Computer Related > Thumbs Up & Red Circle Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 64

Thumbs Up & Red Circle - No FM2R
This message has been hidden as many of our users have rated it as offensive.
You may view it by clicking here
So, those thumbs and circles at the bottom right beneath a post.

What's that all about?
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - Mapmaker
I've just given you one of each.

I suggest everybody else who reads this follows suit, and then you'll see what happens...
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - rtj70
If you like something someone said it can be reflected in giving a thumbs up. Give a thumbs down and you show disapproval. The face changes colour to show how disapproving others have thought the post was. When there are enough disapproving the post is hidden. It takes a few disapprovers to hide a post. Very few use it for the intended purpose.

Edit: The word offensive is used in the disapproving option.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 30 Aug 12 at 15:19
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - Focusless
Official description in case you haven't seen it:
www.car4play.com/terms/house_rules.htm ('Things you can do')
Ok, so enough negative and it gets hidden. What happens if it gets loads of positives?

And can you look and see how many you get of each overall?
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - knowitall
>> Ok, so enough negative and it gets hidden. What happens if it gets loads of
>> positives?

You get smug, pretentious and overbearingly self righteous.

Yes you can see how many you get.
>>You get smug, pretentious and overbearingly self righteous.

Gosh, I must already have loads and loads.

Still, that would be befitting one of my exhalted position as a thought leader for the human race.
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - L'escargot
>> Still, that would be befitting one of my exhalted position as a thought leader for
>> the human race.
>>

You wish!
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - John H
>> What happens if it gets loads of positives?
>>

You then get invited to teach me (and Zero if he returns) how to achieve the same feat.

Last edited by: John H on Thu 30 Aug 12 at 15:42
>>Yes you can see how many you get.

How?
>>How

Blimmin' 'eck you're competitive. If you look at your post at the top, you'll see you have three so far... (it doesn't tell you how many red gongs you have received as it's a state secret as to how many it takes before your post is hidden).

Can you find out the total number you've received across all posts? Probably not.

In the beginning we had thumbs downs as well. But they just seemed to make everybody tetchy; clicking on the red button takes two clicks so is done less casually, I believe.
>>Blimmin' 'eck you're competitive

As it happens, yes. Its why I don't play 1 on 1 or team competitions.

However, this falls more under my desperate need to know. So if you can't see the score unless you go to the posting itself, what's the point?

Its not like I could search for Subject x with a score of n or higher. Which might be useful.

So what's it for?
>>As it happens, yes.

I'd never have guessed... It's never stopped you from one-on-one competitive posting... ;)
Believe me, that is my competitiveness so reined in you wouldn't believe it.

It is not a better part of my character.
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - Robin O'Reliant

>> You then get invited to teach me (and Zero if he returns) how to achieve
>> the same feat.
>>
Has Zero gone?
Keep up. He did his old trick of changing names (I'll leave it at that) and then a mod renamed the account back - could have been Dave (VxFan) - and he didn't like that. The forums loss in my opinion. One of the more useful members. But Dave must have had his reasons,
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 30 Aug 12 at 22:38
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - VxFan
>> could have been Dave (VxFan)

I get the blame for everything.

If Z wants to go off and have a hissy fit that's up to him. He'd have probably changed it back himself anyway at some point later in the day (if history repeated itself). Whoever changed it back saved him the bother of doing it himself.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 31 Aug 12 at 01:30
>>I get the blame for everything.

Not everything, I burnt this pizza myself.

>>Whoever changed it back saved him the bother of doing it himself.

Bit of a petty, interfering and controlling thing to do though.
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - Pat
I feel a bit responsible for this.

I complained that the rules allowed anyone to change their name...I don't think they should.

However, as they do allow it, it is entirely wrong that someone other than the poster is allowed to change anyone's name.

Filed under the 'because I can' action.

Pat
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - Webmaster
>> I feel a bit responsible for this.
No need to blame yourself if other members want to be silly and abuse the facility to change their username just for the purpose of winding others up.
IIRC, you previously said 'I think this is more about giving an inch and us all not taking a yard....we get around 2' 11'' as it is so let's just enjoy the freedom!'

>> I complained that the rules allowed anyone to change their name...I don't think they should.
So, would you prefer a method similar to vbulletin where a user has to email a moderator or admin to have their username changed, rather than allowing a member to change it and at the same time allowing a certain amount of trust that they'll be sensible?

>> However, as they do allow it, it is entirely wrong that someone other than the
>> poster is allowed to change anyone's name.
Even if it is an infringment of forum rules - i.e. could be seen as harassing / misleading other forum members? Or if the username was changed to one that caused offence? (the latter not with Zero I might add)

>> Filed under the 'because I can' action.
Not really, But as per usual:- damned if we do, damned if we don't.

>> IIRC, you previously said 'I think this is more about giving an inch and us
>> all not taking a yard....we get around 2' 11'' as it is so let's just
>> enjoy the freedom!'

Correct

>> I complained that the rules allowed anyone to change their name...I don't think they
>> should.

I still don't think it should be allowed at all.

>> So, would you prefer a method similar to vbulletin where a user has to email
>> a moderator or admin to have their username changed, rather than allowing a member to
>> change it and at the same time allowing a certain amount of trust that they'll
>> be sensible?

See answer above

>> >> However, as they do allow it, it is entirely wrong that someone other than the
>> poster is allowed to change anyone's name.
>> Even if it is an infringment of forum rules - i.e. could be seen as
>> harassing / misleading other forum members? Or if the username was changed to one that
>> caused offence? (the latter not with Zero I might add)

Yes I do.
If a forum member did this to mislead/harass or cause offence I would expect that person to be banned.

>> Filed under the 'because I can' action.
>> Not really, But as per usual:- damned if we do, damned if we don't.
>>

I find saying 'sorry I was wrong to do that' has a very good success rate.

Pat
>> I still don't think it should be allowed at all.

What, not even if a member asks for another name? People request another username on vbulletin through admin.
We allow our members to do it themselves and trust that they'll not be stupid/silly.

>> I find saying 'sorry I was wrong to do that' has a very good success rate.

I wouldn't say that I'm sorry and got it wrong. However, I may have been hasty in changing it and should have given him the benefit of doubt that he'd have changed it back himself. Ultimately though, I jumped on it before it got out of hand.
Some people can handle being moderated, some can't. Up until now anything of Zero's that did get moderated, it was like water off a ducks back to him. Maybe this was the straw that broke the camels back?

If I've upset Zero, then I apologise. However, I did have my reasons, which were explained in the other thread.
There....you've just gone right up to the very top in my estimation:)

Pat
Yes, we all make istakes. Life would be boring otherwise.
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - Zero
Just to clarify a few things, and place a factual marker in the ground.

1/ Yes I changed my name. I changed my name to ゼロ, which is not gobbledegook but the
Japanese equivalent (as near as you can get) of Zero. The link is obvious, but I will spell it out to ensure lack of ambiguity. The name Zero was chosen because I drive a Mitsubishi, and they manufactured the Japanese fighter called a "Zero", hence the subsequent choice of the name in Kanji script. . In no way was it lewd, rude, abusive or inflammatory.

2/ I changed my name BEFORE Pat commented about people changing their names. It was my action that prompted her comment so in no way was it done to "wind people up" or to get Pat to bite. ( I have far easier ways of doing that )

Suddenly my action has prompted such postings as "Too much messing about and I'll simply disable their account or I'll change their username to one of my choosing and then lock the account to prevent it being changed again."

3/ I then find my account name has been changed back to Zero by 'The Webmaster". Forcibly changed, not a request to change, or a request to explain it. Note this was not done by Dave, but by "the webmaster' - whoever this unidentified person could be. (Webmaster is usually a generic account id used by anyone who has the job that day of keeping the site in technical order)

Given the actions in 3 above, I was really not happy to contribute to a forum where a slightly amusing action on my part could be met with such a pathetically unjustifed and hostile knee jerk reaction, there was no "flounce" on my part (certainly not one worthy of the genre).

I have since become a little ambivalent to the occurrence, mellowed a little, and in truth If I sit on my fingers any longer there would be permanent neural damage.
>>1/ Yes I changed my name. I changed my name to ゼロ, which is not gobbledegook but the
>>Japanese equivalent (as near as you can get) of Zero.

Gobbledegook was my shorthand for "something I've no idea what it was, or might have looked like at the time." In no sense was it intended to suggest a lack of scholarship on the part of ゼロ

;)
>> Just to clarify a few things

Thank you Zero. Yes, it was a knee jerk reaction on my part, but IIRC you weren't the only one to change your name that day in that thread which is why I jumped in before it got out of hand. I did see it as initially you messing about. You're usually the catalyst/leg puller/wind up merchant (call it what you like), so I tarnished you with the brush this time too.
Now everything has been clarified, and the air cleared, can we shake hands and move on from this misunderstanding?
Welcome back, btw. Although I suspect you never went away lol

Last edited by: Webmaster on Fri 31 Aug 12 at 14:23
NP nameless one.
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - FocalPoint
"...nameless one..."

AFAIK on this forum the moniker "Webmaster" is used consistently by one individual whose identity is not really a secret.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Fri 31 Aug 12 at 20:56
I think most of us can guess who hides behind Webmaster's login. Let's leave it lie.

I missed Zero's Kanji variant of his name on here - looked quite cool. I'd have not said gobbledygook though. I'd have tried getting it translated.

At least the alter egos on here seem to have stopped now.
"The name Zero was chosen because I drive a Mitsubishi..."

This is slightly disingenuous, is it not? Your "other" nicknames, on this and other forums, have a similar meaning. Or perhaps C4P is the starting point for all the others?
>> This is slightly disingenuous, is it not? Your "other" nicknames, on this and other forums, have a similar meaning. >>

Eh?

He was Renault Family, VW Tourvan or summat, Seat Altea Ego.

He knows what I mean.
Come on then, stand up and be counted...who gave me the scowly face?

Pat
No idea, but have another one
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - VxFan
>> Bit of a petty, interfering and controlling thing to do though.

Sort of thing you wouldn't have done during your days as mod then? ;)
>>Sort of thing you wouldn't have done during your days as mod then? ;)

Oooo, fancy yanking my chain a little? That usually goes well.
>> >>Sort of thing you wouldn't have done during your days as mod then? ;)
>>
>> Oooo, fancy yanking my chain a little? That usually goes well.

Get out of it, the cistern is empty.
>>, the cistern is empty.

run dry by washing away all your ...uhh, ...... contributions.
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - Dog
>>If Z wants to go off and have a hissy fit that's up to him. He'd have probably changed it back himself anyway at some point later in the day (if history repeated itself). Whoever changed it back saved him the bother of doing it himself<<

That's right DD - he'd have changed it back himself.
So we're starting a campaign for Zero's name to be changed back to gobbledegook. Go on then mods... show us what you're made of. ;)
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - NortonES2
Should be 0 K. A very rare thing. It might not even exist....
>> So we're starting a campaign for Zero's name to be changed back to gobbledegook.

I'm distancing myself from any such campaign. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 31 Aug 12 at 08:43
>> >> What happens if it gets loads of positives?
>> >>
>>
>> You then get invited to teach me (and Zero if he returns) how to achieve
>> the same feat.
>>
>>
>>

There you go, Mark.

Your thread, plus a mention of Zero, plus an apology by The Webmaster due to Pat suggesting it, resulted in Zero coming back.

I think you & I & Pat and the Webmaster deserve a thumps up for that, but some might give us a scowly face for it!

:)

Last edited by: John H on Fri 31 Aug 12 at 15:18
Why do I have a feeling I shall live to regret this!

However, it does seem to take a female to restore peace and.............:)

Pat
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - commerdriver
>> it does seem to take a female to restore peace
I thought it was a female who made the complaint which started it all

or is this female logic.....

Of course it is.

Now look, if you want a fight about what started it, I'm ready!

Pat
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - commerdriver
>> Now look, if you want a fight about what started it, I'm ready!

I learned long ago that nice boys don't fight with girls
(mainly because the girls fight dirty) :-)
>>Your thread, .................... resulted in Zero coming back.

I'm very sorry and I hang my head in shame. I have brought disgrace upon us all.
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - Kevin
>I have brought disgrace upon us all.

And a curse. Don't forget the curse.
oh yes, the curse, I am *very* sorry about the curse. And the damnation. Most of all the damnation.
Any news about the horsemen of the apocalypse?
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - Kevin
>Any news about the horsemen of the apocalypse?

Oh my Glub!!

It's not only a full moon tonight - it's a Blue Moon!

We're all doomed. Doomed I say!
 Thumbs Up & Red Circle - swiss tony
>> Any news about the horsemen of the apocalypse?
>>

youtu.be/_js48XLLfXk
>> Any news about the horsemen of the apocalypse?

Yes, Julio Madariaga wants his daughter back.
One of the things I like about Car4play is that it's much more friendly, and with fewer overbearing posts, than another motoring forum I used to visit. I hope it's going to stay that way.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 1 Sep 12 at 07:04
So do I L'es, but I do wish you'd all get up a bit earlier in the morning and go to bed at a sensible time at night.

Paty
Last edited by: pda on Sat 1 Sep 12 at 07:23
>> So do I L'es, but I do wish you'd all get up a bit earlier
>> in the morning and go to bed at a sensible time at night.

With your special 4:00am cold breakfast on offer?

No chance missus
>> ...... but I do wish you'd all get up a bit earlier
>> in the morning ......

How early?
>> So do I L'es, but I do wish you'd all get up a bit earlier
>> in the morning and go to bed at a sensible time at night.
>>
>> Paty
>>

Les, I hope you noticed that you get a personal messaged signed "Paty", whereas the rest of us just get "Pat".

>> Les, I hope you noticed that you get a personal messaged signed "Paty", whereas the
>> rest of us just get "Pat".

Jealousy will get you nowhere!
L'es and I have a......bit of an understanding!

Pat
>> L'es and I have a ...... bit of an understanding!

Just tell me how early you want me to get up!
Just as long as it's before the rest of them L'es (and we have a fair bit of leeway on that one), we'll be alright;)

Pat
>> Just as long as it's before the rest of them L'es .............

Say no more, nudge nudge, wink wink!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 2 Sep 12 at 07:23
Latest Forum Posts