Computer Related > Got Bing, don't want it Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 17

Got Bing, don't want it - Ambo
I downloaded updates from MS and one turned out to be Bing. This now clutters my desktop screen and renders icons hard to see behind a lurid daily picture. I don't want the news feature either. I can't see how to get rid of Bing. Can anyone suggest a way please?
 Got Bing, don't want it - Slidingpillar
Odd, various software sets homepage to Bing, and installs the Bing toolbar on your web browser but I see no reference to a stand-alone Bing thing.

Browser add-ons are easy to nullify (Firefox > Tools > Add ons, IE > Tools > Manage Add ons).

Programs should be in Settings > Control Panel > Programs if you have Vista and I don't doubt nanny Microsoft has made it harder to find if you have Windows 7.
 Got Bing, don't want it - John H

>> I don't doubt nanny Microsoft has made it harder to find if you have Windows
>> 7.
>>

At least nanny Microsoft has the competition authorities keeping an eye on it, whereas strict Nanny Apple is allowed to set its own rules and if you don't like do it the Nanny Apple way you can get stuffed.

re. OP's question, plenty of suggestions on the internet to try out.
 Got Bing, don't want it - Zero
Something funny there, sounds like you got Bing Desktop, which I thought was a USA only option.

How to uninstall Bing Desktop

To uninstall Bing Desktop from Windows Vista or from Windows 7, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Programs and Features.
In the Uninstall or change program list, click Bing Desktop, and then click Uninstall.
Follow the instructions.
 Got Bing, don't want it - spamcan61
So did I, but my Win7 laptop has been nagging me to download it for about the last month.
 Got Bing, don't want it - Zero
It was pushed as an optional update in April to the US market, but I thought it was banned under the EU anti trust ruling against MS.

Wonder how they decide where you reside?
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 18 Sep 12 at 20:11
 Got Bing, don't want it - Bromptonaut
Good reason to click the Custom Install button when updates are ready. You then have the choice to de-select stuff you don't want. Done that since they tried to migrate us to IE6 (or was it 7?) before we felt ready.

>> Good reason to click the Custom Install button when updates are ready. You then have
>> the choice to de-select stuff you don't want. Done that since they tried to migrate
>> us to IE6 (or was it 7?) before we felt ready.
>>
Win7 doesn't seem to have the 'don't remind me about this update again' option that XP has though :-/ (not tried googling it admittedly)
 Got Bing, don't want it - Stuartli
Right click on the update when on screen from Windows Update and select Hide.
I have Win7. I have done what you say, Zero, and have got rid of the Bing strap on desktop and installed a clearer screensaver picture, but the news etc. services still appear on engaging IE. Following your suggestion, Slidingpillar, shows Bing under Manage Add-Ons/Search Providers as default but Not Avaiable and it can't be removed from there. I can't find anything to help from MS "help" services. Maybe I am just stuck with it.

>> find anything to help from MS "help" services. Maybe I am just stuck with it.
>>

1. Try a system restore to a point earlier than the date you installed Bing desktop.

2. If that fails, contact MS updates support for free help
support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

Got Bing, don't want it - devonite
Snippet from the "Web"!

>>Remove its search engine. Its Microsoft's. Select the arrow by the magnifying glass / manage search providers. select bing then delete it

HTH
Thanks devonite but is this via Tools/Manage add-ons/Search Providers? There is no arrow there and the words "manage search providers" do not appear.
>> Thanks devonite but is this via Tools/Manage add-ons/Search Providers? There is no arrow there and
>> the words "manage search providers" do not appear.
>>

Why don't you try the first simple obvious solution - a system point - as I have suggested?

Or is it that you just like to make things complicated?

>> Right click on the update when on screen from Windows Update and select Hide.
>

cheers i'll give that a bash
The simpler the better but the only restore points displayed are at the installation of Bing or later. There doesn't seem to be a way of getting further back. I have given up the strugggle.
Well, not quite. I found that I could very easily substitute the clutter-free Google homepage as main so I am Bingless at last.
 Got Bing, don't want it - L'escargot
It sounds as if I'm too late, but I came across "How to uninstall Bing" by doing a bit of googling. www.fettesps.com/how-to-uninstall-bing/
Latest Forum Posts