Computer Related > Virgin Broadband - download limits? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 5

Virgin Broadband - download limits? - BobbyG
I am currently with Virgin and have been for last 15 years or so under its various guises.

Looking at comparisons with other providers but many of them have limits on their downloads - as far as I know Virgin do not have this. However for comparison purposes is there any way I can establish how much I use every month (or more realistically how much youtube the kids watch !)

Also has anyone any experience of moving from Virgin to other providers - was it easy?
 Virgin Broadband - download limits? - smokie
Are you Virgin cable? If so in my limited experience you'd be disappointed with anything else. Downloads speeds are (usually) towards the top of your package size, and downloads are smooth but can be rather spikey on some ADSL products I've seen.

Mind you, Virgin aren't the cheapest if you look at broadband in isolation - but earlier this year I investigated how much I could save by switching away from them and overall I decided that for the services and quality I get it was worth not going with the cheapest.

I think you are right, there is no overall limit, buit download speeds are throttled if you over-do it during their peak times see tinyurl.com/4zpr958 (help.virginmedia.com) for details.

I moved once from Virgin to an ADSL product and couldn't wait for the year to be up so I could move back...some years ago though so maybe not a fair statement.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 24 Jul 12 at 01:00
 Virgin Broadband - download limits? - bathtub tom
smokie. Sorry to be patronising, but I do love this: bit.ly/MjASfq
 Virgin Broadband - download limits? - rtj70
During peak hours I believe VM throttle bandwidth but you should get good performance even when throttled. Better when not.
 Virgin Broadband - download limits? - rtj70
To respond to Smokie... to get my package via VM would cost more. And to get phone/broadband via Sky is more than BT. I've done the sums, looked at offers, etc. And I benefit from upload speeds (very good for work) of 15+Mbps.
 Virgin Broadband - download limits? - Manatee
Nothing would induce me to deal with Virgin Media again after the way I was treated when moving my, and my aunt's, BB away from them a few months ago. I won't bore with the details but t's basically impossible to speak to anybody with a brain, the IVR is designed to thwart all effective communication, and they have removed email support.

I suppose if you are on cable then it's a different decision.

Unlimited ADSL broadband on TT costs me £24 a month including line rental and free calls to landlines anytime. I wouldn't waste money on TV content beyond the licence fee.
Latest Forum Posts