Computer Related > New Lenova Laptop Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 21

New Lenova Laptop - Robbie34
I have just ordered a new Lenovo G570 lM519BUK Intel Core i3 Processor 6GB RAM 750GB Hard Drive 15.6in BluRay Laptop 25QR71E. Got it for £499 less £30.
Good laptop and deal, or have I made a bloomer?
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Wed 25 Apr 12 at 17:43
 New Lenova Laptop - tyro
Well, I got this Lenovo B570

www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_B570_1116385.html

and am happy with it.

You've paid a bit more, but have better spec, so seems fair enough.
 New Lenova Laptop - Iffy
Saveonlaptops list 72 Lenovo laptops, of which six or more are G570s.

Comparing like with exact like is difficult, probably deliberately.

www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/products/ids/attributeselection
 New Lenova Laptop - Roger.
Lenovo seem to have an "interesting" power saver scheme on which the default, when plugged in, is best battery life - at least on the basic model we have just bought.
This involves keeping the battery at 50% charge when plugged in and limiting the CPU performance to 50% !!
I guess with 6GB of RAM, once the system is loaded, that is not too critical, but it annoys the hell out of me waiting for all start-ups to load and for new software and Windows updates to install. (7 Windows updates took 45+ minutes to install on shut-down last night. Grrr)
So I've changed it! I prefer better performance to best battery life.
 New Lenova Laptop - spamcan61
My Z570 is fine. One assumes Lenovo make quite a few 570 models then.
 New Lenovo Laptop - Robbie34
It arrived yesterday and I have been setting it up. The battery saver bit has me flummoxed as it is still on "50% not charging." I want to use the laptop when I'm in France in my caravan and may not always have a mains connection. Apart from this it is quite fast, and I'm getting used to Windows 7.
 New Lenovo Laptop - Roger.
"50% not charging" is the default "best battery life" setting!
(See my post a couple or so up in this thread)
Last edited by: Roger on Fri 27 Apr 12 at 15:12
 New Lenovo Laptop - Robbie34
How did you change it? I've tried but not succeeded.
 New Lenovo Laptop - spamcan61
on mine it's:-

start > all programs > lenovo > energy management

..and it does pint out the optimise battery run time option reduces battery life (or words to that effect)
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Fri 27 Apr 12 at 21:37
 New Lenova Laptop - Stuartli
>> Well, I got this Lenovo B570

www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_B570_1116385.html

and am happy with it.

You've paid a bit more, but have better spec, so seems fair enough. >>

I got the B560 from Dabs last August at £430 for the i5 version (terrific laptop) and a friend, who had asked for some advice on the subject, recently got the latest B570 equivalent for £420 with a voucher discount, also from Dabs.

There are various versions of these Lenovo models and prices depend on specifications as tyro has appreciated. However, the opportunity to get an i5 excellent specification model at about or even less than for an i3 offering is quite remarkable for a well respected laptop manufacturer. As Zero pointed out recently Lenovo use to produce the IBM laptops.
 New Lenovo Laptop - Pezzer
My nipper (now taller than me ) is off to college next term and needs a new laptop. As one of his additional options he is doing a moving image photography course which I assume will lead to some kind of editing workload. Would one of these be up to the job or is it more business focused. If so at this sort of price point are there perhaps more suitable options ?

(I thought about upgrading the elderly 'home' pc and getting him a decent netbook but that drew a very long withering glance !!)

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Quick update: i5 Lenovo purchased, surprisingly from PC World online for £399. no 1 son was to my amazement uninterested in which brand he got and was happy for Dad to decide.

thanks guys
 New Lenovo Laptop - Iffy
...Quick update: i5 Lenovo purchased...

Don't think you'll go far wrong with that.

A technical review I read reckoned the i5 processor was a better all round bet for a laptop than the more expensive i7.

hmmm 2 days and its now not booting. Gets to the Windows Error Recovery screen and neither Repair or Start Windows Normally result in anything meaningful happening.

MBR problem or Hard drive failure do you think ?

Grrrr
 New Lenovo Laptop - Focusless
Not your problem - let the PC World people work it out.

EDIT: sorry I see you got it online so I understand you would want to have a go yourself first
Last edited by: Focus on Fri 1 Jun 12 at 16:05
 New Lenovo Laptop - Dog
Lenovo tech help mucho bueno ~ phone em.
 New Lenovo Laptop - RichardW
Format C:
Install Ubuntu
Never look back!!
 New Lenovo Laptop - Zero
>> Format C:
>> Install Ubuntu
>> Never look back!!

No time to look back, too busy trying to get stuff to work if you do.
 New Lenova Laptop - Victorbox
>> As Zero pointed out recently Lenovo use to produce the IBM laptops.

I thought IBM made the Thinkpads until they sold the brand to Lenovo? In response to Pezzer we went for a i7 just because at university you need the best you can afford for the work involved. I would have thought a quality brand i5 would be the minimum for photo editing work.
Last edited by: Victorbox on Mon 14 May 12 at 20:26
 New Lenova Laptop - Zero
half true. The company behind Lenovo used to make some of the thinkpads for IBM when they were `IBM Thinkpads. Then they bought the entire IBM PC division.

My I5 handles photos (Photoshop CS4) and Video (powerdirector 10) very well.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 14 May 12 at 20:28
>> I would have thought a quality brand i5 would be the minimum for photo editing work.>>

This is the B560 I bought from Dabs (details still listed): tinyurl.com/7zo3g99
Dabs has a similar new offer, but for an Asus, just notified by e-mail newsletter:

tinyurl.com/ce3qut4

The laptop bag is an excellent buy if it's as good as the one I got with my Lenovo at the same price:

tinyurl.com/bo5o44e
Latest Forum Posts