Computer Related > pc frozen up Computing Issues
Thread Author: sajid Replies: 13

pc frozen up - sajid
my pc seems to be frozen up, sometimes it fine then a few hours later goes off without warning, i thought it be heat, but looking at the motherboard bios temp the cpu is at 16c idling, the systems temp is 35c.

my specs are

intel i7 2600k
corsair h70 cooler
ati 6990 gfx card
western digital 1 tb caviar black
mother board is gigabyte z68 b3 ud7
psu is corsair ax850
ssd system disk is corsair force 3 128gb
and has another hd samsung spinpoint f3

case is corsair obsidian 650d

i updated the mother board bios to f10
the ssd got the latest force 3 firmeware

the gfx card got the latest 12.6 catalyst upgrade

the windows index is 7.6 the cpu was the slowest and all the rest of the benchmark are 7.9

am probably thinking it the psu not supplying enough juice as a few months ago there was a power surge but my pc had a powersurge protector or it could be cooling.

can any guys recomend any test to confirm

oh and i built the pc myself

pc frozen up - sajid
oh the ram is 8 gb corsair xms 18oomhz
 pc frozen up - devonite
Dont know why, but my "Spidey" senses are shouting Graphics card fault, as temps seem fine!
Spectacular specs if I may say so!
 pc frozen up - sajid
thank you for your reply when i am playing a game the pc freezes up a requester box says binary domain has stopped working.

otherwise it ok for surfing but when it on constantly it then locks up, how can i tell it the graphic card?
 pc frozen up - devonite
Clutching at straws! but having looked at your MB specs -eek! It appears you have several options for gfx. I didn`t see the ATI 6990 mentioned, so i assume you are using a pcl card? It does state that there is a particular order in which the pcl slots should be furnished, are you using the right one?. otherwise all i can suggest is if using pcl gfx, try it running on-board, or vice versa!

otherwise try here - might help!

www.guide4games.com/index.php/fixes/1795-binary-domain-pc-crashes-freezes-crash-to-desktop-ctd-blackscreen-low-fps-cant-launc
 pc frozen up - TeeCee
>> my pc seems to be frozen up, sometimes it fine then a few hours later
>> goes off without warning, i thought it be heat, but looking at the motherboard bios
>> temp the cpu is at 16c idling, the systems temp is 35c.
>>

Er, GPU temps? A lockup under load, especially when gaming, would suggest the possibility of the GPU overheating.
The current weather's probably not helping.

Try running both Coretemp and GPU-Z in logging mode and then seeing what the peak temperature for CPU, chipset and GPU were when a lockup occurred.
 pc frozen up - sajid
ok i installed both programs, coretemp the ambient temp is 23c the temps reading at the cpu are 24 minimum and 29 maximum, the gpu reads 44.5c both are at the moment idling.

the gfx card is installed in the pc express slot pci 2.0 *16 the main one and the motherboard doesnt have built in integrated graphics.

i was puzzled with your comment about the motherboard eek!!

is that as in wow !! or urgh !

thanks for the suggestions guys it probably be heat

pc frozen up - devonite
>>
i was puzzled with your comment about the motherboard eek!!

Dont worry! twas meant as wow! - To rule out any card probs then, are you able to borrow a different one to try?
May be PSU but 850W is more than ample supply, and the gx850 is AMD recommended! - unless of course you`ve got a dodgy one! -doubt it tho`
 pc frozen up - sajid
sorry mate got no one to lend me a gfx card, its a corsair ax850 i opened the pc last week when it kept shutting down unexpectedly, the fans were full of dust, so i cleaned them up, temps on the cpu went down by 10.c the 6990 gfx card is BIG, so was thinking may be dust in the fan.

any way will play some games and see if it shuts down, prob civ 5 or binary domain

thanks for the suggestions keep it coming

It was my first build and i cherry picked the best price performance, i was looking at the aria pc gamer last year which had similar specs to mine, but the bits they skipped was the quality of the motherboard, and other things like standard keyboard etc

when i got the time i look at it more closely and try and identify what doing what

pc frozen up - Focusless
You could try looking at the system event logs - in XP they're in Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer - see if there are any clues.
Last edited by: Focus on Fri 27 Jul 12 at 18:43
 pc frozen up - Zero
System event logs tend to be pretty useless with hardware lockups. Nothing is written at the moment of lockup, unless its the video subsystem.
 pc frozen up - Focusless
No doubt you're right, but wouldn't do any harm, and might rule some things out (like some sort of software-initiated shutdown).
 pc frozen up - Zero
indeed, but the problem is that people grasp at straws and subsequent red herrings (just to combine my metaphors) in the logs just before the failure.
 pc frozen up - rtj70
To speed up Windows NT 4 over 3.5.1 they moved the display driver into the kernel from user space... End result is a display driver could cause a BSoD.
Latest Forum Posts