Computer Related > Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 19

Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security - L'escargot
For the last few days I've had an on-screen message at startup reminding me that my 365 days Kaspersky license expires on 30th July. The reminder invited renewal at any time before 30th July. It was convenient for me to renew today, and I did so expecting that the next license period would begin on 30th July. However, once I'd carried out the renewal and paid the fee I found that the next renewal date is 18th July (today's date) next year, so I've lost 12 days of my current license.

How mean is that?
 Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security - Zero
You'll know next year.
 Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security - devonite
Seems daft to be buying it when there's adequate free protection out there! - to my way of thinking you`ve lost your money as well as 12 days! - My brother pays nearly £70 a year for security on his and hers laptops, and barely uses them, more money than sense! but can you tell them??
 Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security - Duncan
+ 1 for what devonite said.
>> Seems daft to be buying it when there's adequate free protection out there!

OK, so I'm daft.
:-D
 Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security - RattleandSmoke
Put it this way I always try and sell Kaspersky because it does offer better protection however I advise clients to renew through me, as I can do it much cheaper.

I have just bought some copies of KAS Internet Security 2012 for £10 each for example, and when 2013 comes out it can be upgraded free.

I love KAS as it is simple to install as a technician and very easy for the customer to use.
 Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security - Arctophile
Kaspersky is free if you bank with Barclays.
>> Kaspersky is free if you bank with Barclays.
>>

For how long is it free?
 Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security - Arctophile
This page...

www.barclays.co.uk/Helpsupport/Freeinternetsecuritysoftware/P1242557966961

...implies that continuous renewal is free if you use Barclay's internet banking.
>> .............. Kaspersky because it does offer better
>> protection ................

That's what I wanted to hear. Straight from the horse's mouth. Kaspersky gives better protection.
 Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security - Duncan
>> That's what I wanted to hear. Straight from the horse's mouth. Kaspersky gives better protection.>>

Not according to Which?

Security Software Programs

1. Bullguard Internet Security 12 £17 86%
2. Microsoft Security Essentials Free 84%
3. AVG Internet Security 2012 £30 77%
4. AVG Anti-Virus 2012 Free 75%

13. Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 £23 58%
 Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security - Focusless
Is the low score mainly due to the fact it's not free, or is it due to poor performance?
 Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security - John H
This www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge-64/results.php
testing website reports Kaspersky as offering "None" level of protection.

Of the top three (according to them), two are free.

www.matousec.com/matousec/about-us.php

Last edited by: John H on Thu 19 Jul 12 at 14:43
 Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security - Focusless
I haven't read all the text, but although Kaspersky as you say does poorly in the 'Proactive Security Challenge 64' tests, it scores an 'excellent' (93%) in the 'Proactive Security Challenge' tests.

I had a quick look but missed the bit where it explains the difference - can you point me to an explanation?

EDIT: I'm guessing it's 32/64 bit related but for example does it mean Kaspersky is good if you're only running Win7 32 bit?
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 19 Jul 12 at 15:23
 Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security - Manatee
I haven't attempted to interpret the reports above beyond the headlines. Common sense says that different approaches to testing will give a very different ranking. It seems likely also that rankings could change fairly frequently as new releases come out. What I want from AV is that it stops the most damaging and/or likely forms of attack.

I don't bother too much these days, as I never seem to have trouble with viruses, variously using AVG/F-secure/MSE. I put that down to not opening dodgy links and attachments, together with hardware (router) and software firewalls.

When I have looked at comparisons, they have all seemed to differ wildly from each other in their summary rankings. Here's one that seems to like Kaspersky.

www.av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_prot_2012a_en.pdf
Oooh! thats a bit of an eye-opener, there`s some big names in that red list!
 Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security - DP
I use Microsoft Security Essentials on all four machines at home. It's unobtrusive, light in terms of resource overhead, and it works well. Best of all it costs nowt.
 Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security - FocalPoint
"I use Microsoft Security Essentials... it works well."

Not everyone is convinced:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=6&t=11169
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Thu 19 Jul 12 at 18:07
 Renewal of Kaspersky Internet Security - movilogo
Why pay for antivirus when free ones are just as good or better?

From my personal experience, free AVG is better than paid McAfee.

>>
From my personal experience, free AVG is better than paid McAfee.

Most things are! - beware things like above shipped with new computers, they pay the manufacturers/sellers to install them from new as a trial version, in the hope that less savvy folk will panic into buying the full package when the "Warnings" start flashing up.
Latest Forum Posts