Computer Related > Installing Google Chrome Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 13

Installing Google Chrome - L'escargot
If I install Google Chrome will it operate independently of (and have no effect on) my existing IE9? I assume that I will get a Chrome icon (in addition to the existing IE9 icon) at the bottom of my screen which will enable me to either choose either browser. What would happen if I clicked on both in sequence?
Please be gentle with me!
 Installing Google Chrome - Zero
>> If I install Google Chrome will it operate independently

Yes

>>of (and have no effect on)
>> my existing IE9?

None

>> I assume that I will get a Chrome icon (in addition to
>> the existing IE9 icon) at the bottom of my screen which will enable me to
>> either choose either browser.

Yes

>>What would happen if I clicked on both in sequence?

Both will launch and you will have two browsers open to choose from or to surf with

The only issue of note is that

a: Chrome will offer to import your bookmarks

b: it will ask if you want it to be the default browser. A Default browser is the one that opens when you click on a URL, say in an email. You can choose not to have it as the default. It will keep asking every time you start it unless you click on the "don't ask me again" button when you say no.

c: If you let Chrome be the default browser, then IE9 will ask to be the default browser every time it starts, unless like chrome you say "stop asking"

>> Please be gentle with me!

SLAP

Thanks Zero. I take back everything bad that I've ever thought of you! I'll give Google Chrome a go.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 15 May 12 at 09:10
 Installing Google Chrome - Slidingpillar
What Zero says is correct.

My main PC, on which I do some web development, has Firefox, IE9 and Chrome. Reason I have three browsers is I can check sites on all three mainly used browsers. All work fine at the same time, although Firefox remains my preferred browser.
 Installing Google Chrome - DP
I like Chrome. It's the browser I always come back to after trying the competition.

The last decent version of IE was 7.

Cheers
DP
 Installing Google Chrome - Manatee
Z is spot on, just been there and he left me nothing to add.

I have had increasing problems with Firefox being slow and occasionally hanging, IE9 didn't display some websites correctly for me, so I'm using Chrome on the netbook now. It seems better/faster than when I last tried it.

Oddly I have no problems with Firefox on my wife's netbook that I am using while mine has a dead screen.
There must be lots of computers sold with IE9 pre-installed. Do any get sold with Google Chrome pre-installed instead?
 Installing Google Chrome - DP
Microsoft had their knuckles rapped by the EU competition commission for this. They argued that by pre-installing their own browser, Microsoft were gaining an unfair advantage over the competition. It forced Microsoft to release a "browser choice" tool which actively prompts the user to choose a browser, and provides links to each of the main competitor sites. This comes down as one of the Windows updates.
As far as I know, Chrome only comes with the Chrome OS netbooks. All versions of Windows ship with a flavour of IE. Most distributions of Linux ship with Firefox pre-installed, and Macs ship with Safari.
Chrome has its detractors. There is apparently a lot of suspicious code inside it relating to collection of browsing habits and other "personal" data. For those who object to it, you can download the Iron browser by SRWare. It's identical to Chrome, but with this code removed.
Personally, I like Chrome. Fast, stable, and easy to use.
 Installing Google Chrome - Slidingpillar
And personally I lump Chrome along with IE9 as a hider of important bits. The Microsoft mantra of "we know best". Firefox is bit that way now, but as I've been using it a bit, can find most things quickly.
 Installing Google Chrome - Roger.
You can remove the unique identifier in Chrome by downloading and running this tool:-

www.abelssoft.net/unchrome.php

Take no notice of the invitation to visit the pay site version. This free version , although no longer supported, will do the trick.
OK, I've now got the Chrome icon on my desktop. After I've clicked on it, Chrome begs me to sign in and says I'm missing out. What would I gain by signing in?
(So far I've still got IE9 as my default browser.)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 15 May 12 at 13:21
 Installing Google Chrome - Manatee
I guess you've twigged that the sign in relates to your google account so your gmail login if you have one. Chrome will sync your bookmarks, home pages, history and whatever across different computers.

Just don't sign in if you're using a public computer - I'm always a bit nervous about saved passwords especially (best not to save them anyway).

yourravi.com/benefits-of-using-signing-in-to-chrome-service-by-google/
 Installing Google Chrome - Victorbox
The only change I had to make when first using Chrome was to the connection settings as I was getting the "resolving proxy" message down on the left of the screen and a slight delay when using Chrome as explained here: tinyurl.com/cvchaqs
Thanks Manatee and Victorbox. I'm slowly getting there.
Latest Forum Posts