Computer Related > Windows 8 - Awful Computing Issues
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 14

Windows 8 - Awful - movilogo
Used a beta version of Windows 8 today in a large screen desktop (touch compatible). Very uninspiring and unintuitive interface.

The default interface (i.e. new desktop) you get is full of tiles as you see in Windows phones. This called Metro User Interface. One tile is marked as "legacy desktop" by clicking on which you can get your typical Windows desktop BUT it does not have the Start button!

You need to click/swipe on side of the screen to populate a Control Panel style list of all applications.

I guess some hacker will find a way to make it look (and behave) like Windows 7 very soon.

The desktop with full of tiles may look cool but not suitable for business environment IMHO.
 Windows 8 - Awful - lancara
Good for the screen wipes industry.
 Windows 8 - Awful - DP
I struggle with Metro as well, both in Windows 8 and on mobile devices. I think it's a total mess, and cluttered, ugly and unintuitive compared with iOS, and even Android.

Which is a shame, because Microsoft are in a far stronger position than any of their rivals to deliver the coherent, well supported homogenous platform across both the desktop and mobile devices that is the one thing remaining in terms of OS development that really would change the world.

Apple is a joke in the enterprise environment, and nobody with any awareness of security would allow an Android device within a mile of their corporate network. Cracking the mobile market is far easier than cracking the corporate market. Microsoft has the hard part done, at least in theory.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 18 Jun 12 at 15:38
 Windows 8 - Awful - Zero
Yes, as I indicated on another thread, I will not be using this. It is possible to get to Windows behind the tiled interface once you get used to it, but it is a mess. Wont be going anywhere near it.
 Windows 8 - Awful - rtj70
There are already fixes to get the windows desktop and a start menu - but you shouldn't have to install a hack. This interface will suit small touch devices (never tried a Windows Phone 7.5 device personally) but this won't be any good on larger devices. Even more so without touch.

It makes you wonder how Microsoft cannot see this. There are some who say they accept they won't get businesses to adopt etc.

If it comes down to someone buying a laptop/desktop with Windows 8 or a laptop/desktop with Linux I know what I'd go for. But if Apple were to cut their prices a bit some people might jump to an Apple product and never look back.

It makes you wonder how Steve Balmer has remained in charge for so long now. Bring back Bill Gates.
 Windows 8 - Awful - Kevin
>Bring back Bill Gates.

Good Glub! And Hammer House of Horror could make a documentary about it.
 Windows 8 - Awful - Kevin
A thought:

Vincent Price, Peter Cushing or Christopher Lee in the lead role?
Last edited by: Kevin on Mon 18 Jun 12 at 23:12
And we can all watch that on the new Microsoft Surface.

Wonder what the competition will think of MS having their own hardware for a tablet.... probably stick with pushing Android as an alternative is my guess. And within 12 months MS will have bought Nokia for phones (after the rest of the phone business is culled - and offload the other parts of Nokia).
 Windows 8 - Awful - idle_chatterer
>> Wonder what the competition will think of MS having their own hardware for a tablet....
>> probably stick with pushing Android as an alternative is my guess.

You hit the nail on the head here - the economic term is 'rent appropriation'. Microsoft take most of the profit from the PC business, hardware manufacturers make so little margins that they cannot invest in R&D.

The same can be said of phones, which is why most manufacturers (including Nokia) resisted Microsoft for so long - in Nokia's case until they had no option - although they did have a choice really since Android would have suited them just as well had their CEO not been a Microsoftie.

The iPad works because there is sufficient profit (OK, more than sufficient) for them to invest in R&D. The Samsung Galaxy thingys work because Google don't appropriate all of the profits. unless Win8 is free or very low cost I don't see hardware manufacturers embracing it.
 Windows 8 - Awful - sajid
i had windows xp, didnt want to upgrade till i had to build a new pc from scratch, had 8 gb ram and knew windows xp can access only 2 gb if i am right, thus wasting the other ram, also the processow was a quad core with hyper threading, its a intel 2600k, windows xp wont utilise it, so i went for windows 7, professional retail x64, i didnt go for vista as its got a bad reputation its slow and cumbersome, but windows7 is the new xp for me.

best to get opertating systems 2 generations forward tho thats the moral of the story peoples.

Windows 8 - Awful - movilogo
Win 3 - bad
Win 3.1 - good
Win 95 - bad
Win 98 - good
Win ME - bad
Win XP - good (most corportate PCs still stuck with XP)
Win Vista - bad
Win 7 - good
Win 8 - you get the pattern here

Problem is, once Win 8 is out, don't think MS will allow any hardware manufacturer to bundle OEM Win 7 anymore. So public will be forced to use Win 8.
>> don't think MS will allow any hardware manufacturer to bundle OEM Win 7 anymore. So
>> public will be forced to use Win 8.

I think you're right in saying OEMs will eventually be prevented selling Win 7... and if I was the purchases I'd go somewhere else if Windows 8 was the only offer. e.g. Linux or OS X.
 Windows 8 - Awful - RichardW
Any new PC I buy from now on is getting Windows marginalised and Linux installed as the primary OS!
 Windows 8 - Awful - FocalPoint
"Win Vista - bad"

PC has Vista. Never had an issue with it, in any way, shape or form. Runs loads of different software faultlessly.

Laptop has Windows 7. Behaves just like Vista. Only difference I've noticed is 7 doesn't do routine Restore Points.
 Windows 8 - Awful - Zero
Win 1 A Joke
Win 2 bad
>> Win 3 - bad
Better
>> Win 3.1 - good
Better still
>> Win 95 - bad
Not bad actually with a fix pack
>> Win 98 - good
Better with a fix pack
>> Win ME - bad
very, didn't even get a fix pack
>> Win XP - good (most corportate PCs still stuck with XP)
With a fix pack very good the best they did
>> Win Vista - bad
Not as bad as claimed. With a fix pack
>> Win 7 - good
>> Win 8 - you get the pattern here

Yeah - fix packs, Never move till the first fix pack is out.
>> Problem is, once Win 8 is out, don't think MS will allow any hardware manufacturer
>> to bundle OEM Win 7 anymore. So public will be forced to use Win 8.

No the real problem is that MS knows the PC is a dead duck. Tablets and net appliances is the way of the future. There will be no place for a fully functioning loaded PC with a bloated OS. MS don't have that so they just slap a tablet/appliance curtain on the front.

Mac OS is going the same way.
The PC is dead long live the tablet.
Latest Forum Posts