Computer Related > I need a 1TB external drive compatible with Win7 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 14

I need a 1TB external drive compatible with Win7 - L'escargot
I bought a 1TB FreeAgent Desk 9ZC2AG-500 for backing up purposes when I had my original Windows XP Home computer, but it's not compatible with the Windows 7 of my current computer. Any recommendations for a 1TB external drive which is compatible with Windows 7?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 3 Jul 12 at 09:23
 I need a 1TB external drive compatible with Win7 - John H
>>but it's not compatible with the Windows 7 of my current computer.
>>

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

I need a 1TB external drive compatible with Win7 - rtj70
If it's a USB drive that is formatted as either FAT32 or more likely NTFS then it is compatible with Windows 7. The assumption here is it is working okay on other computers.

When you plug it in does it show up in Disk Manager? Easiest way to launch disk manager is to go to the start menu and type in disk.... it fill then find a number of items and you should open up 'Create and format hard disk partitions'. Maybe the drive is being recognised but is not assigning it a drive letter?
 I need a 1TB external drive compatible with Win7 - spamcan61
The only other possibility I can think of is that snailly is possibly using a 3rd party program (bundled with the external HDD), and it's this program that is not Win7 friendly.

As pointed out already it really should work pretty much independant of Win OS flavour.

don't try and format it in Disk Manager if there's data on there you need, Ok to see if it's being recognised in that program though.
>> >>but it's not compatible with the Windows 7 of my current computer.
>> >>
>>
>> How did you arrive at that conclusion?

The operating instructions only refer to XP and Vista, viz "Use Simple Backup to back up your XP My Documents folder or your Vista Personal Folder". Perhaps it's because Windows 7 hadn't been invented when the instructions were composed. I think I'll have to go back to the drawing board. The instructions are horrifically complicated ~ particularly for the likes of me!

>> The instructions are horrifically complicated ~ particularly for the likes of me!
>>

Tell us what you find difficult or what it is you aim to achieve, and we may be able to show you an easier way to go about it.

I need a 1TB external drive compatible with Win7 - rtj70
If you bought the drive before Windows 7 was even out - then it cannot mention Windows 7 can it ;-)

It will work just that how you use the drive for backups might be different. Should be similar to Vista. Have you looked at Backup and Restore in Control Panel?

Also have you confirmed the drive does appear when plugged in if you look at Computer.

For backups I prefer to use something simpler like ROBOCOPY and not rely on an actual backup program. Might be a bit technical for you.
L'es has so little data to backup ..

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=10933&v=t

.. that he could make 4 partitions on his 1TB Freeagent and copy and keep 4 complete "ghost" images of his primary partition as backups!

I need a 1TB external drive compatible with Win7 - Focusless
>> If you bought the drive before Windows 7 was even out - then it cannot
>> mention Windows 7 can it ;-)

L'Es mentioned that.
 I need a 1TB external drive compatible with Win7 - spamcan61
If you've got a TB to play with you could use Win 7's backup feature to backup the whole drive:-

www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/18/windows-7-windows-backup-overview

or use the sync. feature to keep your 'my documents' or whatever synchronised with a copy on the 1TB disk:-

windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Sync-Center-frequently-asked-questions

no need to use the existing 3rd party program.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Tue 3 Jul 12 at 19:29
>> If you've got a TB to play with you could use Win 7's backup feature
>> to backup the whole drive:-
>>
>> www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/18/windows-7-windows-backup-overview
>>
>> or use the sync. feature to keep your 'my documents' or whatever synchronised with a
>> copy on the 1TB disk:-
>>
>> windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Sync-Center-frequently-asked-questions
>>

Thanks spamcan61. That's very informative.
>> >> If you bought the drive before Windows 7 was even out - then it
>> cannot
>> >> mention Windows 7 can it ;-)
>>
>> L'Es mentioned that.
>>

I so did!
:-D
Because I used the device with my old XP computer, do I need to erase what's on it and start again?
 I need a 1TB external drive compatible with Win7 - Zero
If you don't need the data thats already on it, I would reformat it.
>> Because I used the device with my old XP computer, do I need to erase
>> what's on it and start again?
>>

You don't need to so.

But, as Zero says, if the old saved data is of no importance then you may just as well do a complete re-format.

BTW, you haven't replied to rtj's question "When you plug it in does it show up in Disk Manager?"

Latest Forum Posts