Computer Related > Remote Desktop Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 6

Remote Desktop - movilogo
AFAIK, Windows 7/Vista Home editions do not allow Remote Desktop.

So what is the best way to connect to my home computers from outside (say office) over the web?

So far I found following options:

LogMeIn - free version offers a web based interface. Quite slow.
Splashtop - only valid for iPad etc. no access from another computer
Team Viewer - free and good but it requires someone in target computer accept the connection - so that means no automatic log in possible.

Is there any other ways?

Remote Desktop - rtj70
Windows 7/Vista do support remote desktop - it needs turning on as it is off by default.

The problem you'll have from many offices is the port used (3889) won't be handled by the web proxy. That's where a simple alternative like LogMeIn is handy.

The options available will depend on how your work/office Internet connection works. Maybe you do have direct access to the Internet for example and it's not via a proxy?

I'm not sure I'd redirect the RDP port to my home computer via my router for security reasons. If I were to try connecting remotely I'd probably implement a VPN server at home and connect to that. Once the VPN tunnel was established I'd then use RDP or similar.

If you're happy to redirect RDP to your Windows 7/Vista machine then it should just work. Albeit insecurely.
 Remote Desktop - Zero
>> Windows 7/Vista do support remote desktop -

Which editions of Windows 7 include Remote Desktop Connection?
All editions of Windows 7 include Remote Desktop Connection.

You can use Remote Desktop to initiate a connection from any edition of Windows 7.

You can connect to computers running Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 Enterprise.

You can't use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows 7 Home Premium.

None of the Home Editions of Windows can be used to host Remote Desktop (i.e. where I am trying to connect from a remote PC).

There are some tweaks on internet which claims to unlock RDP into Home edition of Windows but subsequent service packs disabled them.

I tried those tweaks in Vista Home Premium SP2 and it didn't work!

PC#1 - running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
PC#2 - running Windows 7 Home Premium

Remote Desktop - rtj70
Apologies for the misinformation on RDP. I avoided Vista but assumed it was the same as Windows 7. And for Windows 7 I hadn't taken into account MS crippling lesser versions.

For Windows 8 they're trying to cripple all version with what used to be called 'Metro'.
 Remote Desktop - rtj70
An alternative to RDP then would be to install VNC. One version of that is known as RealVNC - the inventors of the connection technology:

www.realvnc.com

On the work computer you'd need only have the viewer.
I have finally settled with Team Viewer. It is free and easy to setup.

It also has an option where it can connect to remote PC without someone physically accepting the connection in target PC.

Latest Forum Posts