanks, Dog.
 Which Printer? - Dog
de nada Señor C/S.
 Which Printer? - Duncan
>> >>I thought that too!!<<
>>
>> +umpteen :)
>>

Well, of course, people can be contrary, can't they? ;-)

In my defence (do I need to defend myself?) I consulted Which? magazine and website.

The Epson model which I have now ordered comes out well on particular headings, particularly on printing costs. I can produce the figures that Which? quotes if anyone wishes me to.

The advice I was given on this forum is just that - advice. I am grateful for that advice, as I have been on several other occasions.

Thank you all once again for your advice.
 Which Printer? - Dog
>>do I need to defend myself?<<

Nah.

I did read a review of the BX635FWD that mentioned "torn text at low and medium quality settings is a problem",
but then the 13 customer reviews on Amazon are very good, so it should fit your porpoise admirably.
 Which Printer? - VxFan
If it's any consulation, I'm happy with my Epson SX425W, and was also happy with the other Epson I used to have, a C44+

Mind you, I don't do that much printing. In fact I'm still using the original ink tanks in the SX425W that I bought in Jan 2011.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 24 Apr 12 at 13:32
 Which Printer? - BiggerBadderDave
"Mind you, I don't do that much printing."

Me neither anymore Dave.

Found a little printing bureau in the village. Drop the disk, wander over to Lidl and follow a hot mum in tight jeans around the shop for twenty minutes, collect my job and post it. Nice little arrangement, and no hell.

It costs me about a penny a page for 100 pages, 10% in colour (to keep client happy) 90% in black and white. Price goes lower for the next 150, then again after the next 250. I was in there on Friday, the lasers are stunning. I've got another to drop in tomorrow.

Epson have lost this sale forever. I wouldn't pee on the factory if it was on fire, but I'd find a good spot to watch.
 Which Printer? - devonite
Asda are doing HP 50?? (three-in-ones) for £30 this week! - makes it cheaper to buy a new printer than replace the ink cartridges!
 Which Printer? - VxFan
>> makes it cheaper to buy a new printer than replace the ink cartridges!

Lexmark used to be like that.
 Which Printer? - devonite
>>Lexmark used to be like that.

£25 colour - £22 black!! - asda price! - new printer would def be my first choice!
 Which Printer? - Duncan
>> The deed is done.
>>
>> I have ordered an Epson Stylus Office BX635FWD, £117 from those nice people who don't
>> pay tax at Amazon.
>>
>> Thank you all for your help and advice.
>>

Update.

Almost seven years later the Epson is still going....
 Which Printer? - Clk Sec
>> >> The deed is done.
>> >> I have ordered an Epson Stylus Office
>> Update.
>> Almost seven years later the Epson is still going....

Same experience as I've had with the Canon, recommended by Dog, also on this old thread.
 Which Printer? - Dutchie
That's a coincidence ours the same printer Dog.Haven't printed photoos yet have you?
 Which Printer? - Dog
I don't use it an awful lot tbh Dutchie, I only bought it so as to print out a birthday card for me missus being I'm a cheapskate!

I did print out some photo's for my FiL recently and I wasn't appy about em at all at all - probably requires setting up or something, I'll get a roun tuit one day ;)
 Which Printer? - Zero
Fed up with the aggro of running a network printer through the windows server, and not being able to get it work reliably on the Macbook Air, i took my tin of loose change to the local Tesco store, had the fun of putting it though the coin exchanger (My! you do have a lot of coins - I need to catch up - it said several times), and I took my £52.16 to the electronics section and bought a Canon MP499 all in one wireless jobbie.

A good choice. Its installed seamlessly on the local windows 7 machine, and drivers have all gone on easily for the wireless Windows Vista, & windows 7 basic machines, and on the Mac OS/X Lion machine (tho as usual installation was not as automatic as the windows ones)

It prints fast, good quality, and works well. At £39.99 its a real bargain.

Last edited by: Zero on Sat 5 May 12 at 17:11
 Which Printer? - Iffy
...tho as usual installation was not as automatic as the windows ones)...

Could be because there's no need to instal a driver on the Mac.

When I plugged my cheap HP printer into the MacBook for the first time, the document came out as soon as I pressed 'print'.

I've never installed any drivers - as far as I know.

Which Printer? - rtj70
Technically you won't ever install or have a driver on MacOS X because it uses kernel extensions, frequently referred to as KEXTs. They live in the System/Library/Extensions folder and you will probably spot it comes with drivers for HP, Canon, Epson,.... etc. printers. But you won't get everything to work.

When I got the iMac my old but working Canon scanner would not work - and never would. I had to buy a newer scanner for it to work with the Canon scanner 'driver' in OS X.
 Which Printer? - Zero
>> Technically you won't ever install or have a driver on MacOS X because it uses
>> kernel extensions, frequently referred to as KEXTs. They live in the System/Library/Extensions folder and you
>> will probably spot it comes with drivers for HP, Canon, Epson,.... etc. printers. But you
>> won't get everything to work.
>>
>> When I got the iMac my old but working Canon scanner would not work -
>> and never would. I had to buy a newer scanner for it to work with
>> the Canon scanner 'driver' in OS X.

Technically they were not, and technically i did. They are drivers in just another format. If you want to communicate with the printer and make sense of the responses (like ink levels) you need the right drivers kernel extensions

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 7 May 12 at 20:40
Canon Pixma MG6250 sourced through Amazon and delivered from a German company £174.33 delivered. 6 days to arrive. This model is like rocking horse manure in this country as they are all sold out. They had opened the bottom of the box and inserted a power lead with a 13 amp plug on which was all of a foot long which is not very handy :-S . So I cut the euro plug off and put a 13amp plug in its place.
All laptops and the iMac connected up. Jobs a good un.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 16 May 12 at 19:31
 Which Printer? - R.P.
Can you scan wirelessly from an iMac ? Fustratingly my MP560 won't let me do this, although it works well with my clunky old Gateway Windows machine...
The iMac is USB connected so I don't know. But the toolbars have all the facilities for both Mac and Windows. Separate instillation discs included for both systems.
 Which Printer? - Zero
My Mp499 scans wirelessly to my Netbook Air, just tested it. You need to have the latest drivers kernel extensions installed of course. Have you tried the latest drivers kernel extensions from Canon?
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 16 May 12 at 20:31
 Which Printer? - R.P.
Yep. Will try again though.
 Which Printer? - Zero
Don't forget you need the MP Navigator app from Canon as well.
 Which Printer? - R.P.
Thanks Zero, Had a look in the Mac App store and on the Canon site - any pointers ?
 Which Printer? - Zero
MP Navigator

www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/InkJet/PIXMA_MP_series/MP560.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-854693&page=1&type=download
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 16 May 12 at 21:14
 Which Printer? - R.P.
Brilliant Zero - that has really made my day. Been trying to sort that for ages !
Latest Forum Posts