Computer Related > IT advice please. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 16

IT advice please. - Old Navy
I am toying with the idea of upgrading my ADSL wireless modem router. I currently use a Cisco/Linksys WAG54G2 router but we now have a mixture of G and N devices. The WAG54G2 is reliable but was a pain to set up and I would like recommendations for an easy to set up N 300 machine which will also cover G, up to date but established in the market. The online reviews all seem to find a fault of some sort with most routers.

Thanks in advance, please remember I am a simple sailor easily baffled by IT mumbo jumbo. :-)
 IT advice please. - Zero
>> I am toying with the idea of upgrading my ADSL wireless modem router.

And the first question is Why? What problems do you have with your current set up?

The answer to that forms the basis for any upgrade (or not)

Thats why I said "toying with the idea" I generally go with don't fix what isn't broke, but we seem to be acquiring more N spec kit, and would like to do the swap as a considered un-rushed evolution keeping the current router as a backup (IT word) until any new one has proved itself. And yes I am deeply suspicious of software driven black boxes. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 24 Apr 12 at 13:13
 IT advice please. - Zero
Ok look at it this way.

You only need to think about change if you are doing large file transfers (or streaming video) between devices on your home network, your home broadband goes above 20mb, or you need longer range, or devices won't connect.

If you are not having problems with buffering video, or drop outs, you don't need to think about it.
 IT advice please. - Victorbox
We bought this one when our old wireless g modem router died: tinyurl.com/bvq9oc9
Last edited by: Victorbox on Wed 25 Apr 12 at 10:59
 IT advice please. - Falkirk Bairn
>> We bought this one when our old wireless g modem router died: tinyurl.com/bvq9oc9
>>
>>
As long as it works it's fine - any niggles and it is "Netgear India calling" - in warranty delivery was 2 days if under 12 mths, extended warranty "it takes 2 weeks" unless you have paid £20-£30 for express delivery. Paid nothing and a brand new box came in 3/4 days

Between AOL India unwilling to get BT in (£150 cost if no fault found) and Netgear India saying it is a faulty unit.................a week went by.........BT engineer called wiring fault in the street cabinet. Wiring spaghetti disturbed by engineer had loosened connection and gave intermittent fault.
Thanks guys, I eventually bought a Netgear DGN2200. It has resolved the intermittent network loss when we were both using the wifi system, the wifi printer works better, and I can plug our external hard drive directly into the router for access through the network.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 8 May 12 at 10:11
 IT advice please. - TeeCee
You'll be far better off attaching an "N" access point to your existing router. You only get the advantages of "N" when all the attached devices are talking "N" and all are on WPA2 for security.
If either of those does not apply, then seperate networks is the way to go.

An alternative here would be one of the Draytek products that are capable of providing multiple WiFi networks, each with its own SSID, speed and security settings, out of the one box.
The Netgear DGN2200 runs four networks, each with a separate SSID and security setting.
 IT advice please. - Zero
DONT select the top speed (300?)

It uses bonded networks at this speed and causes all sorts of grief to other wireless networks.

Choose the middle one (150?)
>> DONT select the top speed (300?)
>>
>> It uses bonded networks at this speed and causes all sorts of grief to other
>> wireless networks.
>>
>> Choose the middle one (150?)
>>

Calm down Z, I did RTFM. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 8 May 12 at 13:01
 IT advice please. - TeeCee
>> DONT select the top speed (300?)
>>
>> It uses bonded networks at this speed and causes all sorts of grief to other
>> wireless networks.
>>
>> Choose the middle one (150?)
>>

It shouldn't cause any grief at all, WiFi systems are designed to coexist. In a heavily congested area it won't provide any advantage though and often the reverse as it spends more time "hunting" between single and dual channel to avoid interference than it does transmitting data.

One thing that is definately true in congested areas. You get far better performance stacking networks on channels than you do trying to use a "free" channel, due to the fact that you don't only use the one channel, but those either side too. Using the same signalling channel makes it easier for the conflicting points to cooperate on usage. Ideally everyone should be on either 1, 6 or 11, with multiple networks on each.

If your house is made of more permeable stuff, then going 5Ghz for N is the answer. (Another reason for using a seperate access point for N or a dual-band router.) Loads more channels and nobody's using 'em. My house is largely constructed, continental style, from reinforced concrete, so 5Ghz won't even propogate from one floor to the next....:-(
Last edited by: TeeCee on Tue 8 May 12 at 13:52
I have the channel selection set to auto. the router seems to like channels 1 and 11 and switches between them. Most of my neighbours seem to favour 6 and 11, with one on channel 6. At the moment I can see ten networks plus mine, five of them are unsecured !
I have just noticed that all the unsecured networks have BT SSIDs.
 IT advice please. - Zero
>> I have just noticed that all the unsecured networks have BT SSIDs.
Try connecting to them, you'll find you won't be able to.
>> >> I have just noticed that all the unsecured networks have BT SSIDs.
>> Try connecting to them, you'll find you won't be able to.
>>

You are right Z, they connect without internet access and redirect you to a BTFON hotspot login web page.

>> I have the channel selection set to auto. the router seems to like channels 1
>> and 11 and switches between them. Most of my neighbours seem to favour 6 and
>> 11, with one on channel 6. At the moment I can see ten networks plus
>> mine, five of them are unsecured !
>>

That should read with one on channel 8.
Latest Forum Posts