Computer Related > Tablet for work Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 15

Tablet for work - smokie
No, not uppers and downers...

The company I work for are taking away laptops from us, and providing virtually dumb termianls at hot desks, with Citrix, which I can also access from home PC. All very nice, but I quite like having a machine at meetings, where I can refer to documents and make notes. I know I couldn't get the Citrix desktop on it, but that's not too important.

So the obvious choice would be a laptop, but I'm wondering whether a 10.1" tablet would suffice, with the bluetooth keyboard.

Don't want to spend more than about £400. Would like 32Gb memory & wireless. 3G/4G not essential. Would be multi-purpose, I wouldn't expect to store/play much multimedia on it but would like it to double up when leisure travelling as a portable machine to replace the 7.1" net book I bought a few years back. I suppose GPS would be handy at times when travelling (though maybe limited, with no persistent data connection when abroad)..

So, any suggestions? New iPad looks quite expensive, looked at the following:

www.t3.com/reviews/acer-iconia-tab-a510-review
ASUS Transformer Prime 300 - bit pricier but comes with BT keyboard (and has USB!) eee.asus.com/en/eeepad/transformer-prime/features/
Samsung Galaxy 2 10.1 Tab www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/tablets/tablets/GT-P5110TSABTU-spec

btw I've found an Android app (Kingston Office) which looks a pretty good substitute for MS Office, and I think would serve my "office" needs.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 21 Jun 12 at 13:11
 Tablet for work - rtj70
There are two versions of ASUS transformer with one cheaper than the other. Both look to be good. I don't the keyboard is BT though - it plugs in and has an additional battery to increase battery life when working.

The newer one has dropped the eeepad name and is just the Transformer Pad:

eee.asus.com/en/eeepad/transformer-300/features/

This one is plastic covered and not aluminium.

Depending on how your VPN connection from work is configured, if you got a 3G tablet then you might be able to VPN in on it and use a Citrix client. Costs would soon add up. I assume in your offices there isn't going to be Wifi if they are getting rid of laptops.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 21 Jun 12 at 13:52
 Tablet for work - Zero
I would wait,

a: to see if you really need a tablet
b: for MS surface prices & availability to be announced
 Tablet for work - smokie
Rob - you're right, the keyboard isn't BT

Zero - you know I don't NEED one, as usual I have a desire to spend on technology and have been thinking of a (more modest) tablet for some time - the work thing justifies it a little, if it's a viable solution.

Will look into when Surface is coming out and likely pricing, as I'm not quite in any rush yet...
 Tablet for work - rtj70
>> b: for MS surface prices & availability to be announced

MS tablet running Windows 8 RT (ARM) likely to be $599 and the Windows 8 Pro (Intel) will be $799. Clearly early to say if this source is correct.

www.tomsguide.com/us/Windows-8-Pro-Windows-RT-Surface-Pegatron-Charles-Lin,news-15620.html
 Tablet for work - movilogo
Get an iPad and then use Quick Office or similar app on it.

If you jailbreak, you can use VPN too.

Tablet for work - rtj70
Google bring out their Nexus tablet next week.
 Tablet for work - smokie
Only 7" as far as I can see Rob.

I am getting fruity at the thought of the Asus TF201 (Prime). :-)
 Tablet for work - Focusless
>> I am getting fruity at the thought of the Asus TF201 (Prime). :-)

You really need to get out more :)
 Tablet for work - rtj70
It is, but others' prices might adjust if it comes out at a good price.
 Tablet for work - swiss tony
>> The company I work for are taking away laptops from us, and providing virtually dumb
>> termianls at hot desks, with Citrix,

Good luck....

We use that setup at work.
BTW Citrix is pronounced we a Sh........
 Tablet for work - rtj70
If designed correctly and the network is up to it, Citrix is fine.

I'd rather a thick client all the same for work - depends if you're a power type user or someone for whom thin client is okay.
 Tablet for work - PeterS
>> We use that setup at work.
>> BTW Citrix is pronounced we a Sh........
>>

We use citrix terminals, but for desk based only users. Hateful technology for anyone who actually wants to do any serious work, though I freely admit that might be our implementation of it! Most 'intensive' users end up with a proper PC or laptop... There is a citrix app for the iPad though, which might help the OP
Last edited by: PeterS on Fri 22 Jun 12 at 06:51
 Tablet for work - Zero
Funny init, All users think citrix is compete garbage, and all the it techies think its wonderful.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 27 Jun 12 at 19:02
 Tablet for work - rtj70
It's not garbage but often not properly implemented. Either the network links aren't up to it or the user type is wrong for such a solution.

Years ago I saw servers spec'd for a Citrix solution which were way over the top. The bottleneck for Citrix was down to 32-bit Windows and how some data structures in the kernel ran out of resources. So putting an 8-way box with 8Gb of RAM was a waste. The 'experts' working with me on that project didn't listen.
 Tablet for work - Zero
Yes it is. It provides a multiuser system out of an operating system that was never designed to be multi user.
Latest Forum Posts