Computer Related > Probs with CD/DVD drive Computing Issues
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 5

Probs with CD/DVD drive - Dave
It plays CDs and DVDs, but I can't copy any files to a blsnk disc. It will recognise there is a disk, bit then it says total free space = 0 bytes. Total size = 0 bytes. Do I have to format or something?
 Probs with CD/DVD drive - rtj70
What software are you using to write to the disk? Or are you hoping to use it as a disk you can drag and drop files to?
 Probs with CD/DVD drive - Dave
I was trying to save pdf files from my accounts software. But I've since found out that if I save the file to C drive, I can then save from that to a CD. So still not sure if it's the programme or me, although I think it could be me!
 Probs with CD/DVD drive - rtj70
No it's not you or the program. If you want to be able to drag and drop files to a CD/DVD you need software to prepare the disk for writing to and to write the files. You need to finalise the disk to use it in a computer without the relevant software.

If you copy to the PC first and then use Windows (or other OS) to write these to a disk then they are handling writing the disk including finalising it etc. I'm clearly simplifying the process but you cannot just put a blank disk in and copy file to it.
 Probs with CD/DVD drive - devonite
you need a burning program like "Burn4free" for example, then follow the instructions to create a data disk (which you can keep adding to until its full). As long as you only use it in the computer that created it, you should not need to finalise it until its full.

www.burn4free.com/
 Probs with CD/DVD drive - Stuartli
>> you need a burning program like "Burn4free" for example, then follow the instructions to create a data disk (which you can keep adding to until its full). As long as you only use it in the computer that created it, you should not need to finalise it until its full.>>

I used to do that with Nero6 (mult-isession), but it was essential that you Saved each additional set of files etc otherwise it went haywire.

The disk(s) could be used in any computer even whilst still adding files as necessary in multi-session form. Once the disk was full it was Finalised.
Latest Forum Posts