Computer Related > Ease of use forums Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 100

Ease of use forums - Pat
I found it hard to get use to the format of this forum after being a poster on many other forums who use PHBB and Nuke and various other makes.

However, although I would never be able to follow the threaded view which I find complicated I do miss the 'thumbs button' on other forums I use.

I also miss not being able to bold or underline anything and feel a bit like a child not trusted to behave with code!

One thing I hate is if I happen to lose my 'new' indicators, with new posts appearing anywhere in the thread it's impossible to find them all without checking the date on every single one.

So...I also miss the 'view all new posts since last visit' button.

Can we have one please?

Pat
 Ease of use forums - Crankcase
Bold and underline are available surely Pat?
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 31 Jul 12 at 17:55
 Ease of use forums - Pat
I know how to do them.....but they are not available in the easy format for those who don't know, are they?

I also feel by not encouraging them, they are somewhat frowned upon.

Pat
 Ease of use forums - Zero
Ah but those of us in the know don't want those who don't know, to know.
 Ease of use forums - L'escargot
>> Ah but those of us in the know don't want those who don't know,
>> to know.

>>

I found out how to do them by clicking on "Reply to this message" and then clicking on "Quote Original Message".
 Ease of use forums - Dog
>>
I found out how to do them by clicking on "Reply to this message" and then clicking on "Quote Original Message"<<

Theres's a clever fella but, what does tt actually mean - I can think of two things ;)
>> Theres's a clever fella ...........

Why than you kind sir Dog!
 Ease of use forums - VxFan
>> I also miss not being able to bold or underline anything and feel a bit like a child not trusted to behave with code!

There has never been a block on people using underline, bold, or itallics.

The only 'code' that isn't available are certain HTML commands. Font Size & Marquee, for example. There were a couple of naughty children who didn't behave and because of that it impacts on the rest of the forum members. This happens in all walks of life, not just on here.

>> I know how to do them.....but they are not available in the easy format for
>> those who don't know, are they?

But Pat, it's always been that way for as long as I can remember (< 2002). And if people don't know, they can always ask - which does happen occasionally.
 Ease of use forums - Pat
>>But Pat, it's always been that way for as long as I can remember <<

But that is no reason why it has to be that way for ever more:)

It's not a problem for me at all, at least not half as much as not having a 'view new posts' button!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 04:14
 Ease of use forums - Dog
This is the only other forum I dip into on a daily basis, its quite sophisticated in its modus operandi but,
I'm quite happy with the way C4P worx.

www.expatforum.com/expats/cyprus-expat-forum-expats-living-cyprus/
 Ease of use forums - TeeCee
Shame h*** doesn't seem to work (I just tried).
Better than posting links longhand and infinitely safer than URL shortening services, as you can see where the link goes.
Last edited by: TeeCee on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 15:24
>> Shame href doesn't seem to work

It used to, but the people who used it didn't add the extra bit of coding (target="_blank") to open the link in a new browser window and thus took anyone that clicked on it away from the forum.

eg.

prefered method
CLICK HERE to go to Google

wrong method
CLICK HERE to go to Google
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 2 Aug 12 at 00:38
 Ease of use forums - TeeCee
Ah yes. I remember bringing that up when HTML use in posts was in pilot over at The Register.
What was done there was a bit of a tweak behind the scenes server-side to make clicked links open in a new tab, regardless of whether or not the link poster had bothered to specifically state it should.
>> But that is no reason why it has to be that way for ever more:)

But the only difference in doing bold / underline / itallics here is to use the less than and greater symbol, whereas on somewhere like vbulletin you use the open and close square brackets.
>> There were a couple of naughty children who didn't behave ..............

I can feel my ears burning.
:-D

>> I also feel by not encouraging them, they are somewhat frowned upon.
>>
>> Pat
>>

Do you mean like this :(?
 Ease of use forums - Pat
So it's all your fault L'es, I might have known it was;)

Pat
>> So it's all your fault L'es, I might have known it was;)
>>
>> Pat
>>

Do I deserve a Pat on the back?
>> I know how to do them .............

One solution would be for you to tell the rest of the Car4play members how to do them.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 11:12
 Ease of use forums - Duncan
>> One solution would be for you to tell the rest of the Car4play members how to do them.
>>

IIRC it has been explained a number of times.

Weren't you paying attention - that boy at the back?
 Ease of use forums - car4play
Noted Pat - thanks

S
 Ease of use forums - nyx2k
i'm completely at a loss as to bold or italics and as for how to cross out a word I haven't a clue.
maybe I'm guilty of posting in the wrong order but I wouldn't know what I've done wrong unless someone told me
 Ease of use forums - Pat
....and neither would you have done it impatiently.

That was the point I was trying to make yesterday in the Olympics thread.

That I just find it easier not to post in those threads, however, I don't have any problem with those who do want it that way.

I certainly didn't mean to hijack the Olympics thread as happened and this post was the reason for getting forum post discussions away from that so the otheres (impatient pedants!) can enjoy themselves in peace.

As a child I was very impatient and I remember long lectures from my Mother on tolerance of others.

I sometimes think this word has become redundant some 50 odd years later!

Pat
>> I sometimes think this word has become redundant some 50 odd years later!
>>
>> Pat
>>

From what I saw when you posted a picture of your legs/knees, I refuse to believe that you're as old as that.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 12:02
 Ease of use forums - Pat
Oh thank you, L'es!

*wwalks away blushing*

Pat
>> i'm completely at a loss as to bold or italics and as for how to
>> cross out a word I haven't a clue.

Bold Underline Italics Strike through etc, combining them if necessary.
Click on "Reply to this message" and then click on "Quote Original Message".
 Ease of use forums - rtj70
The forums that let you easily change the colour, size, style, etc. for text can let things get out of hand. And don't get onto inline photos which then appear in replies etc.

Keeping it simple is my preference :-).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 12:01
>> The forums that let you easily change the colour, size, style, etc. for text can
>> let things get out of hand. And don't get onto inline photos which then appear
>> in replies etc.
>>
>> Keeping it simple is my preference :-).
>>

Let us just list what is available, we have

• Bold
  • Italic
  • underline
  • teletype
  • strikethrough
  • Subscript subscript
  • superscript superscript
  • Small small

there that should keep you amused
 Ease of use forums - Mapmaker
As I have written previously, I think this is the best forum software I ever use - and I use several types. Now that new messages are in bright blue (rather than having a nearly invisible 'new' beside them) it is almost perfect.
 Ease of use forums - devonite
Like I suggested in another thread, the "report Message" button is now U/S, its function is incorporated in the red-Scowly, so why not convert it to a "start new topic" button in multi-topic threads? - save having to reply to the top one (which in an 80+ thread is out of sight and hence mind!)

Last edited by: devonite on Wed 1 Aug 12 at 12:24
 Ease of use forums - Focusless
>> "start new topic" button in multi-topic threads?

+1 and for all threads - any thread can (and many do) become multi-topic
 Ease of use forums - rtj70
>> the "report Message" button is now U/S

If you hit the report message button an email is sent to the moderators straightaway. The other buttons allow us to moderate the site ourselves but it takes quite a few scowl faces to hide a post - so if something is spam or offensive it might be sensible to still use the report button.
>> if something is spam or offensive it might be sensible to still use the report button.

Wot he said. Using the other button doesn't notify us mods UNLESS you include a message - which is optional.
Told you the BIG tag wouldn't last long.
That's what happens when people abuse it.
 Ease of use forums - Pat
It waould also help if current registered users were NOT allowed to change their user names willy nilly.

Why would anyone want to do that

Even more bewildering when they have such a distinctive posting style....

Pat
>> It waould also help if current registered users were NOT allowed to change their user
>> names willy nilly.
>>
>> Why would anyone want to do that
>>
>> Even more bewildering when they have such a distinctive posting style....
>>
>> Pat

OMG! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN
 Ease of use forums - John H
>> OMG! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN
>>

Driving a Jap car does that to you. Your domain is taken though -

zero.jp/

www.zero-group.co.jp/

Last edited by: John H on Fri 10 Aug 12 at 09:45
 Ease of use forums - Bromptonaut
Usually pretty easy to i/d folks, even if they flounce and re-register. Changes to existing names beat the search. Search for posts by Zero will produce no results found.
 Ease of use forums - Webmaster
>> Changes to existing names beat the search.

I still know who they are. I get an email notifying that "person x" has changed their username to "person y". I then forward the email onto the moderators so they're aware too.

Too much messing about and I'll simply disable their account or I'll change their username to one of my choosing and then lock the account to prevent it being changed again.

You've been warned!
 Ease of use forums - Dog
>>It waould also help if current registered users were NOT allowed to change their user names willy nilly. Why would anyone want to do that<<

+1
>> It waould also help if current registered users were NOT allowed to change their user
>> names willy nilly.
>>
>> Why would anyone want to do that?

I'd guess it's to try to get away from their previous reputation.
...or wind Pat up :)
 Ease of use forums - Pat
On this occasion, I think it's to live up to it.

Pat
 Ease of use forums - Pat
He's picked the wrong time again, I'm working for the next three days...that's why the sun is shining:(

Pat
I see someone, other than me, has changed my name.

I am really not happy with that, as it happens.
>> I see someone, other than me, has changed my name.

Me. www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=11445&m=256739&v=e

>> I am really not happy with that, as it happens.

If you *really* do want the Chinese username instead of Zero, then change it back again, BUT don't keep changing your username just for the sake of it, or to provoke a reaction from other forum members.
 Ease of use forums - No FM2R

>> BUT don't keep changing your username just for the sake of it, or to
>> provoke a reaction from other forum members.

Why not? Does it cause some kind of server resource drain? Or is it because it disrupts this finely tuned, on-topic, disciplined forum?

Or ?
 Ease of use forums - John H
>> Why not?
>>

How dare you question the Webmaster aka VxFan?

Aaaah, I see.
>> How dare you question the Webmaster aka VxFan?

lol. Not even close.
 Ease of use forums - Bromptonaut
>>
>> >> BUT don't keep changing your username just for the sake of it, or to
>> >> provoke a reaction from other forum members.
>>
>> Why not? Does it cause some kind of server resource drain? Or is it because
>> it disrupts this finely tuned, on-topic, disciplined forum?
>>
>> Or ?

I don't think there's an issue with people changing their username occasionally to reflect location, vehicle or whatever. If however others had decided to join Zeddo's game yesterday then it was likely to end in grief for users and webmaster.

A few months ago I was trying to locate a particular discussion. Couldn't remember orig subject as it was a drifting thread but our pilot chap was a significant contributor. Couldn't find a thing until I twigged he was no longer Alfa Floor and had become Fursty Ferret.
>>If however others had decided to join Zeddo's game yesterday then it was likely to end in grief for users and webmaster.

Not really. Its a control issue.
 Ease of use forums - Dog
>>Not really. Its a control issue<<

+1
 Ease of use forums - Iffy
...Not really. Its a control issue...

The one thing we cannot complain of on here is being overly controlled - in comparison to other forums.

Part of the fun of a small forum such as this one is getting to know the regulars.

Changing names knacks that, so I'm against it.

I suspect most of us knew who the name-changers were in this thread and took it as it was intended, a bit of fun. So while I understand why the Boss issued the warnings, I was a bit surprised he took the step of restoring normality himself.

But not really worth a flounce IMO.
>> Or ?

Inbox overflow. I'm sure you wouldn't want your inbox filling up with "person x" has changed their ID to "person y" - then "person y" has changed their ID back to "person x" or to "person z" etc etc etc.
 Ease of use forums - Clk Sec
Actually, not heard much from that Ifithelps chap lately.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sat 11 Aug 12 at 16:48
...not heard much from that Ifithelps chap lately...

No bad thing, I never liked him.

Ease of use forums - Runfer D'Hills
Oh he was alright really. Argumentative sort sometimes but basically a good egg...

;-)
Inbox overflow? Please. If everybody in here changed their name twice a day for a week it still wouldn't amount to much. And its not like you need to read every one unless something else happens.
Actually, ignore me. Its up to you and I can't believe I'm wasting our time being picky about it.

Sorry.
>> and I can't believe I'm wasting our time being picky about it.

Me neither ')
>>Me neither ')

Don't push, take it as an apology and leave it alone.
>> I am really not happy with that, as it happens.

Hopefully he's just out filming trains...
 Ease of use forums - Dog
Taken umbrage at what the Beastmaster said more like it.

:}
 Ease of use forums - FocalPoint
"I see someone, other than me, has changed my name.

I am really not happy with that, as it happens."

(Zero)

Not been seen since. Does that count as a flounce?

Or is he here under a different account?
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 13 Aug 12 at 14:34
I believe he has single-handedly been running the Olympic Ceremony (so some of you lot are in trouble when he gets back).

Ease of use forums - FocalPoint
"I believe he has single-handedly been running the Olympic Ceremony..."

I was wondering about that. But then someone has been banging on about how warm, funny and helpful all the volunteers have been and I knew Z couldn't have been among them.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Mon 13 Aug 12 at 14:52

>> I'd guess it's to try to get away from their previous reputation.

when its taken 4 years to build it up? I think not.
>> names willy nilly.

666 and Dog seem to be one and the same person. tinyurl.com/cer7cmb
>> 666 and Dog seem to be one and the same person. tinyurl.com/cer7cmb
>>

Well, they were on Fri 10 Aug 12 at 10:01!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 11 Aug 12 at 09:09
As you've noticed, the post's author is displayed as whatever their username is currently set to, which might not be the same as when posted.
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 11 Aug 12 at 09:11
>> That's what happens when people abuse it.

Or use it? thats just a matter of opinion.
 Ease of use forums - Duncan
We haven't had a decent flounce on here for a while.

As we are doing so well in the Olympics, I think we deserve one.
>> We haven't had a decent flounce on here for a while ................ I think we deserve one.
>>

You want one Duncan? Well, you've got one. I'm off. It would be no good you apologising, so don't bother. You've pushed me to my limit, in fact beyond my limit. From now on I'm going to get my 4play from elsewhere.
Don't worry, he's a snail, it'll take him two days to get to the door and he'll have calmed down by then.

Ridiculous, you wouldn't catch me getting over emotional in an online forum.
>> ............ you wouldn't catch me getting over emotional in an online forum.
>>

I'll believe you Mr W, thousands wouldn't!
I'm hurt.
@ NoFM2R, I rather like the "handle" you've chosen, but...could you, or indeed would you mind awfully reminding us what you used to use please? I've been trying to work it out but failed miserably ! I expect it'll be blindingly obvious when you do but for now I'm stumped !
Mark (Brasil)
Mark (RLBS)

I think that's the only two long lived ones I've used.
Ah ! Makes sense now !

I spent 5 years in Brazil. '87-'92. Mainly based near Porto Allegre but weekends mostly in Rio. We were shipping a lot of stuff every other day to the UK with Varig so they used to give us free internal flights as a "thank you" for your custom kind of thing.

Miss it in way but it was a bit dodgy back then. I think things are a lot more stable now. They had rampant ( 4000%) inflation sometimes. Strange times.

Big Frogs are an abiding memory. Big as footballs.
I worked in Porto Allegre as well. Also Sao Paulo, Rio (where my first daughter was born), Salvador, Curitiba and a bunch of others.

The earliest I was there was early 90s and the last time was quite recently. I've spent a total of about 7 or so years in Brazil.

It is more stable, I wouldn't associate that with less dodgy though!

I love the place. And the people. And everything else.

Where did you stay in Rio? My house is in Barra de Tijuca, I mostly worked in Praia de Botafogo. My daughter was born in the hopspital at the top of Botafogo.
>>Where did you stay in Rio?

Are you Scottish ( like me ) by any chance? We say "stay" rather than "live" :-)

Um, it was usually the Sheraton at Ipanema I'm inexplicably embarrased to say. Weird set up. Fair degree of luxury but often the balcony of your room looked on to a cliff side favella.

Beach volleyball, Scandi air crew staying most of the time and so on...curtural desert mainly but not so bad...

:-)
Scottish? SCOTTISH? £$^$£&$^£& SCOTTISH? You unmitigated *"(*£$"()%*^.

Still, I guess you could have called me English. I am Welsh.

The Sheraton at Ipanema deteriorated I'm afraid. Still better than anything on Copocabana, but not as good as osome of the others in Ipanema or Leblon.
Welsh eh? How's the Chilean seaweed? To your taste?

I can't stand the welsh stuff, never mind an alternative.

So I'm around Chile, Argentina and Brazil. When are you coming to visit?

In all seriousness, if any of you reprobates ever fancy getting this way, do let me know so I can help and hopefully offer some support and entertainment. Its a wonderful region and cheap once you get here. Its just the flights which are a killer (duration and cost).

Ease of use forums - Dog
>>From now on I'm going to get my 4play from elsewhere<<

Contact me via private email, I know of a few places.

Dog ging ;}
Sorry to be dim but I'm royally confused by the latter stages of this thread. Did something kick off here?
...Sorry to be dim but I'm royally confused by the latter stages of this thread...

Me too, but it appears there was some serial name changing going on which didn't go down well with the management.

I saw a post with a username of two Chinese characters which looks like it might have been Zeddo, but he's not been back to clarify, so I've really no idea.

Hope that helps. :)

>> Sorry to be dim but I'm royally confused by the latter stages of this thread.
>> Did something kick off here?

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=11445&m=256742&v=e
Oh OK, thanks both, not sure I'm much the wiser mind. Devil's own job to decide who's side I'm on, or indeed if I should care. Stressful y'know.

Ease of use forums - Pat
Of course if it was allowed to continue we would have the potential highly charged arguments between Dog and Perro, or fursty ferret and alfa floor, Lud and AC.....

Very confusing for newcomers and even more so for the present old timers:)

I think this is more about giving an inch and us all not taking a yard....we get around 2' 11'' as it is so let's just enjoy the freedom!

Pat
>> Sorry to be dim but I'm royally confused by the latter stages of this thread.
>> Did something kick off here?
>>

Sacré bleu et zut alors! I turn into a right diva when I'm hungry, but I'm alright now I've had my Snickers!

F.a.o Duncan - L'escargot
Duncan, it was just a joke! Barely just to some members though!

Lol

>> I know of a few places.
>>
>> Dog ging ;}

Stapleford Woods?
 Ease of use forums - Dog
= = = > www.swingingheaven.co.uk/dogging/dogging-search-results.html

;-}
 Ease of use forums - devonite
Good Grief Woofles!, nearly a million and a half members, almost 3000 on-line now! has this taken over from Fishing as Englands No1 Sunday pastime?
 Ease of use forums - Dog
Nowt as queer as folk, eh ike, I think I'll stick to me knitting though :)
>> = = = > www.swingingheaven.co.uk/dogging/dogging-search-results.html

"Two locations in Woodley, near Reading" - pretty good for a small town, and one of them is just down the road. Very convenient :)
 Ease of use forums - Dog
We know where Mr Zed is then: www.swingingheaven.co.uk/dogging/dogging-search-results.html
Latest Forum Posts