Computer Related > Speed Test Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 6

Speed Test - No FM2R
How can I test speed between my computer and a specific computer, rather than using one of these internet broadband speedtesters where you seem to have no contol over where its testing to/from?
 Speed Test - Zero
>> How can I test speed between my computer and a specific computer, rather than using
>> one of these internet broadband speedtesters where you seem to have no contol over where
>> its testing to/from?

You can test response time (by a ping or tracert) to a remote site, but you will need read and write access to the remote to test speed. (ie send a file of a known size)
 Speed Test - No FM2R
damn.

And to interpret a ping time? in this case 350ms.
 Speed Test - rtj70
You don't say where the two systems are in relation to each other. 350ms suggests a long way. If I do a Speedtest.net test to a server in Palto Alto from Manchester I currently get:

Ping: 338ms
Download: 6.4Mbps
Upload: 3.8Mbps

Ping only tells you latency. You could still get a reasonable transfer speed as well you know.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 22 Sep 12 at 23:05
 Speed Test - No FM2R
I'm talkign Chile to the UK.

Thing is, a direct attempt to stream video from a computer in the UK works fine. To stream via a proxy the transfer suddenly bites the dust.

And I'm trying to work out why. It does not appear to be the proxy server itself.
 Speed Test - rtj70
>> To stream via a proxy the transfer suddenly bites the dust.

The proxy is the problem - it's throttling or restricting the bandwidth. Or just not able to keep up.

Can you get someone in the UK to setup a proxy for you to try out? If I wasn't going away in a few hours I'd be happy to set up something to test this.

A high latency link with sufficient bandwidth shouldn't stop video from streaming.
 Speed Test - Zero
>> damn.
>>
>> And to interpret a ping time? in this case 350ms.

Will usually appear like a slow response, (like a delayed web page for example) but you need an FTP port open and working to test speed. (or your remote is set to reflect)
Latest Forum Posts