Computer Related > Sound Has Stopped Working On My PC Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 16

Sound Has Stopped Working On My PC - Duncan
The sound has stopped working on my PC. Any ideas, please?

The power is on, a green light shows on the primary speaker. It is plugged in round the back of the PC.

Are there any checks that I can run?

TIA.
 Sound Has Stopped Working On My PC - Zero
Reboot

Check that you don't have the volume muted on the volume control (bottom right of the task bar)
Done that. No difference.

I have gone to Control Panel > Sound > Speakers (Green tick) > Speaker Properties > Advanced > Default Format 16 bit, 44100Hz (CD Quality) > Test. I can hear sound first in the left and then in the right speakers.

Clicked OK on everything. No change.
 Sound Has Stopped Working On My PC - Focusless
Tried headphones?
 Sound Has Stopped Working On My PC - Ambo
I suppose the relevant power source is switched on? Elementary but it caught me out.
Yep. Switched at t'plug, green power light on the speaker. Speaker icon thing not greyed out (or whatever) on the taskbar.
 Sound Has Stopped Working On My PC - Dog
How about the edphones as comrade Focus mentioned - plugged into the tower (not THAT Tower!)
 Sound Has Stopped Working On My PC - VxFan
>> It is plugged in round the back of the PC.

Try taking the jack plug out of the back of the PC and plugging it into another output source (eg portable stero, hi-fi) - providing of course they have a jack socket - to se if the speakers still work.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 26 Jun 12 at 10:18
 Sound Has Stopped Working On My PC - devonite
re-install the soundcard drivers, sometimes Av or other things knock them out!
Last edited by: devonite on Tue 26 Jun 12 at 12:40
 Sound Has Stopped Working On My PC - smokie
What application are you trying to hear sound in?

My money is on something being muted, as per above, as you are hearing sound in the test.

You can mute the overall sound using the icon that most people would have on the bottom right of their tool bar. But you can also mute in e.g. YouTube, which would only affect sound in your browser.
>> re-install the soundcard drivers, sometimes Av or other things knock them out!
>>

Basic question, how do I do that?
 Sound Has Stopped Working On My PC - rtj70
I'm in agreement with smokie - if you can hear sound in the test then the speakers and sound card are working.

Depending on the version of Windows you are running the system volume control will have multiple sound/volume levels. So you might have a separate ones for:

-Volume Control (overall volume)
- Line in
- Wave
- SW Synth
- CD audio

This is for XP. If you have a modern PC with a newer operating system then the devices that show up in volume control depend on what is plugged in, i.e. speakers are detected.

You can also mute individual devices.
>>the speakers and sound card are working.

if all else fails ;-)

The sound heard on the test may just be from the case speaker - the one that sometimes beeps on post before the sound drivers load.
try going into computer - system information - hardware - device manager - scroll down to sound controller, right click and your sound card should show, click on it, drivers tab, reinstall drivers.
p.s this is for XP.
 Sound Has Stopped Working On My PC - rtj70
The test sound will be a tone in left and then right speaker. If this is what Duncan hears then it's not the driver or speakers - he needs to change the settings.

We'll have to wait for him to report back.
I am running Windows 7 64bit. The speakers are Creative SBS260.

I have gone to:-

Control Panel
System
Device Manager
Sound video & Game controllers
High Definition Audio Device - Tabs
General - This device is working properly
Driver - The best driver software for your device is already installed

So, I thought perhaps if I uninstall the driver (it may be corrupt) I can re-install a clean version.

I clicked the uninstall button. Done.

Now, how do I re-install it? The Sound video and game Controllers thing has vanished from device manager.

I have searched for device drivers for my speakers without success.
Cracked it!

I noticed that the speaker icon on the taskbar had a red cross against it. Clicked on that and followed the various steps. It installed the driver(s) and it now seems to be working ok (fingers crossed).

The first sound was one of Zero's videos - Oliver Cromwell.

I never thought I would be quite so pleased to open one of Zero's posts!!

Thank you all for your words of advice.
Last edited by: Duncan on Wed 27 Jun 12 at 07:16
Great feeling when you "Sus" something out! ;-)

I`ve found in the past that "Device Manager" sometimes tells lies! - the number of minutes wasted looking elsewhere because it has reported (as you discovered) "This device is working properly" or "the best drivers are already installed"!!!!
Sometimes its best to go for the jugular straight away, nuke the existing drivers and re-install, at least you then know that they are the latest version and are infact installed!.
Latest Forum Posts