Computer Related > website Computing Issues
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 19

website - devonite
I`ve just been lumbered with managing the website for our local boat club, the chap that did look after it has seen his b/side and thrown it it!.

Tis a simple site that he created using frontpage/office sharepoint, and uploaded to his Tiscali isp free webspace. We buy our domain name only from Fasthosts.co.uk.

Now I need somewhere to upload it to, free if poss, i`m with aol and i`m not sure they still do "personal free space" - anybody got any recommendations please?

thanks
 website - Zero
no idea about this mob, but its free

www.multimania.co.uk/

website - devonite
Thanks Z, - have started an account, but am having trouble uploading, Front Page keeps telling me the server is missing the req extensions, but the site blurb says it has them! more investigating it seems. oh well!
 website - Manatee
Can't give chapter and verse but it may be Front Page going obsolete. I have a hosting account with 1&1 and IIRC they emailed a few weeks ago to say FP extensions would no longer be supported. I don't think I imagined it!
 website - devonite
yep! that seems to be the problem, although the "web hosting site" declares it uses the necessary extensions, an Email from Tech-support tells me that they never actually installed them, because of Microsofts lack of support for Frontpage and its morph Sharepoint. I tried several other free sites, and all are the same!
So I`ve transferred to Host-ed, and am trying to re-build the website using one of their free web designer progs.
Never done one before so will be a challenge to see if I can do it!
 website - Slidingpillar
Front Page is hated by most professionals (and me) as it produces bloated code and has an utterly silly interpretation of css. To use it as an uploader, Front Page needs server 'extensions' which can be spotted from a server file listing as vti_cnf files.

If you put the address on your hard drive of the index page on your web browser, does the site work? With good design, it should. And if it does, just download a free FTP program, transfer the files and away you go.

Or does the hosting site give you a Control Panel? A lot do. Most implementations of this allow you to log on, and transfer files from your own computer without any new software. It's quite a useful thing although I much prefer the simplicity of my FTP program.
 website - devonite
when I managed to upload the files, using Host-ed`s own uploader, (frontpages own wouldn`t connect)I put all the files into the public_html folder, which according to Host-ed is where files you want to be visible on the net go.
However, when i type in the url to google (scssa.co.uk) (fishing club) i get the placeholder page, stating that the redirects are working, but i need to upload the files! me think this may be due to the daft formatting of FP, which i why i`m trying a re-write ;-)
 website - devonite
well iv`e done it!! - me created my very first website and got it up and running!! (even added a "hit counter" by muckin about in the code editor ;-)

However, unless I type in the specific url, we are still "Invisible" to Google.

What do I need to do to get us "spotted" by the Google-bots?

If I "Google such things as : Fishing, boat clubs, angling, South Cumbria, etc - we end up as one of the 567,9000 hits in 0.09secs

cheers
me
 website - rtj70
Sounds like Google has found the site - just that it is insignificant. So ranked low down.
 website - Londoner
How to Improve Your Website's Google Ranking
google.about.com/od/searchengineoptimization/qt/improverank.htm

I was never here, and you ain't seen me, right.
 website - devonite
>>I was never here, and you ain't seen me, right.

Well whoever posted the info above - Thanks!
 website - devonite
I`ve just been playing on the website, and installed some new features, one of which is a "Weather" Widget.
In the editing Suite, and live using I.E the page displays perfect, i.e the Widget in the centre of the page.
However in Firefox it displays well over into the left margin, and looks wrong, although it still works!
Me tried everything i know (zilch) to centerise it, but all i`ve got are fingers-full of splinters from head-scratching.
Anybod got any ideas please!!! ;-)
 website - Slidingpillar
Well, I thought I'd look at your code, but you are using frames so you are on your own as the page content is not easily seen by others.

IE can have have its own view of what is HTML, whereas Firefox usually abides by the HTML specification. This suspicion is borne out by the fact that Google Chrome also puts the weather in the margin. So probably non-compliant code to blame.

Stick this in the headers too while you are at it:

meta NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="South Cumbria Sea Sports Association", "Haverigg Boating Association","fishing"
(line needs to be started and ended with quote marks, same as any other HTML line, but I can't do it here cos the forum goes into hide it mode...)

Along with any other relevant words in the same format, but keep the total keywords to 50 or less. Google uses other criteria in a search but the tag is more widely used by other search engines
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Fri 18 May 12 at 21:47
 website - devonite
Thanks for trying anyway! - will stick the tags in next time i have a play! ;-)
cheers!
 website - Focusless
Just had a quick look out of curiosity - looks fine. One thing I did notice is that on a number of pages there are links which are just text, with instructions to 'Copy n Paste link into your Browser!'. Can you make them clickable?
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 19 May 12 at 21:47
 website - devonite
Well..... to be honest, i`m not too sure about Copyright infringement! - I don`t want to put things on the site like "Live-links" and risk plagiarism?? by making things look like my own work.
This is the first time i`ve done anything like this, and i`m enjoying it, but I dont want to run before i can walk. The links can always be altered at a later date when i`m more sure of my footing, but for now "They" will have to work a bit!
Thanks for looking though, and any more recommendations are more than welcome!

Thanks!
 website - Slidingpillar
Devonite

All you need to do is say the link is on an external site. It's done all the time on the web, even on BBC sites! I'd be personally tempted to make the link open in a new browser window/tab by using _blank as an HTML attribute.

On the weather page you have a cut and past to the UK Hydrographic Office website, so all to need to say is "click for the Duddon-Bar tide table on the UK Hydrographic Office website". I'd make the word click, 'clicky' with the link and that will do.

The issue of the weather widget, I eventually managed to see the page code, but I have to cough I don't fully understand the code. But two things leap out at me. The code for the weather widget is the first thing one comes to in the body. I'd try moving it down, and playing with the values. Secondly, you appear to have two stylesheets in the header. Not sure that is allowable, I'd only have one.
 website - devonite
Thanks SP!
If thats all that is required re links, then that is on my next playday-list! ;-)

The Weather widget looks perfect in anything bar firefox and chrome apparently, and the reason that i`ve put it first in the "body" list is because that appears to be the only position it seems to work! put it anywhere else and the widget appears in some very strange places even way off the page! i.e long scroll down to find it. Will continue "playing" with it tho`!
The present one is the second that i tried, so probably the "extra" stylesheet is a legacy, i`ll also try removing that!
Thanks for the valuble pointers!
 website - Focusless
A couple of other (very) minor points if you get bored:

- History: I think the text should start on the same line as the bullets, not the next
- Constitution: inconsistent indentation of text after the initial letters
- Membership: prices don't line up (same on the membership form)
 website - devonite
Ah! you spotted that as well ;-)

Thats what happens when one gets lazy and copies and pastes from the old Frontpage docs!
I thought i may get away with it, but apparently not! - will have to have a tidy up.

Me fixed the copy n paste links and made them live, and looked at the duplicate stylesheet, and its not till you get right to the end that you see they are different, ones style and the others page or something like, so i`ve left them!

Tried playing with the weather widget and i`ve managed to break it! ;-) so that will need fettling!!

All good fun tho`!
Latest Forum Posts