Computer Related > Coreldraw question Computing Issues
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 3

Coreldraw question - hawkeye
My son uses Coreldraw 12 at school. I would like to get him Coreldraw to use at home but this would only help if whatever version I got could save files that could be read by Coreldraw 12. I believe I am limited to Coreldraw X something because we have Windows 7 and Vista at home.

The question is, can Coreldraw X3,4,5 or 6 write files that can be used by Coreldraw 12 ?

Any other comments would be helpful.

TIA.
 Coreldraw question - Zero
If you are running Win7 at home you are limited to running Corel X4 (14) X5 (15) and X6 (16)

you may be able to run X3 (13) if you are running 32 bit win 7 but no guarantee.

X4, X5, and X6 all have full read write file capability down to Corel 7, when the last major change to the CDR file spec was made. So with your lad running 12, (x2) your version of X4,X5 or X6 will be fine

The CDR file format has been reversed engineered, but there are no file capabilities with other vector drawing packages that are guaranteed.

The full suite is NOT cheap. However surprised your school is using to be honest. Macs are used by studio types and Corel Draw is not available for Mac. (anymore)
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 2 Jun 12 at 15:38
Thank you Zero; your comprehensive reply is much appreciated.
Coreldraw X4 bought from Ebay, arrived yesterday.

It's got a drop-down asking what version you want to save files as. Well done Coreldraw.
Son has done a few changes to his project and will test to see if they can be seen on the school computers.
Latest Forum Posts