Computer Related > Google's tribute to Turing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 5

Google's tribute to Turing - bathtub tom
Can anyone make any sense of it?

I can see it's trying all the possible binary variations, but what are the buttons underneath for?
 Google's tribute to Turing - Iffy
I don't understand it, but there's stuff here about how to solve the 'puzzle'.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&src_vid=Dq9ebxFVNQY&annotation_id=annotation_203880&v=QA3S4MDj2CE
 Google's tribute to Turing - devonite
I didnt actually realise it was a puzzle!! - but when I read about him I was suprised to learn that he opted for Chemical Castration after being imprisoned for Homosexuality in the `50`s, he later committed suicide!
 Google's tribute to Turing - Iffy
...he later committed suicide!...

Or possibly he didn't:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18561092
 Google's tribute to Turing - Zero
Turing was generally a strange fellow, I mean really strange, unsuited to life in a mixed society, as the Über intelligent often are. These days he would be labelled with lots of symptoms.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 24 Jun 12 at 08:57
 Google's tribute to Turing - TeeCee
Those were to program it, so that the Turing machine analogue acted correctly on the tape to enter the correct binary for each character, to spell out G-o-o-g-l-e.

IIRC, you had forward and backspaces, ones and zeroes, change level dependant on the tape currently having one, zero or blank and a "go back to here" operation. I think that was the lot. By setting the operators given as controllable to the correct options (one, zero, down-on-one, etc), you could get it to run a sequence to generate the correct code.

Fairly simple once you'd figured out what it was doing. Once you got it right, it'd run through again and then pull up the search results for "Alan Turing".
Latest Forum Posts