Computer Related > New Virgin Hub - speed issues Computing Issues
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 24

New Virgin Hub - speed issues - BobbyG
Upgraded my broadband from 10MB to 30MB with Virgin. Received the new hub thing to install today in place of the previous router and modem.

Before I disconnected the old router and modem I ran a speedtest and I was getting on average 9.5MB. Followed all the instructions in setting up the new hub thing and I am now only getting between 1 and 1.5MB.

Have tried both wireless and hard wiring to the hub but the speed does not alter. Have restarted the laptop, unplugged hub, pressed the reset button on the hub etc and none of it has made a difference.

Have phoned Virgin twice but got the Indian call centre (my thinking of leaving button doesn't seem to be there tonight that I mentioned in another thread!). They were not very helpful and frustrated me so much I just hung up.

Is there anything obvious that I could do now or just need to wait to phone Virgin from work tomorrow when I am not next to the Hub when they check it out?
 New Virgin Hub - speed issues - John H
>> Is there anything obvious that I could do now or just need to wait to
>> phone Virgin from work tomorrow when I am not next to the Hub when they
>> check it out?
>>

Many like you, apparently: "Virgin admit to Super Hub problems"

If you can't make any headway with Indian call centres, your best bet is to raise the problem on the community forum:
community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-60Mb-Setup-Equipment/bd-p/50mb

You may then get lucky and have a techie assigned to sort out your problem.

Last edited by: John H on Wed 19 Sep 12 at 22:24
 New Virgin Hub - speed issues - Manatee
Try switching right off and restarting first thing in the morning before work. If mine loses sync it usually comes back slower until I do this.

It does seem a big disparity though - I'm only talking about the difference between 1800kbps and 2200.

Does your hub tell you the sync speed?
Not that I know of - where would I get that from?
 New Virgin Hub - speed issues - smokie
Could be wrong, but did you have to call them as part of the install process - I think they used to download a new config file to it, or flip a switch at their end to make it fully functional.

Oh yeah, also if you go to the router in your browser (i.e. type 192.168.0.1 or whatever it's address is), don't log on, then click Router Status (towards the top right, in the black bar) - then go to Operational Configuration and look under Primary Downstream Service Flow at the value of Maximum Traffic Flow it should look something like your speed i.e. mine is a 60mb connection and the value is 66000000 bps
Smokie, downstream figure is 33000000 bps?
 New Virgin Hub - speed issues - rtj70
>> Could be wrong, but did you have to call them as part of the install process - I think they
>> used to download a new config file to it, or flip a switch at their end to make it fully functional.
Cable modems control/restrict speed. As smokie says a config file is changed to say what speed the link will run at. You mention 33000000bps which is 33Mbps... about right then. So the modem has the right config... maybe there's contention on your headend and you've not noticed before?
 New Virgin Hub - speed issues - Zero
>> Not that I know of - where would I get that from?

Good Lord bobby, its not our job to read your own technical support pages.

community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-60Mb-Setup-Equipment/How-to-view-your-modem-configuration-pages/td-p/40793
Wasn't asking anyone to read all my support pages, was just asking for general help in case anyone here had been through this before.
There are serious firmware issues with the Super Hub or whatever it is called. I thought powering it off/on helped for a bit.

But it has serious issues at the moment. But are the problems only wifi related?
 New Virgin Hub - speed issues - Manatee
Bobby has the same speed deficit when connected by cable.
And since the cable service is locked to a box (still?) he needs to speak to them tomorrow. The team in South Wales is probably going to help.
 New Virgin Hub - speed issues - No FM2R
I would leave it plugged in and switched on overnight until you call Virgin. Just before you call Virgin, check the speed again.

Certainly with xDSL it takes time for the maximum stable speed to be properly provisioned and negotiated.

There seems no other logical reason for the speed to drop, since the line capabilities will not have changed.

If it is a setting, then it is most unlikely to be at your end.
Ok thanks guys - will call them in the morning - tried it on a different laptop and getting same speeds so that possibly rules a setting on my laptop out (though not necessarily)
Mark, this morning's speed is 12.88 so definitely on the way up - will leave it for the rest of the day whilst I am at work and see if it climbs any higher.
>> Certainly with xDSL it takes time for the maximum stable speed to be properly provisioned and negotiated.

But this is a DOCSIS cable modem and not xDSL. The speed you get with a cable modem is capped at the head-end. Because it runs on a coax cable to the street cabinet, you've got none of the issues with signal you get with phone lines. Noise etc need to be within tolerances but that is sorted out during the install.

What does effect cable is contention - might be your on a busy head-end with lots of users doing lots of downloading and uploading. Check the speed at a quiet time of the day.
>>The speed you get with a cable modem is capped at the head-end

I know little about cable systems.

Nonetheless, surely the configuration file/settings downstream are provided and mainteained from upstream. Surely also the configuration settings downstream (frequency, noice, bandwidth etc etc ) need to match those held upstream.

Consquently, it does not seem unlikely to believe that performance will imrpove quickly int he first 24hours of use or so.

Also, contention in a cable service, whilst clearly possible, is not likely to drive a speed from 20mbps to 1mbps unles its truly critical - which I doubt.

However, as I say, I've never been involved wiht cable, other than as a competitor, so who knows? But if its getting better, its getting better.
Mine is certainly slower at times but never annoyingly slow. I have had problems twice which were down to my cable being put into a different port in the street cabinet for some reason - I guess they have low and high speed ports.

I've also had noise problems - can't remember the acceptable settings (which are set by the provider) but I recall them tweaking them before to sort it out.

Mind you, right now I'm only getting 20 meg on a 60 link, so it seems maybe contention can have a fairly large impact.
>>right now I'm only getting 20 meg on a 60 link

That is a serious amount of contention.

However, don;t foget in this case we are comparing a performance of 9ishmbps against 1ishmbps simply through the change of a modem. Consequently, I doubt its contention since where did it *suddenly* come from.

I imagine that it is to do with the relationship between the upstream and the downstream settings.
Just an update - have been monitoring my speed since I got in from work using speedtest.net.

Maximum I have had is 29.5 and lowest 0.57. Have also had a couple of occasions where the connection has dropped altogether and the big blue light on the side has been flashing. All this in the space of 2 hours.

I am off work on Monday so think I will just leave things be, see if they settle down any, and if not give them a call on Monday whilst I am in the house and have the time to follow all their suggestions.
The hub is still separate from the actual cable modem isn't it? It was when I had VM cable broadband.

If it is then try the old hub. If it isn't then ignore this.
 New Virgin Hub - speed issues - Pezzer
No they are now combined in the 'Super' Hub

Edit: Ah I see smokie got there ages ago :-)
Last edited by: Pezzer on Fri 21 Sep 12 at 09:45
Ican tell you what occus with DSL, which may or may not be completely irrelevant for cable.

Essentially the service speeds up and speeds up until it loses connectivity, it then slows down until it gets it back, then speeds up again, then slows down again, etc. Until it achieves the maximum stable speed the connection is capable of.

Fibre provides much higher quality runs than copper, but still can suffer at joints, junctions and switches. It must run some kind of similar exercise, although your results do seem to vary widely. Personally I think I would give it a couple of days, as you suggest, and then see where things are.

In that time I would leave everything powered up as normal.
>>right now I'm only getting 20 meg on a 60 link

Up to 65mb now :-)

btw Rob, the cable modem is incorporated into the superhub.

EDIT: while this thread is active I'll update this post occasionally with my speeds (using speedtest.net) to give an idea of contention on my 60mb link. Ping time (obviously) give advance notice of how good performance is likely to be. At 11ms just now, the speedo was bouncing over the rev limiter :-)

21/9 09:50 Down 65.90 Mbps. Up 2.90 Mbps. Ping 11ms
21/9 18:00 Still over 60, has been all day
22/9 09:20 67mb, woo hoo, what can I download?
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 22 Sep 12 at 09:18
Latest Forum Posts