Computer Related > Laptop turns off on its own Computing Issues
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 7

Laptop turns off on its own - hawkeye
My Acer 5742 pauses during boot up to display a message, "Error sending End of Post message to ME". It then appears to boot normally but the fan runs at full speed until the power cuts off after about 3 minutes.

Google suggests it's to do with the BIOS. I've tried to go into the BIOS and save with no changes but the system appears to hang on a BIOS screen until the power cuts.

Where do I go from here? Suggestions welcome. TIA.
 Laptop turns off on its own - Zero
Sounds to me like a hardware issue. AT that stage of the bios it sounds like memory. Take out the memory simm and clean the contacts.
 Laptop turns off on its own - devonite
Are you seeing any of the o/s screens? or doesn`t it get that far? if after doing as Z suggests, try loading default bios settings, and if still no good try removing the Cmos battery or re-setting it on the mobo.

Ah! sorry tis a laptop, might not be possible to do the latter.
Last edited by: devonite on Mon 9 Jul 12 at 11:26
 Laptop turns off on its own - hawkeye
z - Taken the memory out and cleaned the contacts and it's OK now

d - couldn't get it to save BIOS settings. I've changed the BIOS battery

Suspiciously easy fix. Thank you.
 Laptop turns off on its own - Zero

>> Suspiciously easy fix. Thank you.

Lets hope it is, because if it fails again this now points to loose connections (and a full strip down) on the motherboard, or worse a motherboard cracking up.

It might well be the memory dimm connections tho, they do flex and get dirty in use.
 Laptop turns off on its own - RattleandSmoke
See how it goes, but in my experience when a fix seems too easy it is often because it hasn't fixed it.

May have just been a loose SODIMM though hopefully :) or it may be something more serious and removing all power (e.g the battery) may have fixed it for now.
 Laptop turns off on its own - TeeCee
>> removing all power (e.g the battery) may have fixed it for now.

That'll be the one. Something corrupted in the BIOS settings would give a POST error like that. Removing the battery and forcing a full CMOS reset to factory settings could well have fixed it.
 Laptop turns off on its own - RattleandSmoke
But on a laptop the laptop battery doesn't power the CMOS, there is a separate battery just like PCs have, I am assuming the OP didn't remove this, but if he did then that is what probably what has fixed it as you say.
Latest Forum Posts