Computer Related > ZX Spectrum is 30 Computing Issues
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 9

ZX Spectrum is 30 - Focusless
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17776666

I had one - great machine.

Includes an interview with 2 of the original designers.
 ZX Spectrum is 30 - rtj70
Just beat me to it... I spotted it because it's honoured by Google's doodle for today. Combined with a reference to St Georges day.
 ZX Spectrum is 30 - devonite
Still got mine somewhere upstairs! zx128k if i remember, havent used it for about a quarter of a Century, wonder if it still works, i`ve all the bits!
 ZX Spectrum is 30 - Falkirk Bairn
>> Still got mine somewhere upstairs! zx128k if i remember, havent used it for about a
>> quarter of a Century, wonder if it still works, i`ve all the bits!
>>
If you have the original machine + bits & bobs it's worth a few bob ............if you have it with the original box and the polystyrene packaging it's worth auctioning - £000's for the fully monty.
 ZX Spectrum is 30 - Dave_
>> zx128k

>> If you have the original machine + bits & bobs it's worth a few bob

And the 128k wasn't even a proper Spectrum! Us 48k owners were quite touchy about that sort of thing... ;)
 ZX Spectrum is 30 - Telb
I suppose if I admit to still having my QL I'd be branded as some sort of pariah!

I quite liked it though - especially with added floppy disc drives, those microdrive tapes were a liability.
 ZX Spectrum is 30 - DP
The rubber keyboard on our 48k gave up the ghost after about 18 months. Daley Thomson's Decathlon no doubt contributed to its premture demise.

We bought an aftermarket DK'Tronics keyboard, into which the entire Spectrum board was placed. It was bigger and clunkier, but worked beautifully.

I loved my Spectrum, and had many hours of fun with it. Then I bought my Amiga in 1988 and that became my obsession for the next 6 years.
 ZX Spectrum is 30 - zookeeper
I remember ye olde spectrum...the colour version, attic attack, 3d maze.....i still have an amiga with loads of games too
 ZX Spectrum is 30 - devonite
>>i still have an amiga with loads of games too

;) me got Amiga 500+ set up an working in the back bedroom! - i use it for revisiting the "Original" Settlers, Beneath a steel sky, and The Lure of the Temptress! - tis my escape when "She" has her mates round for the Gossip group!
In fact theres about 400 games to revisit ;-) so i may be gone some time!

I was tryin to root-out the "Speccy" the other day, I could see it, but wasnt prepared to tackle all the "protective coverin"! however I did unearth an olde Apple computer with rubber keys, and several "Snafu" cartridges, one with the original Snake game on!
 ZX Spectrum is 30 - DP
I binned my Amiga when we moved house. In fairness, it hadn't been touched for years, and WinUAE was doing a good job by that point.

I have WinUAE installed on my laptop at home, with about 150 games, utilities and demos. It's as good as having an Amiga - better in fact, as you can configure it to emulate any Amiga model with a couple of mouse clicks. The software and games are pretty much all abandonware these days, and can be downloaded from anywhere without anyone caring too much. The only tricky bits to find are the Kickstart ROMs which the current owner of the Amiga rights seems to still want to protect.

My 5 year old daughter will play with the "Say" speech utility on Workbench 1.3 for hours! :-)
Last edited by: DP on Tue 1 May 12 at 09:41
Latest Forum Posts