Computer Related > Car4play.com is not responding Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 58

Car4play.com is not responding - L'escargot
This week I have had a lot of "Car4play.com is not responding" messages as I navigate around the site. Is it the fault of my computer or Car4play? I don't have this problem with other websites. My computer runs Windows 7 and IE9.
 Car4play.com is not responding - Clk Sec
No problems at this end with Firefox or Chrome.
 Car4play.com is not responding - Bromptonaut
XP & Chrome on an aging Fujitsu - Siemens. Regularly get a little cartoon of a shivering PC in a scarf (ie frozen) and an invite to kill the page. Resolves itself in a few seconds if I wait.

Put it down to PC's age but it'll need more than that for me to shell out on a replacement.
 Car4play.com is not responding - Zero
Who is your ISP? TalkTalk has been acting the goat this week. Failing that its those damn flash ads again.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 29 Jun 12 at 07:32
>> Who is your ISP?

Orange.
 Car4play.com is not responding - VxFan
Happened to me once earlier in the week.

Every time I've visited the site this evening, it just locks up. Disabled Adobe shockwave flash and active x and the problem has gone away.

I'll drop SK an email.
 Car4play.com is not responding - rtj70
I've not had a problem this week with ads turned on - why turn them off if they help and are not an issue? But late last night the broadband (BT) slowed down a lot but that was bed time.
>> ............ Disabled Adobe shockwave
>> flash ........ and the problem has gone away.

Thanks VxFan, I've now done the same. I seem to recall finding yonks ago that Adobe Flash Object caused locking-up problems, but I'd forgotten about it.
Is this still happening to you? It was to me earlier until I disabled flash again.

I've just updated adode shockwave and adobe flash to the latest versions in case there was a compatability problem between that and one (or more) of the adverts.

I'll see how it goes.

ps, running IE8 and WinXP, btw.
Fine on the Mac this evening (Lion using Safari).
>> Is this still happening to you?

Not now I've disabled Shockwave Flash Object.
 Car4play.com is not responding - Stuartli
Could still be worth clearing the Internet cache...:-)
 Car4play.com is not responding - R.P.
MacBook/Firefox not had any lock ups or kick offs but the little circle on the tab was still spinning as after the page had loaded.
Safari on the Air locks up on this site, and always has the spinner after the site has loaded,
That's what I was trying to say - less eloquently !
You'd have thought Stephen would make sure the pages loaded okay on Safari since he is a Mac user :-)

I get the spinning thing to say the page has not finished loading. Does not stop you using it because of how Khoo systems loads the pages.
>> Could still be worth clearing the Internet cache...:-)
>>

How do I do that? Can Ccleaner be set to do it?
>>Can Ccleaner be set to do it?

Yes, it can.
it Can Can
>> >>Can Ccleaner be set to do it?
>>
>> Yes, it can.
>>

Tell me more.

Is it a default setting? If I go to Applications I can see an Internet Cache box (and it's checked) for Google Chrome, but I can't see a similarly named box for Internet Explorer.
 Car4play.com is not responding - FocalPoint
"Is it a default setting?"

Looks like it.

If you hit the "Analyze" button after opening CCleaner the program will offer Internet Explorer files for deletion (Temporary Internet Files, History and Index.dat files).

The "Windows" panel shows it is set up for Internet Explorer (including cookies) by default.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 9 Jul 12 at 10:52
>> Tell me more.

Just go into the "tools - internet options" menu of your web browser and delete your browsing history from there.
>> I'll see how it goes.

Happened again tonight - grrr!!
 Car4play.com is not responding - missyMe
We are all looking into this but I cannot replicate the issue - I'm on my virtual Windows 7 with IE9 - also trying Windows XP and Windows Vista all with various versions of IE and cannot get the site to lock up.

We will keep on investigating to see what we can do...
It seems sporadic - the site has never locked on my MacBook, iPad or my work Windows 7 machine. The twirling thingy on the tab spins on occasion but isn't now.
Doing it now though.
 Car4play.com is not responding - Pat
Not here, it isn't:)

Pat
I think its entirely dependent on what advert you are lumped with, if it has high flash content or not.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 9 Jul 12 at 19:28
I could be barking completely up the wrong tree, but I just tried the site with Opera and blocked content from an advert, then went into settings to see the link that was blocked.

pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/*

Car4play.com is not responding - FocalPoint
"I could be barking..."

'Nuff said.
 Car4play.com is not responding - sajid
i had a similar problem i got a windows 7 pc with internet explorer, when viewing some pages a box come and says it not responding, got a bit frustrated as it was happening when i am brwowsing so my suggestion was goto tools, internet option and advanced then reset and that did the trick.

mind you i had to type all the pasword and log in all over again

must be addons that causing it
I'm still having problems with C4p Locking up.

Instead of disabling Adode flash every time I come here now, I just run IE in "no add-ons" mode for C4P only. (can be found through Start - All Programs menus)

Saves havingto switch Adobe flash back on for other websites.
And if we turn off Flash presumably most of the adverts are disabled and Khoo Systems receive no money from adverts.... and eventually closes this down?

Perhaps Khoo Systems could look into it if they have time to spare for this 'free' service?
 Car4play.com is not responding - car4play
Have done a configuration change that might fix it.

See how it goes.
I'm not sure its flash itself that causing the problem, more likely its flash waiting for the content to be served and loaded from whatever source (adsense?)
That would figure zero. The config change I made fixed an ad serving timeout issue
Touch wood it's been fine so far today.

Seems slightly quicker in the pages being loaded too.
 Car4play.com is not responding - neiltoo
Actually today, I'm getting a lot of trouble with the back button (IE8) not working.
When I drop down the list there , I see several "http//ads.car4play/www/delivery/af".

I get this occasionally on other sites.
I suspect this is somehow related to adverts that haven't loaded.

Can anyone confirm, and is there any way around it - it certainly slows down surfing, as there's a wait until I realise, and drop the list down.
 Car4play.com is not responding - John H
>> Actually today, I'm getting a lot of trouble
>>

with locking up and slow loading if I use Opera12.

No problems on Chrome20 or Firefox13 or IE9.
I am currently updating the databases on the ad server and setting up the replication server for this on our new vmware hosting. This means that I am periodically taking down the ad server for a few seconds.
It shouldn't cause too much of an issue because we AJAX load the ads AFTER the page has loaded. i.e. you should at least see the page even if the ad contents don't show up.

Last edited by: car4play on Mon 16 Jul 12 at 15:32
>> Actually today, I'm getting a lot of trouble with the back button (IE8) not working.
>> is there any way around it ?

There are 3 arrows on the RHS of the thread next to the date/time stamp. Click on the LH one.
>> Touch wood it's been fine so far today.

I spoke too soon.
In which case we all should disable ads and wait for Stephen to either fix the problem or close the site.

It's never been a problem for me on a Mac with OS X 10.7 Lion using Safari (and other browsers when tried) but the site needs resolve this.
It's not happening to everyone though, and it's intermittant - one of the worst things to find and rectify.

I'm back with the add ons enabled and it's now ok. In 5 mins time however, who knows.

I've found a fix that works for me. If it's not happening to others, then why should they disable the add ons?

From experience of HJ days, this type of thing can be browser specific. Some newbie web designer writes a script for a new advert, but doesn't test it on all web browsers. Just because it works on his, he thinks it'll work elsewhere.
Just locked up again.

I think I've discovered when it does it.

If I click on the "Car4play...a passion for motoring" banner to take me back to the list of forums, or click on the word "forum" next to "My Drive" then it'll do it.

If however, I move between each forum using the drop down menus, then it doesn't seem to lock up and freeze.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 17 Jul 12 at 01:58
 Car4play.com is not responding - devonite
Mentioning "My Drive" have the people that were hired to do the paving moved on without finishing the job? - if so, don`t pay-em up front next time!
Last edited by: Webmaster on Tue 17 Jul 12 at 15:37
Rome wasn't built in a day. You have to wait patiently for quality workmanship.
They gave the job to G4S.
For the first time, I'm getting this site not responding (e.g. scrolling) at times. This is MacOS X 10.7.4 and Safari 5.1.7. I could use the develop/debug menu if Khoo Systems want some debug info.
Now that I've enabled the add-ons ~ tinyurl.com/cdqma2s ~ every so often I get "Car4play is not responding" again. It seems I'm between the Devil and the deep blue sea or somesuch.
Its a problem with this site that may or may not get fixed.
>> every so often I get "Car4play is not responding" again.

Try running IE in "no add-ons" mode - as mentioned above.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=11075&m=249808&v=e

Saves having to enable/disable Adobe flash when visiting other sites.
Have had to resort to using IE without add ons this morning.

C4P just keeps hanging while trying to load a stubborn advert.
>> C4P just keeps hanging .............

"Er indoors has found out it now happens frequently to me, and she keeps taunting me by saying "How's it hanging"!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 5 Sep 12 at 06:59
>> >> C4P just keeps hanging .............
>>
>> "Er indoors has found out it now happens frequently to me, and she keeps taunting
>> me by saying "How's it ......."!

I'll tell "er indoors that she's not to say it again because it earned me a scowling face. Sorry.
What is there to be offended about in those two comments? - tis no worse than saying your hanging out with your mates!
It's the same as 'wet paint, do not touch' signs.

Someone is bound to touch the paint sooner or later.
must be a Car4play fault! - red Scowly`s awarded by default!! - Testing Testing..........
>> must be a Car4play fault! - red Scowly`s awarded by default!! - Testing Testing..........
>>

Unless someone has been playing silly beggars!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 8 Sep 12 at 07:25
Latest Forum Posts