Computer Related > ipod app problem Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mike Hannon Replies: 6

ipod app problem - Mike Hannon
I'm not sure anyone here can help but here goes...
Yesterday when I tried to open Facebook on the ipod I got an advert for an app instead of the normal opening page. I couldn't get past this ad onto Facebook. 'My friend' - who is well-known to regulars here but with spanners and not for software cures! - said uninstall the app, re-load it and all will be well. It isn't. I got rid of the app then downloaded the latest one from the app store so it shows up on the app list for the ipod. But when I sync the ipod it doesn't install - when I put a tick in the box beside it to include it the tick just disappears.
It's a real pain because, for some reason, Facebook on my main computer has stopped responding to everything as well - I can log in as usual but it won't let me enter anything or click any 'like' tab or anything. Have I become paranoid or have I been hacked or something?
Any ideas welcome.
 ipod app problem - devonite
You `re right I cant help! - but it seems strange that you are having probs on you`re main computer as well? Is that showing the AD as well?. The fact that two machines are showing faults suggests to me that a hi-jacked account is likely! Sorry cant think of anything constructive!
Thanks anyway! The main computer version has been behaving oddly for a while now but it seemed to be linked to broadband speed - I only have 1mb at best because rural France is like the Third World and the other day it had dropped to 500k. I realised recently the G4 I use is now ten years old so is probably struggling with almost everything.
I've now discovered that the Facebook problem on the main computer was caused by using an old version of Firefox. It worked ok with Safari. When I downloaded the latest version of Firefox it let me download it, then kill the previous version, then it told me I couldn't use the new one because my operating system is no longer supported. Google Chrome also won't let me use it as the operating system is too old, so it's Safari for good then.
Maybe the ipod problem is because it uses iOS3 and the latest Facebook (I notice) is for iOS4? Its three years old so maybe that needs renewing as well?
I really, really don't care about computers or give a toss about snow leopard or whatever stupid name they are using any more so motivating myself to do anything is a big problem.
 ipod app problem - Zero
Its not a matter of motivation, its a matter of loosing your on-line abilities if you get that far behind.
Indeed, Z, you are right.
I bit the bullet yesterday afternoon and did an ipod upgrade - took about an hour and a quarter and if I was a nailbiter they'd be gone. Anyway, it appears to have worked.
And I realised that Firefox was my problem on the main machine, so that one's solved as well.
I guess I have kicked the can down the road a bit further.
 ipod app problem - devonite
just found this, but i see you solved the prob!! - but just incase you come across something similar!

windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/147765-Locked-out-of-Facebook-unauthorized-ads-message

and

www.computerworld.com/s/article/9229005/Facebook_launches_malware_checkpoints_for_users_with_infected_computers
Last edited by: devonite on Thu 26 Jul 12 at 20:15
Latest Forum Posts