Computer Related > Aldi Medion akoya pc Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 12

Aldi Medion akoya pc - borasport
Anybody know how to get the front cover4 off easily ( the power switch has gone)

One side of the case is removable, and the cover has the usual snap lock / wedgie things, three on each side - five are easily accessible and off, the sixth is on the far side of the dvd drive and inaccessbile.
It also looks like if that could be unclipped, the top of the front conver would still be contained by the docking station the the external drive, and I can't find any way to get that off

Tried googling it, but couldn't find anything specific
 Aldi Medion akoya pc - rtj70
Most cases I've had or come across have the front unclip by pulling it - from what you say this is not possible on this?
 Aldi Medion akoya pc - Zero
Pull Harder. Use a lever.
>> Pull Harder. Use a lever.
>>
They defaalt mode for all IT professionals :-), but I want to check it out before resorting to that, and I can't see it working without causing damage.
It would probably sacrifice the 6th clip, which would inevitably ping off somewhere inside the case, but there's also the issue that the front panel is overlapped for its full width the a depth of about 1/3" by the valance for this docking unit on the top.
One of those jobs where you have to remove the docking unit to replace the front panel, and you just know if there were instructions for removing the front panel they would say 'first remove the docking unit....'
 Aldi Medion akoya pc - devonite
sometimes you can find "tutorials" on how to do lappytop things on you tube! - type in your model and see if anything comes up!
But this is a desktop. It sounds like the front would pull off if it were not for the hard disk dock on the top.

I wonder if Rattle has seen one of these in his line of work and can offer advice?
Turns out that at 2 yrs & 5 months, its still under warranty, so I rang Medion and they are sending a new front panel.
It's obviously a common problem as they have made an illustrated 7 page guide on how to do it, which basically says exactly what Zeddo said earlier, with the caveat 'During detatchment it can maybe happen, that one of the mounting hooks break off...'

Aldi Medion akoya pc - Zero
Its the same principal as removing car trim. You pull hard and expect to have to replace clips.

I have a set of "trim removal tools" Basically fancy levers to apply force. (in the right place)
 Aldi Medion akoya pc - RattleandSmoke
I usually use a debit card to prise off the trim from the base. Never snapped anything yet.

Is this the netbook? If so I have one myself but have never opened it up so I can't give you any more guidance. I do usually see if there are any youtube videos for the specific laptop which tell you how to open the case. It saves a lot of guess work and messing about.

It's a desktop Rats. So he needs to pull the front off and will probably brake some of the clips it seems.
 Aldi Medion akoya pc - RattleandSmoke
Sorry must have miss read that, most the Medion desktops I have come across are older Core 2 or P4 HT era machines.

Got a Median on the bench at the moment but it is an older one, but I will have a look. Normally you do have to prise the clips off but you normally only need to snap a couple and the rest will unclip easily however must the time you can get away without clipping any.

If you really cannot get the front off there is another couple of tricks.

The first is to see if the BIOS will allow you to turn the PC on via the keyboard, I have done this quite a few times for customers wanting a quick and cheap broken switch fix.

The other more messy way and I wouldn't recommend it, is to mount a push to make switch onto a 5.25" blanking plate and connect that up to the motherboards power switch header, but with it being a Medion all the case connections are probably on one block making it tricky.

Is it switch that has broken or is it just the plastic cover to the switch that has snapped (common fault on most cases).
It's actually the return spring for the on off switch that has broke - looks a fairly fragile design, so I've little doubt the replacement may well go the same way in time

Perhaps I shoud avoid keeping the pc at floor level and using my big toe to turn it on and off :-)
Last edited by: borasport on Sat 23 Jun 12 at 10:19
 Aldi Medion akoya pc - R.P.
I've got a Medion desktop ripe for a de-commision here - can you post a photo of the switch. May have a spare.
Latest Forum Posts