Computer Related > Excel Passwords Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 17

Excel Passwords - Ambo
I have some MS Office Excel 2007 spreadsheets protected by passwords. How can I get rid of the passwords please? The online Help only says how to install them, not uninstall them.
 Excel Passwords - John H
>> The online Help only says how to install them, not uninstall them.
>>

The Microsoft online help I looked at says:

... Applies to: Microsoft Office Access 2007, Excel 2007, ...

What do you want to do?
Set a password in an Excel spreadsheet
Remove password protection from an Excel spreadsheet

Excel Passwords - spamcan61
..unless you don't know/ have forgotten the password, then it gets a bit trickier!
 Excel Passwords - John H
>> .. you don't know/ have forgotten the password,
>>

In that case, he would first worry about how to open the file.

Excel Passwords - smokie
... unless it's just cells or sheets which have been protected... But it is all in the Help files.
 Excel Passwords - Ambo
John H, could you kindly tell me how you linked to the information? I used the question mark that appears top right of a worksheet to get acess to help and this does not say how to get rid of a password. (Some of the diagrams given with this "help" do not correspond with what appears on my screen.)
 Excel Passwords - Ambo
P.S. Or, John H, what the instructions are?
 Excel Passwords - smokie
This is for 2010 but 2007 was similar IIRC.

www.addictivetips.com/microsoft-office/excel-2010-password-protect-spreadsheet/
 Excel Passwords - Ambo
Thanks, smokie but none of this works on my computer. I fear I amy have a virus or bug.
 Excel Passwords - rtj70
If you have Excel files that are encrypted/protected using a password then do the following:

Open the workbook.
On the File menu, click Save As.
On the Tools menu, click General Options (the Tools drop down is next to the Save button)
In the Password to open or Password to modify box (or in both boxes), double-click the asterisks and then press the DELETE key.
Click OK, and then click Save.
Click Yes to replace the existing workbook.
 Excel Passwords - John H
>> If you have Excel files that are encrypted/protected using a password then do the following:
>>

excel 2007: according to MS, "prepare" and "encrypt" are the intermediate steps.
 Excel Passwords - John H
>> John H, could you kindly tell me how you linked to the information? >>

Help from excel (search "password"), or the results from Google (search "microsoft excel 2007 password"), brings up identical Microsoft online help page.

Last edited by: John H on Tue 1 May 12 at 16:02
 Excel Passwords - rtj70
It does but draiber seemed to be struggling to find the list of steps to remove a password that was being used to encrypt an Excel file. :-)
 Excel Passwords - John H
>> It does but draiber seemed to be struggling to find the list of steps to
>> remove a password that was being used to encrypt an Excel file. :-)
>>

I could have easily posted the MS link for him, but I didn't as his claim in the OP that "Help only says how to install them, not uninstall them" was untrue. So I thought I should let him try the Help again or Google and find the page himself.

I guess he will struggle even more trying to apply your method - as I can't do it that way on my Excel 2007. :-)

Last edited by: John H on Tue 1 May 12 at 17:07
 Excel Passwords - rtj70
I did try the method before I posted - it does work ;-)

But it's not obvious what they mean by the tools menu in the save box - it's not that clear it's a drop down list.

If you're referring to the File menu being confusing, the new ribbon bar essential has the round button replacing the old style file menu. And this method is for removing or changing the password - not setting it.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 1 May 12 at 17:30
 Excel Passwords - John H
>> And this method is for removing
>> or changing the password - not setting it.
>>

I did read the OP question - see my first reply "Remove password protection from an Excel spreadsheet".

Excel 2007 - Official MS method for removing the password:

"Click the Microsoft Office Button , point to Prepare, and then click Encrypt Document.
In the Encrypt Document dialog box, in the Password box, delete the encrypted password, and then click OK.
Save the spreadsheet."

Now draiber won't need to Google or use the Help button.
 Excel Passwords - Ambo
Many thanks, John H and smokie, both methods work perfectly. Clearly a case of "easy when you know how".
 Excel Passwords - Ambo
That should have been thanks to rtj70 but thanks anyway.
Latest Forum Posts