Computer Related > Can't find Win 7 Driver for old printer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 11

Can't find Win 7 Driver for old printer - Dulwich Estate
I have an elderly Brother DCP-110C printer which I only sometimes use and it's been fine with a computer running Windows XP. My newish netbook uses Win 7 Starter and it doesn't recognise the printer. It seems a driver is needed.

Microsoft don't do one and neither it seems do Brother.

I may have missed something of course, but try as I might I just can't get it to work.

Any ideas, please ?

Regulars will note that this is Episode II of my rant about non-compatibility with so called wonderful Win 7.
 Can't find Win 7 Driver for old printer - Slidingpillar
Does it need this?
welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/as/as_ot/en/faq/faq/000000/002600/000020/faq002620_003.html?reg=as&c=as_ot&lang=en&prod=dcp110c_eu_as&Cat=109

Can't find Win 7 Driver for old printer - Zero
Or this.

welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/as/as_ot/en/faq/faq/000000/002600/000043/faq002643_001.html?reg=as&c=as_ot&lang=en&prod=dcp110c_eu_as&Cat=102

Thanks, Sliding Pillar and Zero. Those pages looks familiar. I got to the point in the installation procedure where my printer model could not be found and it said:

Select Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname and click Next.

I got stuck at this point not knowing what to do.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Tue 17 Jul 12 at 22:39
you are connecting it via a USB cable?
 Can't find Win 7 Driver for old printer - John H
>> Microsoft don't do one and neither it seems do Brother.
>>

Brother says Microsoft provides it automatically via update:
www.brother-usa.com/lp/windows7compatibility.aspx

Follow instructions at bottom of that apge:
"1 During he initial installation of Windows 7, not all available printer drivers are listed. Clicking the Windows Update button will cause the operating system to query Microsoft's servers and download the remaining available drivers. Click here to learn how to update the printer list using Windows Update."

Last edited by: John H on Tue 17 Jul 12 at 22:43
Zero, by USB cable.

John H - I refer the honourable member to the reply I gave earlier.
Let me rephrase the question, have you made windows update since you put the printer on? IE the unknown device?
 Can't find Win 7 Driver for old printer - John H
>> Zero, by USB cable.
>>
>> John H - I refer the honourable member to the reply I gave earlier.
>>

With a USB cable, you should NOT be going down the network install route.

"If you are connecting your Brother machine via USB connection:
The built-in drivers you can install via USB connection are printer driver and scanner driver.
The drivers are installed automatically by connecting your Brother machine to the PC running Windows® 7 with a USB cable."

" ....
I cannot install the Windows® 7 built-in drivers from the Windows Update provided by Microsoft®.
welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/as/as_ot/en/faq/faq/000000/002600/000044/faq002644_000.html?reg=as&c=as_ot&lang=en&prod=dcp110c_eu_as&Cat=102
..... "
Thank you again - I will report progress in due course.
Well, I found the driver lurking as an optional download with a Microsoft update. So I did something right ( without knowing it !)

It's now installed, the printer is recognised - which is nice, but it still won't blinking well print.

I'll keep fiddling about.
I went back to the probem again today. The correct driver was installed, but somehow in the wrong place. It was in a user file not a windows one.

Not knowing what to do I updated the driver again and this time it gave me two options of where to save it and this numpty got it right this time.

I'm just like those sub-techies at car main dealers - in the absence of knowledge keep fiddling about and you'll get there in the end.

I can now print from the netbook - eventually.
Latest Forum Posts