Computer Related > XP Prof. on SATA HDD. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 18

XP Prof. on SATA HDD. - R.P.
Salvaged this from my old MESH machine. I want to recover some data from it (Pictures and some vids) I have access to my MacBook and an old clunky Gateway Vista machine - what else do I need to access the drive ?
  XP Prof. on SATA HDD. - Zero
It will be readable on the gateway. You will need to connect it to the system in some way, get a cheap usb disk caddy from ebay perhaps?

You'll need to know your old password if the data is in the users/name/documents..... directory chain.
  XP Prof. on SATA HDD. - RattleandSmoke
Might not need the password, if it is a problem you can always download a Ubuntu CD, boot from that and copy the data that way.

You can get multi purpose caddies from Ebuyer for around £12. They are a good send as they work with 2.5 and 3.5" drives.

Something like this will do.

www.ebuyer.com/265443-sata-to-3-5-2-5in-ide-hdd-adapt-for-hard-drive-docks-uk-sat2ideadp
www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/7328381704/in/photostream

www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/7328375722/in/photostream/

Is there a particular type of caddy I need for the above HDD ?
  XP Prof. on SATA HDD. - rtj70
It can be connected to a caddy with SATA data and power connectors. Like most you'd find.

Don't suppose you have one you could use temporarily? I used to use one of my iomega ones by taking out the drive if I was desperate.

If the old Vista machine is a desktop and has SATA then you could use that - but is it a laptop?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 3 Jun 12 at 18:25
  XP Prof. on SATA HDD. - Fullchat
i had a similar issue with an IDE hard drive. Sourced a caddy from Maplins and then created a virtual computer on my new windows laptop using the programmes at the end of the thread.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=6&t=10532

I could read the documents, images etc but anything like emails, addresses and internet bookmarks were beyond my limited cabilities to access.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 3 Jun 12 at 18:37
I have the cabaling from the old Desktop - The vista machine is a laptop - Worse case scenario is I can slave it up to my BiL's Mesh...
  XP Prof. on SATA HDD. - spamcan61
Plenty of 3.5 SATA USB caddys around, a tenner ish on eBay. See item # 290613098810 for example.
You just need a caddy or similar and it will be possible to copy off the files using the Mac without resorting to anything else. A Mac will read NTFS volumes without problems - by default it won't write to them because Apple disabled that by default.

I suppose what you use depends on how fast you need access to the files. ebay/Amazon possible for cheaper options. Or Maplin. I've got a cheap cable/box combi that attaches to drives (comes with a PSU to) to connect to USB. I got it to connect the Sky HD hard disk to a computer without taking out the drive - hence not trying a caddy.
Thanks all - may whizz down to Maplin in Llandudno on Tuesday on the bike. I'll take the disc with me.
Shame you're not nearer one of us - it wouldn't take long to help sort getting the files off for you.
Diolch Rob.
  XP Prof. on SATA HDD. - spamcan61
Maplin do this one for 20 quid:-

www.maplin.co.uk/3.5-inch-ide-sata-usb-2.0-combo-enclosure-48213

>> Thanks all - may whizz down to Maplin in Llandudno on Tuesday on the bike.
>> I'll take the disc with me.
>>
  XP Prof. on SATA HDD. - hawkeye
After Mrs H's computer meltdown I got one of these for under £4. Needs 2 USB ports though.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290700364556?var=590062442358&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

XP Prof. on SATA HDD. - TeeCee
The ones that have a split lead to attach to two USB ports only need the second one plugged in if your machine doesn't provide enough power on one. The second exists purely to draw amps from the second port and carries no signal.

Usually it's only necessary to attach the second one on older machines.

The USB2 standard mandates 100mA available on connection with devices being entitled to request more in 100mA increments. That ability to draw more upon request was a new feature in USB2.
Worked first time on the MacBook via cradle. Wonder whether I can boot up from that disk !
  XP Prof. on SATA HDD. - Fullchat
From my experience that's a no. It has to sit on a computer as such. Hence the creation of my virtual computer.
You can boot off USB drives on some systems. You won't boot the Mac off it. Although the Mac can boot off external drives - not sure if USB works as it used to be Firewire only or a partition on a remote system. More recent Macs can boot off the Internet to recover too.

Although I've not done much since the initial install I have Mac OSX Lion running on my newly rebuilt PC. Mostly works but want to do some upgrades like a better graphics cards instead of GTS 250 before I do more.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 7 Jun 12 at 21:40
  XP Prof. on SATA HDD. - Stuartli
I got a caddy from dabs for about £13. You can also buy IDE to SATA and vice versa adapters for a couple of quid on eBay or Amazon which would help if you wanted to use a spare computer; also Molex to SATA power adapters. See:

tinyurl.com/76bx5mr

tinyurl.com/7t6z35a
Latest Forum Posts