Computer Related > Latest Mac Lion update Miscellaneous
Thread Author: car4play Replies: 9

Latest Mac Lion update - car4play
Simply don't do this.

Amongst one of the updates (possibly the thunderbolt one) it wrecks your system leaving you with a Mac that won't boot - you get the dimmed screen in various languages telling you to power off and a message at the top about it not being able to find the driver for this mac.

This is an appalling mistake by apple.

The remedy so far is to recover from a time machine backup which isn't a great option, ESP for me considering that yesterday the tm backup failed with some cryptic message about the sparsebundle going wrong (apparently another known issue to do with large drives on airport extreme devices).
Ho hum. So today has gone while it downloads a new copy of lion from apple and I work out how to fix it.

Latest Mac Lion update - NortonES2
Something here confirming the issue: www.macrumors.com/ I'm still on 10.4 though:)
 Latest Mac Lion update - rtj70
Thanks for the heads-up.

If you need a copy of Lion copying over I've got the disk image on my system. I assume you're downloading it again from the App Store.

Updates offered to me on Lion are to do with Airport, Aperture, Jave, iMovie, iPhoto and iTunes. I might risk it.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 12 Jun 12 at 21:55
 Latest Mac Lion update - car4play
Yes. It had to download a new Lion from the the app store. That's all of yesterday morning gone.
I installed it on an external drive, booted into this and then downloaded and installed the Mac OSX 10.4.7 Combined Update on the main hard drive. That fixes it.

I had to apply the updates you list after resetting back to the combined update.
It is the Thunderbolt update that caused the issue, so your ones in the list are fine.

I have a copy of the Lion image on my main drive. I think for the future I will simply install this onto a bootable 16GB USB flash drive. I can't be done with that amount of time to download and install from Apple.
I think USB is the way to go - Lion takes less than 20 minutes to install from USB on my PC. Sounds like the recover/install over the Internet does not work well for the UK.
 Latest Mac Lion update - Bagpuss
Thanks for that. I literally had my finger hovering over the return key to download the Thunderbolt update. I think I'll give it a miss.
 Latest Mac Lion update - teabelly
If you don't have any thunderbolt devices does it still snafu the computer completely? I don't use timemachine.

I just did a software update check and there's nothing for thunderbolt. I've got airport, safari and java as updates...
Last edited by: teabelly on Sun 17 Jun 12 at 10:35
Unless you have a fairly new iMac or Macbook Pro you won't have a Thuderbolt interface so won't get this upgrade. Or if you do, the Kext won't be loaded.
 Latest Mac Lion update - Zero
Good Job I read this, I have been offered Airport (WTF can't thy call it wifi like the rest of the world), iTunes, Java and camera raw. I have an air with thunderbird port, so has that update been pulled I wonder?
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 17 Jun 12 at 11:50
When I grabbed updates the other day, there definitely wasn't one that was Thunderbolt specific available. But then my iMac does not have a Thunderbolt port.
Latest Forum Posts