Computer Related > Wireless problems Computing Issues
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 37

Wireless problems - Badwolf
Evening,

We have a problem with the wireless function on our Toshiba laptop. It will often drop connection which is getting increasingly annoying. It isn't our connection as it has recently been tested by a BT Openzone engineer. He suggested that it could be an issue with the antenna which is apparently surrounding the screen. Is there a way to fix this or is a new laptop the only way forward?

Thanks in advance.
 Wireless problems - rtj70
You mention BT Openreach engineer... so you have a BT Homehub. Does any other laptop have issues with the hub? I ask because they are known to have problems. Mine was fine but stepson back home form uni and sometimes his laptop won't connect. Everything else seems okay. Reset the hub and all is well.

It could be coincidence with that laptop being about and connected. Interference from other wifi can be an issue but I changed the channel and it still had issues. Latest 'fix' which seems to be working (or the problem has not reoccured) is to change from wireless b/g/n to just b/g. My computers are wired and so I'd don't really miss wireless N speeds.

Just a thought.
We don't have a BT Homehub, we are with TalkTalk. The BT engineer came round yesterday to install TalkTalk's fibre-optic service. I presume that, as the line is rented from BT, only a BT engineer can faff around with it.

Anyway, he was having problems getting the internet to work on wireless with our laptop. It works perfectly with a cable so the logical conclusion is that it is our laptop that is the problem. We only have the one laptop so cannot do a comparison test, although I can connect my phone via the wireless connection with no problems.

When the connection is tickety-boo the connection speed is faultless. It's just really annoying when it drops!
The BT Openreach FTTC service is resold by the likes of Sky and TalkTalk. Hence the BT Engineer involvement.

Does sound like it's the laptop. Have you tried the laptop somewhere else to test it.

Could just get a wifi USB adapter but not as neat as using the inbuilt wifi.
I haven't tried it elsewhere yet, but I'll take it round to the outlaws' this weekend.

A wifi USB adaptor might not a neat solution, but it would be cheaper than a new laptop!
 Wireless problems - smokie
Why wouldn't it be the wireless router or whatever is supplied?

What do you do to make it reconnect?
We were having the same problem with the previous non-fibre optic router. Hence the presumption that it's the laptop.

Would this adaptor be the sort of thing I'm after? tinyurl.com/dxdg3ox
 Wireless problems - John H
>> The BT Openreach FTTC service is resold by the likes of Sky and TalkTalk. Hence
>> the BT Engineer involvement.
>>

re. Openreach - Does not matter whether it is ordinary wire or FTTC.

(With the possible exception of Hull - I don't know what happens there):

All non-Virgin-cable services to your home are serviced by BT Openreach. Although part of BT, they act at arm's length to provide equal service to all landline phone and broadband operators.

"We’re the proud guardians of a critical national asset, the local access network; the infrastructure that delivers the data, broadband and voice services to each home and business throughout the UK, sometimes referred to as the ‘first mile’.
We were created to give communications providers equal access to the wires and fibres that connect us all, and to maintain and improve this infrastructure, which underpins the entire UK communication industry.
We supply Communications Providers with products and services that are linked to the network. We also work on their behalf to ensure that the tens of millions of people across the UK have reliable local access. This makes untold millions of calls, online use and sharing of information possible."
The point I meant to make is you need a BT Openreach engineer to install the BT FTTC Internet connection. There is no self install option like ADSL.
 Wireless problems - Stuartli
>>We don't have a BT Homehub, we are with TalkTalk. The BT engineer came round yesterday to install TalkTalk's fibre-optic service. I presume that, as the line is rented from BT, only a BT engineer can faff around with it.>>

Just for the record, the line from the exchange to your Master Socket is still owned by BT even though you pay TalkTalk line rental.

If it will help, I could pop round and check out the wireless connection.....
 Wireless problems - No FM2R
Assuming that the wired system is wokring proper;ly, then its nto really relevant how the service is delivered to your house.

If the issue was the antenna, I would assume that the signioal strength would reflect that. Can you see, or do you knowhow to check, the signal strength that the laptop is seeing? (normally a little bar chart in the bottom right of your screen, not dissimilar to the signal indicator on a phone).

If it is a hardare fault on the laptop, includng the antena, it is unlikely to be worth repairing.

Most likely will be the wireless access point. Testing your laptop elsewhere will confirm that.

If you do believe it is the laptop, if the software uptodate? And I mean the drivers and BIOS as much as the software.

Finally, if it is the laptop hardware, you could simply buy a wireless USB dongle, about £10 in Maplins, and use that instead.

Just one example, which may nor may not be a good one..

www.maplin.co.uk/netgear-n150-wireless-usb-adaptor-391315
 Wireless problems - Zero
As it happened on the previous router, did it on the old and now the new connection, as its only wireless, the only thing that hasn't been changed is the laptop, so its 99% favourite.

Yes a drivers and bios upgrade may fix it, - that or a cheap USB dongle like the one Mark indicated may be called for.
>>as its only wireless, the only thing that hasn't been changed is the laptop, so its 99% favourite.

Probably correct, but interference, positioning, wall type etc. can also be involved.
 Wireless problems - Zero
True, Wolfie ole chap, do you have a cordless phone? Try changing the channel that your router and laptop uses.
 Wireless problems - Clk Sec
>>Try changing the channel that your router and laptop uses.

This worked for me recently when I had the same problem as the OP.
>> >>Try changing the channel that your router and laptop uses.
>>
>> This worked for me recently when I had the same problem as the OP.

How would I go about doing this please?

Thanks for your input so far folks.
Zero can help.

However, first thre is an easy, no effort thingyou can do.

What power level is your laptop showing for your network?

Take the laptop to your friends house / macdonals / costa coffee / starbucks / anyone with free wifi.

Can you connect, does it stay connected and what strength is it showing?

If you find a difference in behaviour, then it is worthwhile tackling channel, interference, positioning issues - which can be niggly and irritating. (It is not dissimilar to solving a misfire on a four carb V8).

If you do not find a difference, then perhaps flash BIOS and upgrade drivers. (couldn't be bothered myself, but whatever).

If that is more effort that you want, or more technical, then go and buy a USB WiFi connector.

If you don't want to do that, buy a laptop.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 2 Oct 12 at 00:50
 Wireless problems - Manatee
>>If that is more effort that you want, or more technical, then go and buy a USB WiFi connector.

I've had 3 of these, they are great when they work. The first was a generic one that made the fastest connections I ever saw, but wouldn't handle WPA2 security. I've got a TP Link TL-W821N

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00194XKXA

on the boss's desktop now, 99% OK but sometimes just isn't seen by the system (I suspect when it's been hibernating - but sometimes it's OK). The same model just wouldn't stay connected on my aunt's PC which was in the same room as the router.

Cheap though, and worth a try if your subsitution test as suggested by NFM2R indicate your onboard wireless is kaput and driver updates don't work.
You log into your router and change the channel. Try 1, 6 or 11 first is the usual advice,

There's instructions for various TalkTalk routers here, if yours isn't one of these it's probably
along these lines.

goo.gl/6q5ev

If you want to see what channels nearby access points are using, try a program called 'INSSIDER'

www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 23 Sep 12 at 18:44
 Wireless problems - Zero
what router do you have?
>> what router do you have?

'Tis this one, Zeddo:

tinyurl.com/c3j6e78

Wireless problems - Zero
Ok, try this

Open a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, type 192.168.1.1 into the Address bar
Enter the username and password and click OK.
Note: The default username and password are both admin (this is case-sensitive).
Select Advanced from the menu on the left, and then click OK.
Select WLAN from the menu on the left, under Basic.
Under the Wireless Settings heading, change the channel in the Channel drop-down list. We recommend using Auto which will automatically find the best channel for your router. You can also choose an individual channel.
Note: You can select any channel between 1 and 11.
Click Submit at the bottom of the screen

Try taking it off auto, and choose a fixed channel.
He's quite right.

However, I still recommend simply taking the laptop elsewhere and trying it. At least this will give you an indisputable understanding of where the problem lies.

Otherwise you may simply be rearranging sunchairs on the deck of the Titantic.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 23 Sep 12 at 22:08
Just like the destructions for the HG532 on the TT website, in fact.
 Wireless problems - Zero
You think I made them up?

The manual for the 533 does not have the instructions, assuming it has the same OS as the predecessors, its worth a guess its the same.
 Wireless problems - Clk Sec
>>Note: The default username and password are both admin (this is case-sensitive).

...And if 'admin' doesn't work, try 'administration'. Also case sensitive.
I'd rule out interference. If I was you and I had an Android phone I'd get myself a copy of Wifi analyser and see what is using the frequencies. You might find the one your router is using is widely used in adjoining properties. You'll find a similar app for the PC - someone on here can probably recommend one.

It could well be the laptop, but one would expect it to fail all of the time. Unless there's simply a loose connection. Something either physical or environmental is triggering this.

The reason I mentioned my tale above was:

- Step-son away at Uni and no problems for months on end with wifi. He comes home and his laptop won't connect. Then wireless router needs a reboot. Until he turned on the laptop wireless was working for other computers.
- Changing the channel used for wifi did help a bit.
- Turning off wireless N seems to have helped.

no doubt updating software on the laptop might help but he's the sort that won't let me take a look unless it's really broken.
 Wireless problems - Fullchat
One of my daughters Toshiba was doing the self and same thing. A reformat cured it.
>> A reformat cured it.

So would probably installing newer drivers. An extreme solution. And no guarantee it actually made a difference - problem might still come back.
Just for interest I've just discovered that TalkTalk has issued a firmware update for some of its router models (others to be added later), the first time as far as I'm aware it's ever been done.

Open:

help.talktalk.co.uk/app/answers/router-update

after going into My Accounts. It's a straightforward firmware update.

Router models covered so far: Huawei HG520B, D-Link DSL-2680, D-Link DSL-2780 and Huawei HG532
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 24 Sep 12 at 00:42
>>Just for interest I've just discovered that TalkTalk has issued a firmware update

I got a notification email for that, I have a DSL-2780. Working fine already, so will leave it a few days and check the support forum before applying it!

I have the 2680 router. Installed the new firmware and bandwidth improved by approximately 1000kbps and download speeds went up from average 14Mb to approximately 14.6Mb...:-)
Worth noting that the firmware update inserts 30 into the Idle Time Out field for ADSL configuration - it should be changed to 0 (Always On) and Saved...:-)
Thanks for that. I have tweaked some settings so I need to note them before I update. I could do with speed increase, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Happy to report that a £5 wi-fi dongle adaptor thing off Fleabay has done the trick. Job's a good 'un!
Excellent.

Out of interest, did you ever work out what the issue is, or decide not to bother and just get the dongle?

Just make sure your family regard you with wonder for solving it, however you actually did it.
>> Excellent.
>>
>> Out of interest, did you ever work out what the issue is, or decide not
>> to bother and just get the dongle?

Not the foggiest notion what the issue was!
>>
>> Just make sure your family regard you with wonder for solving it, however you actually
>> did it.

My family often regard me with bemusement, rarely with wonder.
Bluff more.
Latest Forum Posts