Computer Related > VGA to USB Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 44

VGA to USB - Pat
I'd like to use a different laptop with my projector but it doessn't have a VGA port ( I think that's the correct term...it's a blue thing with a scew either side).

The laptop I want to use doesn't have a blue plug at all but there is a spare lead with the projector that goes to a USB port but won't work on the old laptop.

Do I need some sort of adaptor to change the VGA to USB...I'm confused.

Pat
 VGA to USB - Zero
No there is no such thing as VGA to USB converter. Its possible that the projector maker made a driver to stream video from laptop to projector via the USB. You will need that software. check out the projector makers web site.
 VGA to USB - RattleandSmoke
Does your laptop have an HDMI or DVI connector? It must have some sort of video out on it. VGA is out of date now so I am not surprised it doesn't have one, but should have some video output. I have never seen a laptop without some sort of video output but with all the cost cuttings these days I would not be that surprised if they existed :(

Have a look at all the ports and see if it something says HDMI, DVI or video.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 10 Jul 12 at 13:57
 VGA to USB - rtj70
As Rattle says the laptop is likely to have HDMI, DVI or possibly DisplayPort (or it's mini DP variant).

Apart from the USB lead for the projector, what other connections does it have? Is it only VGA?
 VGA to USB - Zero
The projector is unlikely to have an HDMI input if its got a VGA lead.

The laptop pat has might well have a DVI socket, for which she will need a DVI/VGA adaptor plug.
 VGA to USB - Pat
I wrote this all down on Sunday when I packed it up becaause I just knew you lot would ask me awkward questions but I suppose it's better than swallowing my pride and carting them both down to PC World at Peterborough;)

The projector has

S-Video
RS 232
And a USB Block
But only the two leads with it.

The laptop I want to connect it to has

...pictures by the sockets so I don't know what they mean.:(

It has one round multipin like an aerial connector
One like the VGA but smaller
2 Block type USB's
2 Ordinary USB's
And another USB with a picture of a Devils Fork on it.
It's an HP G6000

That's the best I can do.

Pat
 VGA to USB - Iffy
Sounds like you have a mini-vga, so what you need is a mini-vga to standard vga lead, as made by HP:

h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06c/A1-329290-64265-3965876-3965876-3841320-3841326.html

Others probably available.
 VGA to USB - Zero
The round multipin is S video, if you have an S video lead with your projector you are in business
 VGA to USB - Pat
I don't have an S-Video lead with it and I've googled the adapter...it seems many projectors refuse to work with them and they are hard to get hold of in this Country.

Pat
 VGA to USB - Zero
get yer'sen down to Maplins in Peterborough for an S video cable

www.maplin.co.uk/high-performance-s-video-cable-1.5m-220482

VGA to USB - Pat
I have to go to Peterborough next Tuesday for my HGV Medical so I'll pop in Maplins.

Thanks Z

Pat
 VGA to USB - Pat
Will I get sound with this lead Z?

Pat
 VGA to USB - rtj70
It depends on the laptop and projector but this lead can carry sound. Does the projector have speakers?
 VGA to USB - Pat
I don't think so.....I use extension speakers on my laptop though and the clips are embedded in the presentation.

Pat
 VGA to USB - rtj70
If the projector has no speakers.... you'll get no sound regardless of what lead you use :-)
 VGA to USB - VxFan
>> I use extension speakers on my laptop though and the clips are embedded in the presentation.

All you're using the projector for is to visually replicate the same image that's on the laptop screen. The sound will still come out the laptop speakers (or the extension speakers that are plugged into the laptop).
 VGA to USB - Pat
Thanks VX, that was the part I didn't understand!

Pat
 VGA to USB - busbee
"No there is no such thing as VGA to USB converter."

The request was for a USB to 9 pin RS232 plug. google USB to serial.

Here is one:-

www.usbnow.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=usb+to+serial&osCsid=nqt5oandfjikp291m7ou8d2jl3&x=35&y=13

I also have one (no maker) I bought about 10 years ago but never got round to using it.

It has a 60 cm lead that can be extended a bit with a USB lead. Mine came with a small (8cm or so) CD and the instruction to use that before plugging in the USB. It was before Vista came out and just quotes XP but the above probably covers Win7.

Thus the RS232 end is then ready to plug into a projector. The video needs only two connections, live and earth. Easily provided within the 9 pins.

VGA to USB - Zero
>> "No there is no such thing as VGA to USB converter."
>>
>> The request was for a USB to 9 pin RS232 plug. google USB to serial.
>>
>
No it wasn't.

And projectors don't come with RS232. Thats a serial communication, video is not serial.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 24 Jul 12 at 21:38
 VGA to USB - rtj70
I hope Busbee doesn't drive on roads near me. Does't have much of a clue what's what.
 VGA to USB - busbee
oops, sorry chaps. Same size connector, wrong number of pins. Senior moment there.
I'll get back to my knitting.
 VGA to USB - No FM2R
In case it still helps.....

-- It has one round multipin like an aerial connector

S-Video

-- One like the VGA but smaller

Actually a VGA

-- 2 Block type USB's

Not USBs. One is a US style telephone socket for a modem (RJ11), the other is for ethernet (RJ45).

-- 2 Ordinary USB's

Ordinary USBs

-- And another USB with a picture of a Devils Fork on it.

Another ordinary USB

I see no reason why S-Video would fail. That should also carry sound.
 VGA to USB - Zero
Blimey! Hello mark! to what do we owe this honour?
 VGA to USB - No FM2R
Sitting in the sun in the Andes, drinking wine with not much else to do so thought I'd mooch about. Been meaning to drop in for ages.

Hows things?
 VGA to USB - Zero
Retired life is a bitch - a real bitch. If i wasn't single handedly keeping the games going, I would fly out and join you.
 VGA to USB - Bromptonaut
All the best Mark. Take it your current berth is better than up the road in RBLS!!
 VGA to USB - No FM2R
Hi Bromptonaut. Yup, current berth is better than RLBS. Although the beer is crap.
 VGA to USB - No FM2R
Any time Zero, any time.

BTW, off topic, can you get moderated for that these days? The Opening Ceremony was damned brilliant. I loved it, and sat in a bar full of johnnie foreigners, watching JF Television, and having them all enthuse about how great it was and how only the british could do it like that was brilliant.

Loved it.

How's the weather there for the games?
 VGA to USB - Zero

>> Loved it.

Should have been in the stadium mate, I saw the rehearsal on Monday night. The noise was stupendous!

>>
>> How's the weather there for the games?

Not been too bad, the ladies cyclists got muddy and soaked today tho, and the pool is flooded.
 VGA to USB - No FM2R
Was there much difference between the rehearsal and the real thing?

I could have gone to the ceremony, but I thought it'd be boring like these things tend to be. Even Coe was interesting. Nuther one of my ridiculous decisions.
 VGA to USB - Pat
Thanks FMR2!

Z only gives half the info so I have to ask him again, but as you know him you'll know his tactics;)

Thread drift is alive and well here, it's what makes it a good place to be....!

Pat
 VGA to USB - Zero
>> Thanks FMR2!
>>
>> Z only gives half the info so I have to ask him again, but as
>> you know him you'll know his tactics;)
>>
>> Thread drift is alive and well here, it's what makes it a good place to
>> be....!
>>
>> Pat

If I gave you everything at once it would overload you!

VGA to USB - No FM2R
>>If I gave you everything at once it would overload you!

That's what I said to my wife. I wouldn't say she was wholly convinced though.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 30 Jul 12 at 16:25
 VGA to USB - No FM2R
>>Thread drift is alive and well here, it's what makes it a good place to be

That and the scandalous use of apostrophes, I guess. "USB's" indeed!!
 VGA to USB - Zero
>> Was there much difference between the rehearsal and the real thing?
>>
>> I could have gone to the ceremony, but I thought it'd be boring like these
>> things tend to be. Even Coe was interesting. Nuther one of my ridiculous decisions.

Yeah lots of difference, we never saw the secret bits, but on tv you missed the
Sheer scale of the chimneys, the chest thumping beat, and the smell, yes they actually got the smell of industrial smog right
 VGA to USB - TeeCee
>> The laptop I want to use doesn't have a blue plug at all but there
>> is a spare lead with the projector that goes to a USB port but won't
>> work on the old laptop.
>>

It probably will, with the appropriate driver from the manufacturer of the projector. Many of them have, in effect, an internal graphics adaptor that can be driven over USB this way.
The same technique is used for the ones that allow wireless connection.

I wouldn't be seen dead trying to use S-Video or Composite from a computer. This usually results in a terrible picture from the projector as your computer outputs the 576 or 480 lines supported in video (rather than the 800+ it supports natively on its screen) and the projector then upmixes the results to its native resolution.

It says in the service manual for the G6000 series on the HP website that it does have a VGA port. On the left-hand side adjacent to the S-Video port.
 VGA to USB - Pat
Yes it does, but it's a small one and doesn't have the screws either side of it.

So can I get an adaptor to run the large one on the projector to the small one on the laptop?

Pat
 VGA to USB - No FM2R
Yes you can get such an adaptor.

Back to S-Video. You do need to remember that S-Video is a connection solution, not a video technology. As such there is no reason for the signal quality to be any better or worse than any other similar source. S-Video cables tend to be fairly naff, which is frequently the issue, or it is sometimes down to conversaion, but then one would see the same from other outputs.

Equally (I think you said you were doing a presentation rather than watching video?) slides don't need anything like the video quality that moving pictures need.

VGA to USB - No FM2R
>>It probably will, with the appropriate driver from the manufacturer of the projector

And if you struggle to find one for your operating system, then frequently the driver from an earlier one will work. e.g. Windows 7 & Vista.
 VGA to USB - Pat
Thanks FM2R, but I do have to take issue with you over USB's!

Just as we allow you to drift far away from my thread, you all allow me to type as I think without consulting my long ago O level English, so how about we make a deal?

I won't have a go at you at thread drift and you won't be pedantic about my lack of grammar....the mods will be happy too!

Sorted!

Pat
 VGA to USB - Mapmaker
Sorry, Pat.

The USB's husband plugged into her.

We ate the USBs.

The former is possessive so takes the genitive, which in English is represented by an apostrophe. The latter is a plural so does not require an apostrophe.
 VGA to USB - No FM2R
What he said.
 VGA to USB - Pat
Look, I'm confused enough with different shapes and sizes of plugs withoutr trying to remember my school days!

You both understood perfectly what I meant, so where's the problem?

I never wanted to be perfect:)

I like me as I am!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Mon 30 Jul 12 at 18:23
 VGA to USB - No FM2R
ooo, remember your school days? well beyond my capacity. Most times a week last thursday is a struggle, never mind squinty-million years ago.

And I never wanted to be perfect either, it's just a cross I've learned to bear.
 VGA to USB - No FM2R
By the way, just idly re-reading this thread, do check that the VGA adapter on your laptop is indeed smaller, and not simply appearing so because it does not have the screws either side.

I suspect that a VGA/VGA cable might be just fine, which I think you already have. If not, snaffle one off a monitor to check.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 30 Jul 12 at 18:56
Latest Forum Posts