Computer Related > Merging Word Docs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 19

Merging Word Docs - Pat
I have had to write our Newsletter from scratch at short notice and managed to download a template in Word.
It was only two pages though, so I did page 3 and 4 in another document and modified the front page a bit.

I now need to be able to merge the two to print and also to send by email.

Can it be done?

TIA

Pat
 Merging Word Docs - Zero
Dont understand. Is the second one in the same template? why do two? Just cut and paste the stuff from doc two into doc 1
 Merging Word Docs - Pat
It wont cut and paste the whole page only the individual blocks on the page and then they move on the new page and will take forever.

Pat
 Merging Word Docs - Ian (Cape Town)
Not quite with you here, but try this:
Highlight everything.
Ctrl C
then in the menu:
edit>paste special>unformatted text.

that'll take out the boxes
 Merging Word Docs - Pat
It won't let me highlight everything, only a box at a time though.

Pat
 Merging Word Docs - Slidingpillar
Not even if you hit "control A" first? Usually marks the entire document.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Thu 31 May 12 at 18:53
 Merging Word Docs - spamcan61
>> Not even if you hit "control A" first? Usually marks the entire document.
>>

I've managed to avoid much contact with Word forms over the years, but I suspect they complicate matters no end in this scenario.

Pat feel free to email me the docs. and I'll have bash at merging 'em but I'm not hopeful.
 Merging Word Docs - Focusless
Just a thought Pat, and not a solution to your immediate problem, but are you sending out your newsletter as a Word document eg. .doc or .docx file? If so, you might consider saving it as a .pdf as it increases the chances of people being able to open and read it.

Of course if that's how it's been done for years and everybody's happy with that then ignore me :)
 Merging Word Docs - Pat
Thanks for all your help.

Someone has kindly merged the two documents for me overnight spamcan, the only thing is I don't know how they did it so I'm none the wiser.

...and is the reason I always get so frustrated trying to solve the problem myself first. If I could have solved it I would have learned how to do it next time.

I would like to send it as a .pdf and that is how it normally goes out but I chose to write it in Word because I am more used to using it for photo's and columns etc.

Todays problems are (in this order!), changing it to Word, printing all those copies on my little inkjet Pixma printer, teaching myself how to print address labels from a list, housework, ironing and gardening:)

I forgot, I have to learn how to print on both sides of the paper too!

Pat
 Merging Word Docs - RichardW
Pat

If you want to send it as a PDF, search for, download and install CutePDF writer - it works just like a printer, but the ouput is a pdf file, rather than a paper copy. CutePDF will appear in the list of printers, and you can use it just the same.
 Merging Word Docs - Pat
Thanks Richard, I'll go and have a look at that.

Pat
 Merging Word Docs - Zero
Or dump word, install one of the open office suites and do "save as pdf"
 Merging Word Docs - Focusless
>> Or dump word, install one of the open office suites and do "save as pdf"

Don't know which version Pat's using, but Word 2007 on my laptop has the option to save as PDF.
 Merging Word Docs - Slidingpillar
Cute PDF also gets my vote. Free, works, and nice and simple.
 Merging Word Docs - spamcan61
>>
>> Todays problems are (in this order!), changing it to Word, printing all those copies on
>> my little inkjet Pixma printer, teaching myself how to print address labels from a list,
>> housework, ironing and gardening:)
>>
>> I forgot, I have to learn how to print on both sides of the paper
>> too!
>>
>> Pat
>>
Sounds like you want to do a mail merge, see this tutorial:-

www.dur.ac.uk/resources/its/info/guides/20mailmerge2003.pdf

One of those things that is a right pain to get the hang of but can save a lot of time if you're doing it regularly.

Printing double sided on a prinetr that isn't designed to do it can involve wasting quite a bit of paper/ink until you get the orientation right for the second pass.
 Merging Word Docs - Rudedog
As has been mentioned later versions of Word let you save your work as a PDF.
 Merging Word Docs - Pat
I'm using Word 2003!

I'm not rich or clever;)

Pat
 Merging Word Docs - Rudedog
Sorry, I'm sure I had it in 2004 for Mac.
 Merging Word Docs - rtj70
>> Sorry, I'm sure I had it in 2004 for Mac.

Mac OSX can save to PDFs with ease. That won't have been anything to do with Office for Mac.

I think CutePDF is Pat's best option.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 1 Jun 12 at 16:46
 Merging Word Docs - Pat
Thanks for all the help. CutePDF works a treat.
I can recommend the Canon Pixma highly...it's just done 164 copies without faltering and they are now all in the post as well as the rest being sent by email.
Soooo....I'm awarding myself a treat tomorrow and I'm off to 3663 Felling and what's more, I'm driving the lorry:)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts