Computer Related > Memorised log-ins and passwords Computing Issues
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 5

Memorised log-ins and passwords - Cliff Pope
My office computer is going to be replaced and upgraded next week while I am away.
Obviously I am saving everything of value, including address book, bookmarks, etc.

But I have large number of saved log-ins and passwords for dozens of suppliers etc, and I know from past experience it is a long palaver finding or remembering them and then re-entering when I need them on the new computer.

Is there by any chance an easy way of copying all a computer's saved passwords etc, and then importing them into the new computer, so that it thinks it has remembered them for itself?
 Memorised log-ins and passwords - Crankcase
Firefox has an export/import password function, if that is relevant?
 Memorised log-ins and passwords - Iffy
There are password management programs, but I believe each password has to entered once, so probably won't help Cliff.

www.roboform.com/
 Memorised log-ins and passwords - Cliff Pope
>> Firefox has an export/import password function, if that is relevant?
>>

That's exactly what I want, thank you very much.
It took a while to find the facility - it seemed it needed an Ad-on which for some reason it was reluctant to accept. But done now, it's under Options, Security.
 Memorised log-ins and passwords in Firefox - sherlock47
>> Firefox has an export/import password function<<<

I had not come across this facility before, so I had a quick look. Worryingly all stored passwords are stored in non-encryped form, allowing anybody who has access to the machine to gain ALL stored passwords! I ( and I guess a lot of other people!) assumed that they would at least be hidden/encryped. Particularly since Firefox needs a password at load of a 'master password' to enable automatic logins.

Have I misunderstood -
 Memorised log-ins and passwords in Firefox - sherlock47
I have since discovered that the master password facility appears to have been defaulted to 'none' after a recent update. If that is enabled, it gives some protection, but not if the Firefox has been left running.
Latest Forum Posts