Computer Related > Skype. Low microphone level. Computing Issues
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 8

Skype. Low microphone level. - bathtub tom
Since getting my new PC other skype users are commenting my microphone level seems very low.

I've been into skype: tools: options: audio settings: microphone. The level's set at maximum. I've also tried 'automatically adjust microphone settings' without any noticeable difference.

I've been into control panel: hardware and sound: manage audio devices: recording: microphone: properties: levels. The microphone's set at maximum level (100) and boost at maximum (+30.0 db).

windows 7 ultimate.

Any suggestions please?
 Skype. Low microphone level. - Kevin
I'd try an external mic.
 Skype. Low microphone level. - Kevin
Assuming it's built-in mic of course.
 Skype. Low microphone level. - No FM2R
Go into Skype.

Tools/Options/Audio

Make a noise, how does it appear on the level indicator? It should go up about 75% of the way.

Near the bottom on audio settings, click on "Make a Test Call".

It will record you speaking and play it back to you. How does it sound?

If it sounds quiet to you, is your microphone shielded by something?

There's more to do, but this is a start.
External mike as on the old PC.

Tried all that No FM2R. I get a suitable response.
If you're seeing a reasonable response the fault, if there is one, is not likely to be a setting, and probably not at your end.

Essentially Skype on the test call just played back to you what you could reasonably expect someone else to hear. So unless the call environment is different when you're talking to someone else (background noise, for example) there is either no fault, or the fault is elsewhere.

If you have a google account then similar checks are possible there under Google Chat if you would like a second test.
Everyone says the level's lower since I replaced my old PC (it died).

I can't figure it out why as everything else's the same.

Try telling people that you've fixed it, but someone has told you that now it was far too loud. See what they have to say.

I could probably guess.
 Skype. Low microphone level. - Stuartli
There is something unusual about Skype's microphone setting (it's a long time since I used Skype for various reasons), but the mike setting is the opposite of what would be expected. I seem to vaguely recall that from the Volume/Mixer configuration (via the Notification panel) you actually muted the Mike setting from Options, but I could be wrong...:-(

There are plenty of Help pages on Skype to, hopefully, sort the problem out.
Latest Forum Posts