Computer Related > Powerline adapters Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 22

Powerline adapters - smokie
Are they any good? eBuyer have a pair for £29.99. www.ebuyer.com/263575-tp-link-200mbps-powerline-adapter-twin-pack-tl-pa211kit.

Would be nice to remove the long Ethernet cable slung over the top of my garage...

Can you get two sets that will all talk to each other? (Not that I need them, but just a thought...)

And presumably I could hang a wireless hub off one?
 Powerline adapters - Focusless
We've had 4 Devolos in the past, now down to 2 (in addition to wifi), and they seem to work well for us. Stepson has one box in an upstairs room in an extension, other box is downstairs, 1930s house, so it's probably not got the most straightforward wiring.

Just 85Mbps units carrying internet traffic though, no high speed networking.
 Powerline adapters - Fullchat
I run a couple of Smart TVs on them and they seem fine.
 Powerline adapters - Slidingpillar
You may not care, but the mains is not designed to carry data, and raises the radio noise floor from DC to much of shortwave. As a result, anyone who uses weaker signals in this region could be inconvenienced. Usually radio amateurs, users of shortwave broadcast stations and the odd defense user. Generally the medium wave broadcast band is not used by powerline thingys, but if you like out of area local radio on medium wave...

Plus, you share the same phase distribution as a neighbour or two, so you'd better be encrypted with powerline. I've never operated them so have not read the book, this may be covered ok.
 Powerline adapters - VxFan
>> Are they any good? eBuyer have a pair for £29.99.

The link says it's £37.47, and delivery on top (unless you want to wait for 5 days)

Maplin have the following for £39.99, with free delivery (1 to 3 working days), and if you use the promo code DISCOUNT3 you'll get £3 off (£36.99).

www.maplin.co.uk/tp-link-200mbps-powerline-kit-621347

www.maplin.co.uk/tp-link-av-mini-200mbps-powerline-kit-634717

The eBuyer offer arrived by mail just before I posted this, I've missed the moment... Might have got them if a bargain but not really sure why.

What I really do need at the moment is a wireless router thingy which can be configured as an access point to replace the downstairs one, which is occasionally not giving out IP addresses until rebooted.
>> The eBuyer offer arrived by mail just before I posted this, I've missed the moment...
>> Might have got them if a bargain but not really sure why.

Quick - they're back to £30 again :)
www.ebuyer.com/367337-200mb-single-port-mini-powerline-bundle-xavb1301-100uks
 Powerline adapters - ....
All of the above...

You don't need to pair them. I have three 500mbps TP-Link units which work happily in the house. The 85mbps TP-Link units I previously had won't talk to the 500s. I think 10s and 85s will talk to each other, I don't think you can mix and match others.
To cut out any problems use the same brands and you won't have too much trouble unless you've got two different socket circuits running through your house which pushes the data back through the mainboard. This slows things down.

As sp points out there are some people who are not happy about these things.
 Powerline adapters - No FM2R
Yes you can hang a wireless hub off them, I do.

Frequently one needs to use them in pairs, unless you've bought 3 (or more) matching units. They don't need to talk to the other pair as such. You're using them to access a LAN.

Consequently any unit (computer, router, tv, etv) will be able to talk to any other unit on the same LAN.

They do not work through consumer units (meter board), so there is no risk with your neighbour. In fact if you have more than one board in your house, and I have two, then they won't work across them.

I use them all the time. Much more reliable than WiFi iun an older house, and typically better peformance.
 Powerline adapters - Victorbox
The only way we could get my son a reliable Xbox connection in his bedroom without resorting to a network cable. Works great.
 Powerline adapters - car4play
www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm

£31.42 a pair plus shipping.
 Powerline adapters - RattleandSmoke
I have mixed success with them and I only really use them when they are no alternatives. With improvements in wireless technology there is less need for them and you can get Ethernet bridges very cheaply now too.

On simple houses with modern wiring they usually work fine, but on large properties with many rooms and possibly wiring at different ages it can be a pain to get working properly.

Things may have improved a lot though in the past couple of years.
Got 5 of them working in a stone house built in the 1600s across many rooms far beyond the reach of any wireless.

And there does seem to have been particular improvement in the last 2 years.
Found 'em really cheap - £28.04 with a code, plus a couple of quid back on Quidco so I ordered them.

If they are any good I might splash out on a wireless one to be my extender, and do away with the thing I'm currently using.
 Powerline adapters - Stuartli
>> www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm>>

Solwise also offer plenty of free on-line or telephone advice on such adapters, telephone sockets, wireless connections etc.
 Powerline adapters - R.P.
Thunder storm blew one of ours out yesterday. Ordered a new pair from Amazon. Do they need to be in matched pair or will one brand's plug work with another ? ( i.e. can I plug the spare one in the kitchen and use it as a wired link to the router for my laptop ?)
 Powerline adapters - Pezzer
We have three of the same make working (tplink) . They do need to be compatible. The earlier 85Mbp ones do not work with the newer/faster versions.
Just checked the spec they are 85Mpb units. Give it a try when I get the new ones. The fritzed one is junk now.
>Do they need to be in matched pair or will one brand's plug work with another

I'm afraid the answer is that they may, but its not always so.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 25 Aug 12 at 17:27
>> >> Do they need to be in matched pair or will one brand's plug work with
>> >> another
>>
>> I'm afraid the answer is that they may, but its not always so.

That is, if you choose carefully (eg. not mix 1.0 with AV, as mentioned above I think), they are supposed to:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug#Interoperability
Curry's have the 200mb ones (a pair) for £24.44 right now, use code PLINE5 at the last stage of checkout - reserve and collect, not sure what delivery cost might be...

www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tp-link-tl-pa211kit-200mbps-mini-powerline-ethernet-adapter-kit-twin-pack-10991859-pdt.html
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 25 Aug 12 at 23:12
they arrived, they plugged and played, they don't want to know the older one. Fair enough. May get a spare one sometime.
Don't know how new these are but you can get mains sockets with powerline adaptors built in:
www.powerethernet.com/

Neat idea, although somewhat more expensive than 'ordinary' adaptors - £193 for a starter kit consisting of a pair of AV200 4 port adaptors/sockets:
www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=13047
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 24 Sep 12 at 13:44
Latest Forum Posts